Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford v Kilkenny Leinster hurling semi-final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very disappointing by Wexford.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a well known tactic of kk's to drive the ball cross field and find a player - that's the second or third time they've done it tonight. Who is marking the free players? Defenders need to be more aware of where their men are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Very disappointing by Wexford.

Realistically, it's very hard to match Kilkenny. They're very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It's a well known tactic of kk's to drive the ball cross field and find a player - that's the second or third time they've done it tonight. Who is marking the free players? Defenders need to be more aware of where their men are.

easier said that done, tis hard when your team are losing and the result is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Tommy Walsh will struggle to get his place back :p

Disappointed in Wexford tonight. Thought they would put up a better showing than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

another decent save from the new KK keeper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

thought the ref has had a good game.

another decent save from the new KK keeper.

I thought it was straight at him...:o

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    thought the ref has had a good game.

Definitely. Very very impressive imo. Let the game flow extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The Wexford midfield and half-backs were absolutely pathetic in the second half - they caught nothing from the 45th minute onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

What was the final score? Never got to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1-26 to 1-15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What was the final score? Never got to see it.

1-26 to 1-15

Just back from the game. Atmosphere might have sounded good on the telly but it was absolutely pathetic for a full house you could here a pin drop during the football not much better during the hurling. Disappointed but the gap in the basic skills is huge between the two sides. Rory jacob and jim berry the only two wexford players i could take out of that, Paul roche had a shocker in the first half.

Much better team won on the day, Well done kilkenny. Onto the qualifiers for us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Good win for Kilkenny,good physical encounter,referee let the game flow as much as possible..great goal by richie hogan,shipped a heavy shoulder (fair) before scoring a cracker. Kilkenny were very focused on the job in hand and played very well in patches..have to be pleased with performance:D

baraca wrote: »
    1-26 to 1-15

Just back from the game. Atmosphere might have sounded good on the telly but it was absolutely pathetic for a full house you could here a pin drop during the football not much better during the hurling. Disappointed but the gap in the basic skills is huge between the two sides. Rory jacob and jim berry the only two wexford players i could take out of that, Paul roche had a shocker in the first half.

Much better team won on the day, Well done kilkenny. Onto the qualifiers for us now.

The atmosphere started well but it died down once Kilkenny took control (from a television viewpoint.)

I thought Sinnott was good enough for ye...he scored 4 points and didn't get the ball much. Okay, he was anonymous for long periods but I think that was due to lack of ball inside rather than any fault of his own.

And I was impressed with Lar Prendergast's work rate and tackling. He was your best defender...I know Kilkenny dominated the aerial battles but he seemed to be the only one that was winning any kind of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I had to stop watching shortly after the second half began because as a neutral I just couldn't be arsed watching it when I couldn't distinguish who was who when the ball was travelling. Some disaster to wear such similar jerseys especially when the sun was beaming as it was. Have money on Kilkenny for the All Ireland so it was nice to see them have a good game but against a classier team it could be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

jive wrote: »
    I had to stop watching shortly after the second half began because as a neutral I just couldn't be arsed watching it when I couldn't distinguish who was who when the ball was travelling. Some disaster to wear such similar jerseys especially when the sun was beaming as it was. Have money on Kilkenny for the All Ireland so it was nice to see them have a good game but against a classier team it could be a different story.

Have to agree with you there with regard to the jerseys. On a normal irish summer day (i.e. píssing out of the heavens) they would be no problem, but the low sun in the evening made it a bit confusing.

After watching the game tonight, I still feel that KK will have it all on to dislodge Tipp for the All-Ireland. KK looked good tonight, but Wexford handed them a lot of easy frees or easy scores in the first half which sort of set the tone for the rest of the match. I thought that Jackie Tyrell and JJ Delaney were in trouble with their markers. If Wexford could have fed them a bit more, then they could have been a lot closer. Sinnott was Wexfords best forward, especially in the first 20 minutes but the supply of ball into him dried up considerably in the second half.

Have KK developed a Tyrone type tactic of bringing back one of their wing forward into the half back line. TJ Reid played about 75% of the game as an auxillary wing back. Personally I think its a bit of a waste for such a talented hurler.

As for Wexford, I felt they tore into it for the forst 20 minutes, but then started to fall away. They were far less physical than KK when it really counted in the second half. I guess they have achieved their main aim for the year in retaining Division 1 status in the league. If they can stay there for a few years and bring through a few more U-21, they could have a very handy team in a couple of years.

KK will be favourites for the Leinster final (more based on this performance than anything else) but if they were to play Dublin, I wouldn't be surprised if they had it all on to win it. They'd beat Galway at their ease - Galway would just stand back and let them hurl.

From an excitement point of view for the championship, it would be great to see KK loose the final as it would, imo, ste up an All-Ireland semi-final between KK and Tipp. I've nothing against KK - great team - but it would be interesting to see a new team take leinster (especially Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Overall I thought KK were impressive (alot more than they were throughout the entire league campaign!) and they showed that they are getting back into form.

