Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford v Kilkenny Leinster hurling semi-final

• 08-06-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

2a9uuyg.png V 2nu0kkl.gif

Date: 11/6/11

Venue: Wexford Park

Betting: Wexford 11/2 Draw 14/1 Kilkenny 1/8

Wexford Have the advantage of playing on home soil and are riding on the crest of a wave at the moment after the defeat of cork and draw to Tipperary in the league and also there demolition of Antrim in the quarter final. Wexford will welcome the return of right full-back Paul Roche. Darren stamp also looks set to start after being introduced as a substitute in the antrim game.

Kilkenny will surely be fired up for this to try and lay to rest the ghosts of their league final defeat to Dublin. They look set to field their strongest team so far this year with the return of stars such as Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Richie power and P.j Ryan who all sat out the league final defeat, Although the cats will be without inspirational midfielder Michael Fennelly.

Prediction: My heart says Wexford but my head says Kilkenny, What ever the result it will be a lot closer than i feel many people think. I'll stick my neck out and go for Wexford by 2, Wexford 1-18 Kilkenny 2-13.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As a Wexford man myself I will be there and am really just hoping that we can keep it competitive and that it turns out to be a good game of hurling.

Can't see us beating them though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In fairness I think people are reading too much into Wexfords last 2 league results against teams with really nothing to play for.

I'd be amazed if Kilkenny could only manage 13 points,

The team named will tell a lot but I expect a much improved performance and a Kilkenny win by about 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

adrian522 wrote: »
    In fairness I think people are reading too much into Wexfords last 2 league results against teams with really nothing to play for.

I agree but it's the confidence side of things that will be our biggest help.

My score prediction is just a bit of fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

thanks baraca for creating the thread and writing a preview! :)

From a KK point of view:
    Despite KK reaching the league final, they played fairly awful for most of it. Jackie Tyrrell came out after the league final and said that standards have slipped in training. Well the lads have had over a month to have a good look in the mirror and hopefully change things around.

Henry is back, and alot of players need to put in a good performance, so I hope and expect KK to come out with all guns blazin'. Although I would probably settle for any victory as long as no one else gets injured!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

adrian522 wrote: »

I'd be amazed if Kilkenny could only manage 13 points,

The team named will tell a lot but I expect a much improved performance and a Kilkenny win by about 6 points.

I was at the Wexford v Cork league game and I have to say Wexford surprised me that day. Yes, Cork were poor but I thought Wexford played very well...they had a game plan and they played to it. They seemed, to me anyway, to be a bigger team physcially than some of the teams they put out in recent years. I think Bonnar's efforts are starting to bear fruition.

With home advantage, I wouldn't rule out a surprise on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Players that should have been playing the last two years that were on the panel are finally getting their chance, Take Jim berry for example has only got a regular spot this year and has been a revelation. Few young players coming through that have been great so far like Matthew o' hanlon.

Maybe saturday might come a bit early for us but were definitely on the right road and i think colm bonnar is doing a great job.

Who knows maybe we'll repeat 2004 and knock the cats out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Kilkenny weren't great in the league, especially in the final but I still think they'll win the All-Ireland.

People are now underestimating them, I think. I think they will win this with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

With Henry back I can see Kilkenny winning this by around 8 points if not more. Although they were bad in the league final I can't see them being that bad again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

KK will be chomping at the bit to get back to winning ways after the league final. Wexford should give them a good game but a KK victory by 7 or 8 I'd say with Henry producing a MOTM performance.

Covered stand and uncovered stand already sold out only the terraces left, I should have moved quicker. Stuck leaning against a bar for the two games now.

Still means there's close to 20,000 tickets sold already.

• Advertisement

From wexfordgaa.ie:
    The Wexford team to play Kilkenny on Saturday evening next sees Paul Roche return from injury to his corner back position and Ciarán Kenny moving to his more familiar wing-back spot. Michael Jacob, the Oulart-The Ballagh man drops to the bench. Up front his club mate Garrett Sinnott is preferred to Éanna Martin at full-forward this time out. Otherwise, the team has a settled look about it.
    Matthew O’Hanlon and Harry Kehoe will be hoping to do the double over Kilkenny following their exploits with the U21 hurling victory on Tuesday night last.

Wexford (SH v Kilkenny):
    1. Niall Breen
    2. Paul Roche
    3. Matthew O’Hanlon
    4. Keith Rossiter
    5. Lar Prendergast
    6. Darren Stamp (Capt.)
    7. Ciarán Kenny
    8. Willie Doran
    9. David Redmond
    10. PJ Nolan
    11. Harry Kehoe
    12. Stephen Banville
    13. Rory Jacob
    14. Garrett Sinnott
    15. Jim Berry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kilkenny (SH v Wexford): D Herity; P Murphy, N Hickey, J Tyrrell; P Hogan, B Hogan, JJ Delaney; M Fennelly, M Rice; TJ Reid, R Power, E Larkin; C Fennelly, H Shefflin, R Hogan.

