Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Happened PC Crash

• 08-06-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

So im a technically advanced guy but I had a weird issue last night and I dont know what happened or what might be dying:

So last night I was playing games away when I noticed system lag, the sound and whole game was stuttering... figured this was just the game so quit out and went about my business launched vent and same story there....

Time to reboot so....

Turn off computer freezes on shutdown Q 3 second Hard Power Off....

Back on and usual prompt for Normal Boot vs Safemode.

Select Normal system boots and once into windows hangs on a fully black screen for 10minutes, tried ctrl alt del task manager does not show.... right mustve frozen again... power off nope... 3 seconds and off.

Boot, try safe mode.... registry is corrupt please insert windows disk and preform repair. Normal mode same story...

Used windows 7 install disc and select repair tools, this scans computer and supposedly fixes a problem also referencing a corrupted registry, it asks to reboot, grand goes through the motions and just after bios posting it fires a quick BSOD up and reboots.... keeps doing this, tried safe mode same story..

Back into windows disc repair again... hangs on "searching for windows installs" reboot Vertex Drive no longer appears in BIOS, ****....

Put power down PSU off... back on Vertex back tried same hangs and same happens.... I disconnected the other 4 drives in the computer leaving just the vertex in... posts fine boots to windows disc and select repair.. Windows say cannot fix... right then...

Select DOS prompt and run "chkdsk /f /r" no errors. Powered off plugged back in 500gb drive tried again... same cannot fix drive fine... chkdsk on that drive clean.

At this point I had no choice so I used DOS to copy off all relevant files from the C: drive and move them to the slave and formatted and reinstalled all without a hitch.... once back humming I reconnected all the other drives and preformed full hard-disk checks all with no errors....

So.... what the feck happened... was it a fluke crash made worse by me hard powering off? I was at a loss... I was full sure that the vertex had packed it in AGAIN! Especially when it didnt appear in BIOS posting.... dont know why that happened....

System Specs:

3.2ghz Althon 2 Black Edition Dual Core
    4gigs DDR2
    2 x 8800 GTS in SLI
    1 x Vertex2E SSD 120gig
    1 x 120gig Raptor
    1 x 500gig Sammy
    1 x 1tb WD Green

Advertisement