Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Did the descriptive essay on the city.

Did the comprehension on Philipe Petit the tight-rope walker, I had watched the documentary on him for the 2nd time last week. I was delllligggghted :D:D:D

Did the two diary entries as my part b. the text was so strange though, a mystery is right!

Overall I'm quite pleased and cannot complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Pleasing paper, Did the comprehension on cats, quite pleased a question came up asking to describe the writers style as i revised those last night. Mistook the quote of :"The only mouse in our house was part of the computer " for a metaphor. Told after it was anti-personification. Oh well.

Essay i prepared came up, well i did My take on recent history. Talked about 6th year, debs, stress, music, death which happened to a close friend. The essay i did was 3 a modern fairytale. I tweaked it however so it had a happy ending as such. Did the same lay out from september right up till the exam. Only changed all my i's to He's. Probably missed a couple of you / i's toward the end as i slacked on my time for essay. Thought the exam ended at half 12. Lucky enough i was close to finishing the essay when he said 5 minutes left. Didn't get to articulate my closing paragraph as well as i would have liked too.

Saying that, English Paper 1 you always come out of feeling you did fine. Time will tell, time for 24+ hours of Poetry ,Hamlet and Comparative. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Did Text A on the train
    Did Text B on the talk about school book club mystery stuff
    Did the essay on the article about technology

Very happy about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The paper wasn't too bad. The theme was unexpected (This doesn't bode well for Paper II predictions). I did the comprehension from Text 3 and the question B about the talk of the endearing appeal of the mysterious in books and films. As for the composition, I chose the descriptive essay about a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

flyaway. wrote: »
    I was super happy with it. :D

Did the question A about the woman on the train and I think I answered it really well.
    Did the question B about a place you'd like to go to and was very happy with my answer
    Did the modern fairytale story and got 7 good pages done, very pleased with it.

Had plenty of time to look over everything and check my spellings which was a bonus.

Quite a few of my friends didn't finish their essays though.

Jesus how fast must some people write! I wrote non stop for the whole exam basically and got 8 pages done and now i hear of people doin 15! hooooW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

The paper wasn't too bad. The theme was unexpected (This doesn't bode well for Paper II predictions). I did the comprehension from Text 3 and the question B about the talk of the endearing appeal of the mysterious in books and films. As for the composition, I chose the descriptive essay about a city.

They're going to be mysterious :P

You know this newspaper article? Is there a specific way to write the intro? I also only got 5 paragraphs done (wanted to do 6) because my watch was an hour slower and I'd never noticed :mad: That could have gone AWFULLY...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i did the reading comp on the tight rope walker - brilliant altogether easiest one ever haha

i did the question b on travelling somewhere - easy out as im dying to go to australia so that was easy for me!

i did the clothes essay - i no im a dude like but i was using it to my advantage not many fellas are gonna be doing that essay so that means the standard wont be very high!!! :P haha

all in all a very good paper im hoping ill get a b1 out of it! :) best of luck to every one tomorow by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ApeLove

I was pretty happy with the theme. As someone said to me after, "You love all that mystery ****e, don't you?".
    3 A: the old lady stalking Sarah. Nice questions, I thought.
    1 B: the travel article; wrote about Paris. Think it was a bit short (a little over a page, heavily paragraphed?) but alright.

Composing, I did the modern fairytale. Could work in an old short story to some extent, if the corrector likes my style then I think I did quite well, although references to alcohol and homosexuality could throw off some...I feel good about it all in all!
    Onwards and upwards, please god let Boland put in an appearance tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

I thought it was great!

I did the comprehension on text 2. The one about the tight-rope walker. I loved the picture question. But the last part was hard, wasn't it?

Question B was a gift - the diary entries.

Then I chose question 7. I had learnt a short story about 2 little boys who become suicide bombers :D I found it hard to fit the mystery part into the story, but I think I pulled it off :P Anyone else have trouble with that!?

But, right now my hand is killing me. can't wait to get everything finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

C__ wrote: »
    Did Text A on the train
    Did Text B on the talk about school book club mystery stuff
    Did the essay on the article about technology

Very happy about it :)

Exact same :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I'll never be able to sit on a train in the same way again!

Comprehensions were p!ss easy.Giving a talk on books was a nice part (B)aswell!
    Essay's were good, picked war 6 pages , fitted in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

made a mess of the essay!

ApeLove wrote: »
    I was pretty happy with the theme. As someone said to me after, "You love all that mystery ****e, don't you?".
    3 A: the old lady stalking Sarah. Nice questions, I thought.
    1 B: the travel article; wrote about Paris. Think it was a bit short (a little over a page, heavily paragraphed?) but alright.

Composing, I did the modern fairytale. Could work in an old short story to some extent, if the corrector likes my style then I think I did quite well, although references to alcohol and homosexuality could throw off some...I feel good about it all in all!
    Onwards and upwards, please god let Boland put in an appearance tomorrow!

I sure hope not!

