Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in a small town???

Options
  • 08-06-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

I might (only might!) be moving to a small town, Merredin, 250 km east of Perth. Population is around 3,500 and one of it's attractions is a railway water tower!

So can anyone give me an idea what life would be like living in a place like this?? I've been googling like mad and not getting too excited about living there for a year or two. :(

Anyone any experience of living in a small town? Any help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Do you like banjo music? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

ballooba wrote: »
    Do you like banjo music? ;)

i would have thought that would be more relevant to alabama or kentucky:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I lived about 60km's from Merriden in a place called Muntadgin. I worked on a farm for a while to do my regional work for my second year visa. I also worked in Merriden for a while working as a spark. Nothing could drag me back to the place. Have you visited the place? There is only really one street in it and 2 pubs. It is so far away from anything that is anyway interesting. What is your reason for wanting to move there for a year or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I don't know it that well. It is about 2 hours further out than where I live. But it is on the train line to Perth and about 1.5 hours drive from Northam which is a bigger country town. That distance is not a lot for people that live out that way. I was in Northam last week and there were a few backpackers working in the bars. I have always found people welcoming in these small towns but then I have only being visiting. What are you planning to do there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't do it.

I live in a small town (pop. 5300) an hour's drive out of the CBD of Melbourne, and even though I'm on a major trainline, near a major freeway, so on so forth, it's still miserable for making friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for all the replies!

mr sudzs might be getting a job there, a 1 - 2 year contract probably. And it would be kicking off in 3 weeks or so. But we've both been looking at it on Google earth and both going off the idea. I think we might go insane there by the sounds of your replies! :rolleyes: I've been checking out the climate though and so far that is the only thing tempting me!

We are having a rethink!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

sudzs wrote: »

We are having a rethink!

The weekday fix just wouldn't sound the same between 21.45 - 23.00. ;):)!

Advertisement