Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

I couldn't remember all the styles of writing for the comprehension.. and when i was walking home i noticed that all the styles were on the page of the composition.. :( So p'd off right now..!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

It's amazing to see how people wrote 6-8 pages on an essay and think they did brilliant because for it to be good every single paragraph has to relate to the question and must be solid :)

I did 3 1/2 pages for the talk on what you couldn't live without and 3 pages on the books. I like talks because if you are farmiliar with the style and structure you are already on your way.

The cat Question was arkward to be honest. Hopefully I got a High C and paper 2 won't put the 3 poets from last year on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Went grand, but it's over now. . .post-mortems are useless, especially with such a subjective paper. . .Roll on Paper 2!. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

GV_NRG wrote: »
    im the same... should we have wrote more? :/

I don't think so. I could have written a longer essay for sure, but my story was structured such that I really couldn't drag it out any longer. Not that I did drag it out, I was fairly caught for time at the end. Only barely got in my big dramatic ending (which was possibly the most predictable thing I've ever written).

But I did write 3 pages for Question B, which is more than I usually would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

AdamD wrote: »
    Any particular reason why people wrote 7/8 page essays? We were told 4-6 was the guideline.

Guess it depends on the person. I wrote 7 pages for my story and none of it was unnecessary. I didn't aim for 7, my story just ended up there. :)

After that, I suppose everyone has different sized writing and some people space it out more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Q A: text 1
    Q B: text 3

for composing i did the talk :)
    overall 6 and 1/3 pages ,my teacher said I have small writing so 3 pages for the essay would be enough :)
    If each exam would go as paper 1 i'll be very happy!:D
    Dickinson ,you'll better make an appearance tomorrow or you'll feel funeral in every f***** part of your body!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Iceboy wrote: »
    f**k ! I wrote about the mystery of just books and films
    That's what you were supposed to do. The talk wasn't about books or films at all. The talk is about the "mysterious in books, films e.t.c."

So basically "What makes mystery so appealing in literature?" was the question being asked. Nothing specific about books or films.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

I didn't think that paper was anythign spacial but I got through it ! :)

Got 4.5 pages done on the Fairytale essay :)
    Done Question A on the Tight-rope, Went well :)
    Done Question B on the Train ! I had to rush the Diary entry! :( What did most people write in their two Diaries ? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That was handy out.

Section A on weird woman on the train, perhaps not perfectly answered but I felt I dealt with it fairly well.

Section B was the Book Club speech...I wrote 3 pages, thought it was really easy. Might have overdone it though.

Did the short story where a mystery was solved. It was good but maybe a bit predictable because I slightly forgot I was writing a mystery and was left with only one credible option. But the writing itself was good.....sometimes I get bogged down and know I'm writing ****.

Good call, I did the same. ;)
    It wasn't too bad a paper..could of been worse. I thought the theme was very adventurous for the department of education. :P
    Didn't finish my story as well as I had hoped cause I ran out of time, but I did finish it at 4 pages. Just glad I got an ending in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Did anyone else have trouble filling in factual information to back up some of their points?

I did really well in the text about the girl and the old woman on a Train. I talked about how she was rude to the woman and thought lightly of her being old.

But I waffled a bit in "I don't discriminate" about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and events that affected blacks and other communities.

I also did a Question B about wanting to go to Australia. I should've looked up Australia beforehand because I just talked about Sydney Opera House being more unique and intimate than Irish venues and I talked about its contrast between jungles and urban lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I came out of that exam grinning. :D
    Question A - Text 1
    Question B - Text 3 (diary entries)
    Personal essay (5th one, the clothes one)

I'm pretty pleased :) I could have answered the Question A (iii) a bit better, it was on the two pictures. I think my essay is the best thing I've ever written. I'd say a lot of people will have really waffe-based clothes essays, I was so pleased with mine. BOOM!
    Fairly nervous for Paper 2. Cultural context, Frost/Dickinson and a fairly handy Hamlet question would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

karaokeman wrote: »
    But I waffled a bit in "I don't discriminate" about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and events that affected blacks and other communities.

I talked about public servants and how they've gotten a bad name over the past few years. I sung the praises of teachers. Exactly what someone who is spending their summer correcting wants to hear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Loved the paper.

Did Question A on the tightrope walker, had no difficulties with it, enjoyable story.
    Did Question B on where I'd like to visit, I said Iceland and I was quite happy with the article, it read back pretty well.

Did the comprehension on things that were indispensable to me. I was DELIGHTED with the title because I had been practicing that kind of essay for at least a year, got a solid 4 pages of quality writing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

karaokeman wrote: »
    Did anyone else have trouble filling in factual information to back up some of their points?

I did really well in the text about the girl and the old woman on a Train. I talked about how she was rude to the woman and thought lightly of her being old.

I also did a Question B about wanting to go to Australia. I should've looked up Australia beforehand because I just talked about Sydney Opera House being more unique and intimate than Irish venues and I talked about its contrast between jungles and urban lifestyle.

History yeah? :P I did my special topic on the gay liberation movement. You can tell. There were a few ranty sentences about it being 42 years after the civil rights movement had started and there was still discrimination.