UL wrote: »
    so dissapointed :(

what went wrong for you? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Comprehension on crazy cat lady was brilliant! I even managed to get the most ridiculous crap about the images out. "A tiger in microcosm" :p
    Text B about the Mysterious in Books, I may have screwed up on. I wrote about how the Mystery Genre is amazing and one of the most under appreciated genres of its time. But then I realised that I was to write about the "MYSTERIOUS in books" not "The Mystery GENRE" . D'you think its a major mess up? :(

Essay, was a bit gutted that I couldn't fit any short stories to the given titles. They were a bit unexpected. But I did the Indispensable essay, and it was alright. but not amazing. I can never jazz up a speech/talk to A standard :(

I was surprised about the lack of a picture compilation. Maybe its to stop people coming in with learned off short stories and loosely basing it on a picture? (As I planned to do :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

My hand doesn't feel the slighest bit sore. Probably because I didn't write half as fast as I normally can, I seemed to be pretty leisurely.

I still got about 12 pages done though...but I'd say I did enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

PJelly wrote: »
    Comprehension on crazy cat lady was brilliant! I even managed to get the most ridiculous crap about the images out. "A tiger in microcosm" :p

To my own admittance, i did something i shouldn't have and would have went down well with my teacher in a class test i said something.

:" Of course the cat is happy with his owner, you can tell by the look of pure delighted on his face ". Embedded amongst a perfectly fine answer of course :D

Text B about the Mysterious in Books, I may have screwed up on. I wrote about how the Mystery Genre is amazing and one of the most under appreciated genres of its time. But then I realised that I was to write about the "MYSTERIOUS in books" not "The Mystery GENRE" . D'you think its a major mess up? :(

Essay, was a bit gutted that I couldn't fit any short stories to the given titles. They were a bit unexpected. But I did the Indispensable essay, and it was alright. but not amazing. I can never jazz up a speech/talk to A standard :(

I was surprised about the lack of a picture compilation. Maybe its to stop people coming in with learned off short stories and loosely basing it on a picture? (As I planned to do :D)

dont worry about it now. its done you cant do anymore just concentrate on paper 2 now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

Question A on text 3 went well, Question B on text 2 was a screw up, I wrote about books & films in general for 1 page before I noticed the mystery genre and then I squished a page in after the end.

And my mechanics/spelling were terrible so there goes a bit as well :'(

Did a 8 page modern fairy tale about a sylvan mouse and an evil squirrel, used allusions to jack & the beanstalk, don Quixote and something else that I can't remember.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    My hand doesn't feel the slighest bit sore. Probably because I didn't write half as fast as I normally can, I seemed to be pretty leisurely.

I still got about 12 pages done though...but I'd say I did enough.

im the same... should we have wrote more? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Any particular reason why people wrote 7/8 page essays? We were told 4-6 was the guideline.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    To my own admittance, i did something i shouldn't have and would have went down well with my teacher in a class test i said something.

:" Of course the cat is happy with his owner, you can tell by the look of pure delighted on his face ". Embedded amongst a perfectly fine answer of course :D
    I might have went a bit overboard there. I also mentioned how "The subdued hues of brown and green are reminiscent of the African Savannah", for the tiger bit. I can imagine the corrector laughing :p
    GV_NRG wrote: »
    dont worry about it now. its done you cant do anymore just concentrate on paper 2 now! :D
    Yeah I know, it would just be reassuring to know whether or not I answered it right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't worry about how much you wrote. Worry about Paper II.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Catacomb wrote: »
    Question A on text 3 went well, Question B on text 2 was a screw up, I wrote about books & films in general for 1 page before I noticed the mystery genre and then I squished a page in after the end.

And my mechanics/spelling were terrible so there goes a bit as well :'(

Did a 8 page modern fairy tale about a sylvan mouse and an evil squirrel, used allusions to jack & the beanstalk, don Quixote and something else that I can't remember.

f**k ! I wrote about the mystery of just books and films

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Did the comprehension about the train. Did anyone else get the impression that the old women was lonely and full of regret? Or did I just write a page of complete bollocks there? :p

Part B was alright seeing as it was the only part of English that I had never really given much attention. I wrote about how fascinating Iceland. I never thought I'd be able to mention a man who makes drums out of rhubarb in an exam but there you go :pac:

Was a bit dissapointed that I wasn't able to use one of my old short stories for the essay but I managed to write close to 5 pages about how important music was to me so I'm hoping it didn't seem too lame :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

Text 2 QA - 1 page per question
    Text 3 QB - 2 pages, 1 for each entry
    7 - 3 pages

Looked at each B, found the diary entry and then just picked a A from other 2, text 1 had too much of thoe personal opinion kinda questions so went with text 2. Lucky for me the short story I prepared was a medevil style setting about a guy who lost is memory so him and somone else go out to find out who he is and whats going on, started smiling as soon as I saw 7 on the paper! Just had to rush the ending into last paragraph, would of liked to have more in it but ran out of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Was grand ! i have the paper scanned in, would i be allowed to post it ?

Yeah sure the exam is over, upload it.

AdamD wrote: »
    Any particular reason why people wrote 7/8 page essays? We were told 4-6 was the guideline.
    I tend to write too much and go to 8/9. So I had to restrict myself to 6, that way I knew I minimised waffle.

I doubt you can go to 7/8 pages and be perfectly on topic the whole time.

I did not understand this question at all and just wrote how there are mysteries in every book... which is mysterious... because they are mysteries. :P

I don't think it's a major mess-up. The mystery in the mystery genre is mysterious. As long as you linked it back up to the mystery bit you should be fine.

Don't worry about it now! Best to leave it in the past :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

God i only wrote 9pages in total! how much did people write for the diary entry?? My hand writing is small though:pac:

Advertisement