Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what to see in Japan?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Off to Japan to visit my brother. He has a few things planned for Marioka and Tokyo, but does anyone have anything weird or obscure that they'd recommend doing or seeing?

He's fluent Japanese so getting around shouldn't be an issue! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

If you're into cars there's a Toyota Test track in Tokyo,just produce a full licence and take out whatever car you like from Toyota.Be sure to have a european licence though,they didn't recognise my Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

staker wrote: »
    If you're into cars there's a Toyota Test track in Tokyo,just produce a full licence and take out whatever car you like from Toyota.Be sure to have a european licence though,they didn't recognise my Irish one.

That sounds awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Way too late now to tell you but for anyoen else heading make sure you go to the Pokemon Shop, make sure you go on a Sunday as its busier with school kids willling to trade/battle and will be lining up as your from far lands to trade the pocket things with you.

A must is to head for the Tsukiji Fish Market. Make sure you go early in the morning ie 6/7am and see the auctions of the Cod etc amazing experience.
    Also bring extra money as you will HAVE to get some fresh sushi, there is easily 20sushi shops, very small, very compact, you get t osee the chef making it right infron tof you, so grab a chair and enjoy. All well stocked and with the freshest fish, and made by some of the most experienced chefs. This will not be cheap though, but very very tasty and enjoyable.

For the tech heads; Akihabara is a haven!! From your big multi nationals Sony & Nintendo to the smaller independant shops its a whole day out itself!

Sports fans can head to a baseball game, I headed to one in Hiroshima even though not being a fan I had a great time! Great atmosphere, crowd was energetic, singing, shouting, and was great to take in the rhythmic clapping!

I would recommend renting bicycles for anybody visiting Kyoto. We found it was a great way to get outside the inner city area and to see more shires/gardens at our own leisure while being out on the streets soaking in the general vibe of the people. Plus cycling n paths while making people dodge out of your way was a frighteningly fun experience! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I think the Tsukiji market is now closed to the public, but it's still worth going for the sushi (and the Ginza shopping district is very close by).

I'd highly recommend a half-day trip to Yokohama. It's only about 30 mins by train from central Tokyo, and it's got a very different vibe from the huge metropolis. Visit late in the evening if you can, as the bay district is lit up at night and provides a great view.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    I think the Tsukiji market is now closed to the public, but it's still worth going for the sushi (and the Ginza shopping district is very close by).

Thats a pity why is that?

Pity looking at the Forum Request for the Japan forum yet still no activity here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Thats a pity why is that?

The fishermen were getting sick of all the drunken young people coming to the market after being out clubbing and getting in the way doing stupid crap (hugging the tuna, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Yeah Tsukuji is still open. To be honest unless you're really into tuna auctions think long and hard about how badly you want to be there so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What area would you recommend someone visits for something slightly more obscure? And by that, I mean an area not traditionally visited by tourists like Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka etc. Just something a little bit different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

山陰地方!Definitely the San-in region. Shimane, Tottori and Yamaguchi. You can visit Izumo Taisha, Iwami Ginzan, Matsue Castle, sand dunes, 三仏寺 hanging temple, Mt. Daisen, amazing onsen... list goes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Tristram wrote: »
    山陰地方!Definitely the San-in region. Shimane, Tottori and Yamaguchi. You can visit Izumo Taisha, Iwami Ginzan, Matsue Castle, sand dunes, 三仏寺 hanging temple, Mt. Daisen, amazing onsen... list goes on!

I was gonna recommend that area too. Seems like really countryside Japan if coming from Tokyo or Osaka, but the Tottori sand dunes are so worth the visit!

My recommendation would be the Izu islands.. especially kozushima, hachijojima, niijima or mikurajima (can swim with wild dolphins!). The scenery is incredible. Can only really go in the summer though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tristram wrote: »
    Yeah Tsukuji is still open. To be honest unless you're really into tuna auctions think long and hard about how badly you want to be there so early.

I went early first time I was there, and it was a mental, memorable experiences. However, with that possibility now restricted, you're going for the sushi. Probably the best culinary experience in all of Japan :P Second time I went, I got the same experience, but it was just a bit quieter. Honestly, the tuna auction is so packed it's hard to enjoy anyway.

Anyone over in Japan in a few weeks should head to the Sukagawa fire festival. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure what the story with it is this year since it's in Fukushima Prefecture. But if it's going ahead, I've rarely seen anything so spectacular. On in early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Go to Shikoku! Loads of awesome things to do.

You can see a whirlpool in Naruto, Tokushima.

Eat udon noodles.

Go to Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama, the oldest onsen in Japan.

Then, from Imabari in in Ehime Ken, you can cycle the Shimanami Kaido to Onomichi in Hiroshima. i.e. from Shikoku Island back to Honshu, there is a bike path the whole way and 7 bridges with slopes up and down. The islands are all super beautiful, very non-touristy and back-of-nowhere-ish, its an amazing place! You can also go to a shrine museum, and the Ikuo Hirayama (japanese artist who was bron on one of the islands in the inland sea) museum. So good! http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3478.html

Advertisement