Also in my idea-bubble I had Martin Luther King and Betty Friedan. I'm starting to think the history students got a pretty good deal with that essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Was grand ! i have the paper scanned in, would i be allowed to post it ?

Please do. I'd love to see it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

I liked it a lot. :)

PartA about the tightrope was v/straightforward.
    PartB the feature article for travel magazine turned out lovely, even if the q was unusual.

Essay wasn't all that spectacular. Then again how spectacular can a magazine article on technology and youth be?

I liked it though. :)

Pleasently surprised, everything finished = all good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Oh god... :(

Comprehension
    A - Tight Rope
    i Good (1.5pg)
    ii Fine (1.5pg)
    iii Alright :/ (1.2pg)

B - Place I wanted to go article
    Poor (2pg)

Composing
    Cr*p about clothes (2pg)

>What do we think? I'd be happy with a C tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Question A - not good i did the one on the cats. But comprehensions never go well with me so i was expecting it.
    Question b - diary entries ..... were grand.... it think lol.
    Composition - did the one on technology which was grand like, had a bit prepared for it.

Overall Happy :D

tomorrow will be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

flyaway. wrote: »
    Guess it depends on the person. I wrote 7 pages for my story and none of it was unnecessary. I didn't aim for 7, my story just ended up there. :)

After that, I suppose everyone has different sized writing and some people space it out more than others.

Same, I was only aiming for 4 but i just couldn't stop, if it's seven it's seven, nobody will kill you for going over the top tbh. It just looks like you had more to say than others which can be good.

Overall I had 17 pages. 7 on the essay, 7 on the comprehension and 3 on the diary entries.

The lines were quite big, a lot bigger than a normal a4 copy or so it seemed, thats what I'm blaming my 7 page essay on anyway :P
    C__MC wrote: »
    God i only wrote 9pages in total! how much did people write for the diary entry?? My hand writing is small though:pac:

I wrote three pages for the diary entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

RHunce wrote: »
    Overall I had 17 pages. 7 on the essay, 7 on the comprehension and 3 on the diary entries.
    How the hell did you manage seven pages on a comprehension? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

RHunce wrote: »
    Same, I was only aiming for 4 but i just couldn't stop, if it's seven it's seven, nobody will kill you for going over the top tbh. It just looks like you had more to say than others which can be good.

The lines were quite big, a lot bigger than a normal a4 copy or so it seemed, thats what I'm blaming my 7 page essay on anyway :P

I wrote three pages for the diary entry.

17 pages?! you must have giant writing

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Here's the ord paper, i'll update the post as i scan

Page 1
    page%201.jpeg

Page 2
    page%202%20.jpeg

Page 3
    page%203%20.jpeg

Page 4
    page%204.jpeg

Page 5
    Page%205.jpeg

Page 6
    page%206.jpeg

HxGH wrote: »
    Oh god... :(

Comprehension
    A - Tight Rope
    i Good (1.5pg)
    ii Fine (1.5pg)
    iii Alright :/ (1.2pg)

B - Place I wanted to go article
    Poor (2pg)

Composing
    Cr*p about clothes (2pg)

>What do we think? I'd be happy with a C tbh.

2 pages is frighteningly short for an essay :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

I loved it! Cats and mystery stories are like my two passions =P I went total film nerd on the question B tallking about Hitchcock being the master of suspense. Got loads in about Dexter & Midsomer Murders too. Story could have been better, I went for the modern fairytale. Only realised afterwards I'd pretty much ripped off the plot of Enchanted... Wrote 14 pages total, 7 for the story.

Btw is it stretching it a bit to say Macbeth has elements of a mystery story? Didn't really think that one through =/

edit;; so jealous of ordinary level! Was the theme space? Heard Star Trek was mentioned in it.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    17 pages?! you must have giant writing

I would have thought my writing was fairly normal sized, 6/7 words on every line?
    How the hell did you manage seven pages on a comprehension? :confused:

I had actually watched the documentary on Philipe Petit the tight-rope walker so I was full of ideas for what I had to say, 2pages on part i, 2pages on part ii and 2 and 3/4 on part iii

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

snicket wrote: »
    I loved it! Cats and mystery stories are like my two passions =P I went total film nerd on the question B tallking about Hitchcock being the master of suspense. Got loads in about Dexter & Midsomer Murders too. Story could have been better, I went for the modern fairytale. Only realised afterwards I'd pretty much ripped off the plot of Enchanted... Wrote 14 pages total, 7 for the story.

Btw is it stretching it a bit to say Macbeth has elements of a mystery story? Didn't really think that one through.

I said Twilight had elements of mystery in it :rolleyes: I don't think it's stretching it as long as you backed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Standard writing is like 10-12 words per line

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Did the diary entry and the comprehension about cats. I think my diary was good, comp probably could have been better. I did an essay on technology last week so I was delighted when I saw that on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

I do WAY more than 6/7 words on a line your writing must be huge :P

I done A from text 3 about the train not sure how it went hopefully okay like! Wasnt too bad
    I done B from text 1 and was reallly happy with it
    And then I done the technology article

A : 3 pages
    B : 3 pages
    Essay : 4 pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

I went for question 6 , the descriptive piece, i wrote 5 and a half pages and it was fairly descriptive, i didn't include the heading in my piece, does this make a difference?

Advertisement