Tommy walsh injured, eddie brennan apparently dropped.

Happy enough with the team, I think Power will do will at centre forward. The full back line looks suspect to my mind, though I'm happy to see Herity in goal.

Source:

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0906112116-shefflin-makes-competitive-return-for-kilkenny/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

baraca wrote: »
    Covered stand and uncovered stand already sold out only the terraces left, I should have moved quicker. Stuck leaning against a bar for the two games now.

Still means there's close to 20,000 tickets sold already.

Are you sure all the seats are sold out?

I don't fancy standing for a double header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd love to see a Wexford win. Here's hoping for a Rory Jacob hat-trick.

marathont wrote: »
    Are you sure all the seats are sold out?

I don't fancy standing for a double header.

Was up getting my tickets today in the park, All stands sold out and by the sounds of them up there their wasn't many tickets for the terraces left either.

Tommy walsh being injured (with all due respect) is very good news for wexford.

EDIT: I thought fennelly was out??

Overall I'm happy with the KK team.
    Good to see Jackie in his best position at corner back, Mick Fennelly and Rice in midfield, Power back after injury and of course the return of King Henry :)

It's a good Kilkenny team, they should win that. Tommy Walsh being out is a massive blow but the forward line looks very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

looking forward to this one, just to see the KK attitude since the league final. Can't wait to see how Sheff performs.
    Obviously a win would be great but I'd prefer to see a good display of quality hurling with discipline in place but still going in hard.

Good luck to Kilkenny, Westmeath and also Wexford today, Shaping up to be a great day Lovely weather down here and a bumper crowd. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think Kilkenny will win but I don't think it would be too surprising if Wexford won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cats by 5-7 points for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Wexford fan here too, but with King Shef back it's hard to see anything but a KK win. Wexford's results in the latter stage of the league were inspiring, and can only mean that they are improving, after all it's just a game of confidence ;) If Shef's knee doesn't last the vigours of a hectic opening, then Wex might have a chance, he seems to be the inspiration behind the KK steemroller.

I'm saying an 8-point or more win for Kilkenny.

It'd be nice if it was closer but I just have a sneaking suspicion that they'll be in unstoppable form by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

wexford to win both games by 7 point

btw im an eternal optomist:p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

Kilkenny for me, it will probably be close in the first half but they'll get it by 5 or more opints in the end.

I think after the league proformance they'll be fired up to prove that is was only temperary form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Wexford 6 points up at half time in the football, if they win the football should get the crowd up for the hurling even more. A double would be nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Really looking forward to a good,tough and close game,may the best team win!

wexford to win both games by 7 point
    So that's a 6pt win in the footie & a 1pt win in the stick-fightin, I'll settle for that :) Looks like it's goin to plan :cool:

Apparently Darren Stamp is out with either Mick Jacob or Shore in

Rumour is also that Delaney will go back to full back with the two Hogans and Murphy in the half back line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Emz..

Browney7 wrote: »
    With Henry back I can see Kilkenny winning this by around 8 points if not more. Although they were bad in the league final I can't see them being that bad again.

I agree.. Henry is the out & out leader of that team and when hes on the field it gives the team confidence, I think they'll win even if it is in wexford.
    This is the champ, league was a completely different ball game. Cody is going to be way more serious with this:) Cats all the way",) !!!!

Centre back (& capt aswell) out is a big blow for Wex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

don't put too much on Henry tonight, it's his first night back, lets give him some time.
    C'mon the Cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wexford will need a lead at HT anyway playing with the wind in the 1st half.

Great first point and cracking atmosphere down there.

FFS I tried to sign up to premier sports so that I could watch this game and it seems like they are having some problems with their payment system :mad:

Great first point and cracking atmosphere down there.

Blow it up now

• Advertisement

Can you not get it on rte.ie ? are you abroad ?

Cracking atmosphere. Wexford seem well up for it.

Can you not get it on rte.ie ? are you abroad ?

Yeah in Glasgow, listening to Spratt on South East Radio instead

Good score from Sinnott. Seems a good talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Just put €10 on Kilkenny to score the first goal

• Advertisement

listening to Spratt on South East Radio instead
    Oh no, not Liam pratt :p, can you get the radio options on rte.ie ?

Thanks Richie:D

great finish. took the shoulder very well

Well taken goal but a good reply by Sinnott

That was a massive shoulder on Hogan but he did really well to stay on his feet. Fantastic finish too.

Sinnott looks really good.

Crap, now another injury at the back, and with KK forwards looking good, it's all uphill from here !!

great flick away there. saved a certain goal.

Lovely flick by Rossiter...yellow card for dissent>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

odd decision with the yellow card. Looked like a fair challenge.

Hogan having a great game

• Advertisement
Advertisement