Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Discussion/Chit Chat

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

The forum has been tidied up a little bit to make it easier to find information. We decided to create this 'General Discussion and Chit Chat' thread to perhaps get some community spirit going and you never know make friends :D

You can use this thread for off-topic discussions or talk about your stammer/speech disorder if it doesn't fit into any of the other threads. While it's an general discussion thread the same rules apply; please see the stickied charter for more info.

We value all contributions and look forward to hearing from you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I would really like some advice on the best way for me to work with people with severe stammers. For example, Is it helpful or viewed as insulting if I finish a word for them? Other than saying things like "it's ok, take your time..." or pretending that I haven't noticed, I'm not sure what to do.

I have two new clients, both who have severe stammers. The last thing in the world I would want to do would be make them feel uncomfortable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

annascott wrote: »
    I would really like some advice on the best way for me to work with people with severe stammers. For example, Is it helpful or viewed as insulting if I finish a word for them? Other than saying things like "it's ok, take your time..." or pretending that I haven't noticed, I'm not sure what to do.

I have two new clients, both who have severe stammers. The last thing in the world I would want to do would be make them feel uncomfortable...

Most people who stammer don't like people finishing their sentences even if you see them struggling. The best thing to do is to remain eye contact with them and give them time. I wouldn't advise saying "It's ok, take your time".

The important thing is to have patience and be a good listener. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Personally I don't mind people finishing my words for me. I used to get really annoyed when I was younger, but it doesn't bother me now. Mellowed with age I guess.

I remember when I was working placement in college (my first "real" job). My immediate boss asked me on the first day if I minded people finishing my sentences/words. I was a bit taken aback. It was the first time anybody had asked me. I don't think he was going to actively start finishing all my sentences. He just wanted to know if he had to watch himself around me. It's a natural human reaction to try and help us along when we're stuck.

As Stephen said, keeping eye contact is key. I don't like it when people get embarrassed at me being stuck and start looking at the floor or the ceiling or the window behind me. I feel bad about making them embarrassed.

Advertisement