Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade advice needed

• 08-06-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Which upgrade would make the most difference?

1 A HD amp
    2 a new bass
    3 a new rears

I currently have a Sony 6.1 amp that is three years old. It doesn't do HD audio. My centre is a Q Acoustics 2000C Centre Speaker. My front left and right speakers are Wharfdale Modus Cubes. My rear speakers and my sub are the Sony models that came with the Sony amp.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

silvine wrote: »
    Which upgrade would make the most difference?

1 A HD amp
    2 a new bass
    3 a new rears

I currently have a Sony 6.1 amp that is three years old. It doesn't do HD audio. My centre is a Q Acoustics 2000C Centre Speaker. My front left and right speakers are Wharfdale Modus Cubes. My rear speakers and my sub are the Sony models that came with the Sony amp.

hd audio isn't going to do a lot with your speakers, is the subwoofer powered from the amp or has it's own amp inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It's a self powered sub. So what'd be best to buy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is HD audio the only reason you'd upgrade avr? would network playback or other features be useful?

an upgraded amp might benefit , but just because it is a better amp than your current model, i think that would give a better effect than HD audio

I don't need 3d network. I am interested in hd for the sound quality an am trying
    To figure out if it's worth the outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

My centre is a Q Acoustics 2000C Centre Speaker. My front left and right speakers are Wharfdale Modus Cubes. My rear speakers and my sub are the Sony models that came with the Sony amp.

Your speakers cannot deliver HD or even good quality sound. Those Cubes were sold as budget rear speakers and the rest are not much better... I don't mean to diss your speakers but you asked. The amp is ok but it's choked by the speakers. What's your source? You never said.

• Advertisement

It's a HTPC using XBMC and an Xbox.

I was talking to Richersounds, they said something similar.

So basically I need to replace the fronts?

So basically I need to replace the fronts?

For a start, then the rears and sub. Work toward a new centre too. It can all be done in stages but don't scrimp and don't be afraid of second hand gear either. Personally I couldn't recommend speaker 'packages', they're a bit of a sonic cul-de-sac.

Your source is good so get the most out of it, and your amp.

Thanks for the advice, my original plan was to get a new amp!

I've pretty much settled on a set of Vector V10 speakers and a Vector VW8 Subwoofer. I can't justify changing the front, it's three months old.

Sounds good? (I'm on a tight budget).

Big improvement I'd expect. Try the cubes as rears too.

• Advertisement

Will do

Advertisement