Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulling hair

• 08-06-2011 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭

Our youngest has just turned two and he’s a bit of a bully sometimes towards his older sister who’s four. Whenever they get into conflict over a toy or something it always ends with him grabbing a handful of his sister’s hair. He’s got a pretty strong grip and sometimes he’s pulled out a lump of her hair.
    He’s been put on the naughty step every time and we’ve explained that he’s not to pull hair but it hasn’t seemed to have any effect. Recently we’ve given his hair a pull whenever he’s grabbed his sisters. He gets pretty upset by this and feels very sorry for himself when this happens – but we thought that he should learn that pulling hair is not nice – not really sure if this is having any effect on his behavior either though to be honest.
    Has anyone any advice or previous experience of how to deal with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Our youngest has just turned two and he’s a bit of a bully sometimes towards his older sister who’s four. Whenever they get into conflict over a toy or something it always ends with him grabbing a handful of his sister’s hair. He’s got a pretty strong grip and sometimes he’s pulled out a lump of her hair.
    He’s been put on the naughty step every time and we’ve explained that he’s not to pull hair but it hasn’t seemed to have any effect. Recently we’ve given his hair a pull whenever he’s grabbed his sisters. He gets pretty upset by this and feels very sorry for himself when this happens – but we thought that he should learn that pulling hair is not nice – not really sure if this is having any effect on his behavior either though to be honest.
    Has anyone any advice or previous experience of how to deal with this?

Hiya..

Not sure if this will help or not but im a childcare worker and a mom of 2 so here goes. I think ye are doing the right thing by putting him on the naughty step.. Obviously we dont have a naughty step in the creche where i work but we do have a chair that we put the children on for time out once they have done something "silly" :rolleyes:

What i would suggest is that when he does it next.. Put him on the naughty step as you already do but dont speak to him to tell him what he did wasnt nice. Instead i would just remove him from the situation, put him on the step and walk away. Then pick up your daughter and hug and kiss her, rub her hair and make much of her. (make sure he can see this going on)

It just lets him know that he isnt going to get attention for what he has done but quite the opposite. He wont like watching his sister get lots of attention and him not getting any.
    I know it seems cruel and ur very frustrated but he will grow out of it..

And just to let you know, its the toddlers i work with so they are the same age as your son.

Hope this helps but u'll need to persevere.. x

Advertisement