Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

• 08-06-2011 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

What'd ye all think of it? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Section a and b were grand...essays wernt the best but i coped through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Theme was very odd. Was expecting something along the lines of motivation/hope...The comprehension on cats, I did with a struggle, but overall was happy with my diary entry and essay.

Honestly it could go anyway marking wise for me...

What did everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The pass was pretty easy. I did B on text 1, A on text 2 and number 6 for the essay.

I was surprised no visual came up for text 3 though. I wouldn't of done it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

I thought it was a very good paper to be honest! Done Part A of the first comprehension about the crazy cat lady and Part B on the enduring appeal of mysterious in books and films. Tough choices for the composing section but luckily i could work in my learned off short story :) Overall very pleased for my first exam. Bring on dickinson!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Comp on tight-rope was ok, got a bit bogged down though,
    Sec B diary entry was grand.
    Did the technology essay, I think nearly everyone did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Text 2 - A - Tight Rope. Very nice questions.

Text 1 - B - a bit difficult. I've never written anything similar before but I managed it. I talked about America (I've actually never been :).)

ESSAY - 2 - Discrimination and Tolerance. I talked about travellers, women, the poor, immigrants and most importantly PUBLIC SERVANTS. It was a lick ass ending but if a trade unionist corrects my exam, I'll get great marks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Really? Nearly everyone I spoke to did the talk on something indispensable - we'd all prepared essays on hope etc.. so managed to work that in!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

It was beautiful.
    The part b on text one was perfect as I'm off to Japan soon and know loads about it
    The text part a Was brilliant as I'm good with pictures and text combo
    and the personal essay was amazing cause well, it was clothes :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Not brilliant, but quite manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Did text 2 questions and they were great... Text 1 question B was kind of hard, I wrote about Malta which I know next to nothing about so hopefully the corrector won't either cause I made it all up. I did the mystery short story which pretty much fit into a story I prepared yesterday. So if the corrector likes my style I'm pretty sure it will get a good grade :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

It was way easier than I expected! I was delighted that the diary entries were on it! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Theme put me off! Question As were a bit iffy! Text 3, question b was absolutely lovely!

Essay #1 was brilliant as well..! I'm thrilled at how it went! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

It was a nice paper :) the essay titles were abit meh but I got out alive on the back of a decent technology essay so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Was grand ! i have the paper scanned in, would i be allowed to post it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I did part A on the tight rope extract and part B I did the diary entries :)
    Comprehension- Descriptive writing on the city

All in all, I'm not sure if I did great or not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

It was grand dissapointed with my question 2 on the images of the tight rope got bogged down on it. Did the essay on clothes diary entry was grand did a page and a half , is that enough??:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

so dissapointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

It wasn't the best. I was surprised by the Comprehensions, there was none that let you use the images. I done question 7. I had a load of short storys prepared and strangely a mystery was not one that I had prepared.

I managed through it though.

I done Question A on the tight ropes and Question B on the Diary entry. Both of which were okay.

I wrote a total of 15 pages. My hand is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Daire92

C__MC wrote: »
    It was grand dissapointed with my question 2 on the images of the tight rope got bogged down on it. Did the essay on clothes diary entry was grand did a page and a half , is that enough??:pac:
    Page and a half? i got 6 and half done on the Mystery essay, worked in my learnt off war story, was delighted. Comprehensions were ****e though, got through em easily but they were stupid all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Theme really threw me off. Rank.

Did Question A on that old woman creeping on Sarah.
    Question B was the talk to the school book club. I either look like the biggest wannabe-nerd ever or just a movie hater. Really hard to write. Had no idea WHAT to write.

Section 2 was the best bit. Wrote about discrimination and tolerance. Had all my figures prepared last night on homosexuality so eh... whole essay is about that now! :P Threw in Glee at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Theme was a bit too general. The questions on the comps were not the best and engaging. The essay titles were okay. Suppose im still on for a B hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

i did question A on text 2 about the tight-rope
    question B on text 1 about where id like to go, i said china :) been there before and studied it so i had alot of information on it but didnt put down too much info other wise itd seem like i went their :L haha

for Composing i did the technology impact on young people

overall it wasnt a bad test , the theme quite took me by surprise but i got through it easy enough
    got bogged down on the tight-rope questions though lucky i knew alot about china without having to think other wise i wouldnt of finished the paper

good luck everyone for tomorrows test :D going to kill me it is ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Comp on tight-rope was ok, got a bit bogged down though,
    Sec B diary entry was grand.
    Did the technology essay, I think nearly everyone did!

Did the exact same question as you!!!
    but how was the OP finished and had this up at 11:40am?????

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Did the exact same question as you!!!
    but how was the OP finished and had this up at 11:40am?????

I was thinking this too lol! Out and posted up on boards 40 minutes early :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That was handy out.

Section A on weird woman on the train, perhaps not perfectly answered but I felt I dealt with it fairly well.

Section B was the Book Club speech...I wrote 3 pages, thought it was really easy. Might have overdone it though.

Did the short story where a mystery was solved. It was good but maybe a bit predictable because I slightly forgot I was writing a mystery and was left with only one credible option. But the writing itself was good.....sometimes I get bogged down and know I'm writing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Never want to read about cats again... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    It wasn't the best. I was surprised by the Comprehensions, there was none that let you use the images. I done question 7. I had a load of short storys prepared and strangely a mystery was not one that I had prepared.

I managed through it though.

I done Question A on the tight ropes and Question B on the Diary entry. Both of which were okay.

I wrote a total of 15 pages. My hand is killing me.

chose the exact same questions as you. i wrote about 8 pages in total though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I didn't get enough time to finish :(
    got everything done besides comprehending (c) part on text 1, only wrote about 5 lines. I must be a really slow writer or something. I wrote non stop for the whole thing i didn't feel like i was goin slow for time was getting at me. I wrotes like 4 1/2 pages for essay 7, 1 1 n a 1/2 for question b and 2 for comprehending

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Text 1, Question B - Did it on Egypt. Realised in my second last paragraph that there were riots/stuff there :rolleyes: Fudged my last little bit to include that. I felt like such a tool for forgetting about it.

Text 3, Question A - Nicest comprehension ever!!! I'm usually **** at them, it takes about an hour to do. Got it finished in 45 minutes.

Personal essay on clothes. Couple of paragraphs were a bit dodgy. Not sure how it came across overall.

I don't think I did too badly overall. Home Ec and Paper 2 will be the death of me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I was super happy with it. :D

Did the question A about the woman on the train and I think I answered it really well.
    Did the question B about a place you'd like to go to and was very happy with my answer
    Did the modern fairytale story and got 7 good pages done, very pleased with it.

Had plenty of time to look over everything and check my spellings which was a bonus.

Quite a few of my friends didn't finish their essays though.

Advertisement