I thought Herity had a good game in goal, he made 2 great saves but probably should have done better with the Wexford goal.
    KK's full-back line were very poor imo. Tyrrell had the worst game I have ever seen him play in a KK jersey :(. JJ Delaney didn't seem to ever settle at full-back, and I don't see the point whatsoever of playing Noel Hickey at corner-back :confused:. Sinnott, Jacob and Berry all put in a very good performance in the full-forward line for Wexford.
    Delighted with the performance of the 2 wing-backs, both played very well, especially Paul Murphy :D Brian Hogan was decent enough at centre-back.

Fennelly, Rice, TJ Reid, and Richie Power all played very well. Great work ethic, passing and shooting. They completely dominated the midfield & half-forward areas of the pitch and were crucial to KK winning the match.
    Richie Hogan took his goal brilliantly and was very unlucky not to get a 2nd goal (hit the post). However he was too greedy at times (when he was further out the field) and should of passed the ball rather than taking a difficult shot :mad:

Finally, it was fantastic to see Henry back hurling in the championship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

It's only the first game back lads, they were expected to beat wexford, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

jive wrote: »

Had this problem also.

Was easy to distinguish the players after a while.

KK players were the ones who were nearly always 1st to the ball, the lads who didn't make silly mistakes in possesion and never looked under any real pressure when on the ball.

They really were light years ahead of Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

He was obvioulsly mouthing at the ref

the yellow card was for hitting Fennelly on the hand as he started his run in on goal. he tried flick the ball away, and connected with Fennellys hand, and at the end of the run, did the same thing, but got the ball cleanly. fine line between a great tackle, and a yellow card.

On that showing Kilkenny will be extremely tough to beat this campaign for any team. 4th best team in the country my b*llocks Cyril. Amazing the insanity a league campaign generates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Any idea of the attendance yesterday?

penexpers wrote: »
    Any idea of the attendance yesterday?

Around 16000 i think

On that showing Kilkenny will be extremely tough to beat this campaign for any team. 4th best team in the country my b*llocks Cyril.

4th?? Would he able to name the 3 teams that are better than them?? Tipp is one, but after that none of the rest are as good as KK, nevermind being better than them.

Edit: Did he mean that Wexford were the 4th best in the country? That would also be stretching the truth for cyril. With him, you never know what he is on about. Wexford are about 6th behind KK, Tipp, Waterford, Dublin, Cork and are on a par with the likes of Galway, Limerick and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The result of this game was painfully obvious from an early stage. Kilkenny are defintely not gone away yet, they won this game without even breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

For me skill levels were probably the biggest difference between the two teams. Wexford struggled with a few simple skills such as -

Catching Balls - I think at least 3 puck-outs were hit to Banville, he dropped two and KK players latched onto them. He scored a point from the one he did manage to catch. The amount of high balls that Wexford failed to catch cost them. KK must have won at least 75% of the breaking ball on Saturday.

Pick Ups - How many times did a Wexford player struggle to make a basic pick-up? This cost us dearly, especially in the back lines where basic pick-ups were fluffed giving KK time to pressure the defender and ultimately win possession and hit a score.

Short Passing - Wexford managed to fluff quite a few of these, some in and around the half back line which resulted in KK scores. In the meantime KK played some beautiful short passes and crossfield balls, most of which went directly to hand or hurl.

Then you had issues in defence where instead of moving the ball out of danger asap there was an amount of arsing around which gave KK all the time to heap on the pressure, win possession and... you know the rest.

KK's full back line looked like their weakspot but Wexford really failed to exploit it. A fair few balls were played into Rory Jacob but I found him too greedy with the ball at times. For a fella that was playing well Sinnott didn't see enough of the ball. Look at how Limerick got on yesterday when # 14, who was also playing well, was fed the ball.

KK forwards were far cuter, distancing themselves from their markers and were wide open for a number of short passes which resulted in scores.

KK had it all... and at times Wexford's lack of skill made KK's strength and determination shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Kojak wrote: »
    4th?? Would he able to name the 3 teams that are better than them?? Tipp is one, but after that none of the rest are as good as KK, nevermind being better than them.

Edit: Did he mean that Wexford were the 4th best in the country? That would also be stretching the truth for cyril. With him, you never know what he is on about. Wexford are about 6th behind KK, Tipp, Waterford, Dublin, Cork and are on a par with the likes of Galway, Limerick and Clare.

Galway are ahead of both Dublin and Cork and at least on a par with Waterford imo.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Galway are ahead of both Dublin and Cork and at least on a par with Waterford imo.

I still wouldn't trust Galway to beat any of them in a "do or die" situation tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Kojak wrote: »
    I still wouldn't trust Galway to beat any of them in a "do or die" situation tbh.

You could easily say the same for Dublin who weren't able to get over the line against Antrim last year and Limerick the year before. They're favourites to beat Dublin next weekend and rightly so imo.

Advertisement