Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking money out of atm abroad ?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

im in the states and wondering if i should take my money out of an atm or is that going to cost me allot ? should i just transfer it to my credit card ?

which option is going to cost me less ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Relative to the cost of flying to the US and staying in a hotel, the charge for using an ATM isn't going to break you.

If you use the credit card, make sure you're frontloaded the a/c with credit to cover the withdrawal or pay the money into the a/c as soon as you get home cause cash withdrawals on credit cards attract interest from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

coylemj wrote: »
    Relative to the cost of flying to the US and staying in a hotel, the charge for using an ATM isn't going to break you.

If you use the credit card, make sure you're frontloaded the a/c with credit to cover the withdrawal or pay the money into the a/c as soon as you get home cause cash withdrawals on credit cards attract interest from day one.

If you have a Laser and Credit card are you better off using the Laser card for making ATM withdrawals abroad? Both cards are with AIB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

NUTZZ wrote: »
    If you have a Laser and Credit card are you better off using the Laser card for making ATM withdrawals abroad? Both cards are with AIB

What does the AIB website say?

AIB 'Click' Credit Card

FX Transactions – Visa Europe Region 1.75% of transaction value
    FX Transactions – Visa Rest of World 2.75% of transaction value

AIB Debit Card

Purchase transactions in any currency other than euro attract a currency conversion fee of 1.75% (minimum EUR0.46, maximum EUR11.43)

ATM withdrawal cash transactions in any currency other than euro attract a currency conversion fee of up to 3% (depending on the currency) and also attract a commission charge of 1% (minimum EUR1.27, maximum EUR6.35).

Does that mean the debit and credit card have the same ATM fee in Euro countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

NUTZZ wrote: »
    AIB 'Click' Credit Card

FX Transactions – Visa Europe Region 1.75% of transaction value
    FX Transactions – Visa Rest of World 2.75% of transaction value

AIB Debit Card

Purchase transactions in any currency other than euro attract a currency conversion fee of 1.75% (minimum EUR0.46, maximum EUR11.43)

ATM withdrawal cash transactions in any currency other than euro attract a currency conversion fee of up to 3% (depending on the currency) and also attract a commission charge of 1% (minimum EUR1.27, maximum EUR6.35).

Does that mean the debit and credit card have the same ATM fee in Euro countries?

Yes, but wasn't the question about withdrawing money from an ATM in the US? That's not the same as an FX credit card transaction. You'll be charged your 3% (+1%) for the ATM withdrawal, but only 2.75% for the credit card transaction...

Similar charges exist across all of the banks - here and abroad.

... credit card is the way to go, unless you really, really need the cash...

• Advertisement

Anatom wrote: »
    Yes, but wasn't the question about withdrawing money from an ATM in the US? That's not the same as an FX credit card transaction. You'll be charged your 3% (+1%) for the ATM withdrawal, but only 2.75% for the credit card transaction...

Similar charges exist across all of the banks - here and abroad.

... credit card is the way to go, unless you really, really need the cash...

I was actually asking for my own scenario not the OP's :). I'll be traveling abroad to Europe in September for a year and was just trying to find out which card would be be better value for withdrawing cash at ATM's, or which card over all would represent better value?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd use the ATM card every time. If you want to know the comparative numbers for your personal circumstances, check the details of charges on your Bank and CC websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

coylemj wrote: »

Not wanting to hijack this thread but a quick question. Does the bank cover you if you put credit into your credit card account and then your credit card is stolen and charges are racked up against it? I was just curious:confused:

DC

Advertisement