Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flora changes...

• 08-06-2011 5:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

noticed lots of leaf kill on deciduous tree these last few weeks up here in Donegal. could it be due to the volcanic ash cloud or can someone explain the reason.

also happened to pull up a benweed (ragwort) yesterday. the only visible one in a field usually quite abundant in them. the effect of the severe frosts perhaps.

whins also took a hammering but will they eventually recover? hope not. good time to spray any green shoots perhaps.

just found this:

http://www.craicon.com/moville/1/movilles-vegetation-devas.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The weather has been drier than usual and plants lose most of their moisture through the leaves. Losing leaves is a way of retaining moisture.
    ootbitb wrote: »
    the effect of the severe frosts perhaps.

The suggestion is that the winter's snows insulated a lot of things against the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have seen quite a few dead leaves on deciduous trees around here too in the last week or 2. I put it down to the very harsh weather that we had in the last 3 weeks which would be very uncommon for this time of year. Yesterday all of the roofs of houses around us were covered white with hailstones. Night temperatures go down to 3 or 4 degrees. There has really been no grass growth for the last 3 to 4 weeks - thank god for the early growth this year that built up stocks. I was in the East of the country yesterday and it was 15 degrees. I travelled back to the north west in the mid afternoon and it was 7 degrees when i got home. For such a small country, there can be such a variance in weather.

A lot of evergreen hedges around here are dead because of the below -15 degree periods both last winter and the winter before. They just weren't used to those low temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thread on this in the weather forum, the consensus there is that wind borne salt spray is the main culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

nilhg wrote: »
    Thread on this in the weather forum, the consensus there is that wind borne salt spray is the main culprit.

We're 70 miles from the sea so the chances of wind borne salt spray reaching the flora in South Leitrim are about as great as Kilnaskully needing a lifeboat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Some trees can suffer from blight

• Advertisement
Advertisement