Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 easkey92

i never knew the english paper had a theme until today :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

flyaway. wrote: »
    Guess it depends on the person. I wrote 7 pages for my story and none of it was unnecessary. I didn't aim for 7, my story just ended up there. :)

id love to know where people are finding the time to write this amount of pages?? im not even sure if its a good idea.. think about it if you were correcting like 200 scripts and you come across a script with eg 17 pages you would be pretty pissed befor youd even start

AdamD wrote: »
    Standard writing is like 10-12 words per line

actually the standard accepted amount is 7 -9 words per line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

DessieMG wrote: »
    I went for question 6 , the descriptive piece, i wrote 5 and a half pages and it was fairly descriptive, i didn't include the heading in my piece, does this make a difference?
    Nah, the quote thing is just to give you an idea of what it's about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

DessieMG wrote: »
    I went for question 6 , the descriptive piece, i wrote 5 and a half pages and it was fairly descriptive, i didn't include the heading in my piece, does this make a difference?
    No. It's just a stimulus, it doesn't have to be included in the essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Standard writing is like 10-12 words per line

I wouldn't have thought it would be that much tbh, maybe 9 at a push, def not 12 unless you have midget writing.

Anyway lads, it's QUALITY not quantity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Higher:
    Text 2, Question A (3 Pages)
    Text 3, Question B (2 Pages)
    Essay, Clothes: (3 Pages)

I laid it out nicely so hopefully that might score a few extra marks...
    I was disappointed that there was no photodocuments question (I know it was kind of covered in text 2) 'cause I always do that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

Comp on tight-rope was ok, got a bit bogged down though,
    Sec B diary entry was grand.
    Did the technology essay, I think nearly everyone did!

exact same as me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Did question A on the tight-rope boyo - Questions were good but i didn't explain them that well

Question B i picked the diary entry - Was a piece of piss and said my dad died, my mum was an alcoholic and that's why i was running away to Dublin :D

Composition - I picked the personal essay on clothes, wrote all about how we judged people on their appearance and not their personality.. A hape of bulls@!t but it read well :)
    higgz wrote: »
    PUBLIC SERVANTS. It was a lick ass ending :D

Reminds me of my Irish oral when she asked me what would i do if i was minister for education..?
    Started off by saying i'd cut teachers wages then i copped on that she was a teacher... so of course i said i'd raise teachers wages because teachers have a hard job and don't get enough respect for the work they do ;) I'm hoping my brown nosing will pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Yeah it was grand. 1st comprehension was a bit stupid, 2nd one was a breeze, 3rd one was good too. Did the part A in text 2 and part B in text 3. I think the majority did the diary entry.

Essay titles were a bit rubbish but I managed to throw a short story together on a modern fairytale...bit worried though that it doesn't really fit in with the brief. Aw well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Heres The higher level.
    They are low quality though and I dont know how to resize them

engpaper1.jpg
    engpaper11.jpg
    engpaper111.jpg
    engpaper1111.jpg
    engpaper11111.jpg
    engpaper111111.jpg
    engpaper1111111.jpgengpaper11111111.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I did the essay about 'my city' but I did it mainly informative with 2/3 pages on aesthetic so I hope the descriptive part wasn't too specific..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I did the essay about 'my city' but I did it mainly informative with 2/3 pages on aesthetic so I hope the descriptive part wasn't too specific..

I did it on Philadelphia :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I did the questions on text 1 and was pleased with those! Dont even like cats but shite talked away anyway! I did the diary entries on text 3 as well and those were grand. The essay was a killer though, i did no.6 on the city. I dont know what happened to me, i dont even know where i thought i was going with the essay so im sure the examiner is going to be quite puzzled by it.. thought evoking id call it now if he/she marks me bad on it :pac:

Heres to a hopefully handy out Paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

I forgot to put a title on my short story! Does that make a difference in marks?! Freaking out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

What is the descrpitive?? I did that too, like its very descriptive but I found it to be more of a short story when I think back on it :/... like ''when i arrived'' and ''i was astounded'' if you get me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

I did the Article about the place you would recommend people to go and stay in. The questions about Sarah and the old lady who was a pest :P and finally question 4 about an article on technology.. Never before did an article in my life but did 2 today.. Hoho boy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I forgot to put a title on my short story! Does that make a difference in marks?! Freaking out now.
    Heh, I did one worse, and forgot to number my composition. As soon as I sealed it I realised! Managed to scrape in a 1. into the sheet just as the superintendant picked it up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Question A: Text 3
    Question B: Text 2
    Essay: Short Story (7)

Honestly not too ecstatic :/ But its hard to know how to feel about the paper.
    I don't think I wrote enough but no point in post morteming ;)

Roll on Paper 2 :P

No difference.
    What is the descrpitive?? I did that too, like its very descriptive but I found it to be more of a short story when I think back on it :/... like ''when i arrived'' and ''i was astounded'' if you get me? :(
    You'll be fine so long as you maintained the descriptive element of the question. I made it somewhat of an anecdote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shelbourneTID

Think I forgot to number my comprehension answers but quoted from extract will I lose all my marks?

• Advertisement

Think I forgot to number my comprehension answers but quoted from extract will I lose all my marks?
    You'll be fine. The examiner may be a bit annoyed but once they read your answer they'll know what text you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Heh, I did one worse, and forgot to number my composition. As soon as I sealed it I realised! Managed to scrape in a 1. into the sheet just as the superintendant picked it up :P

Oh no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

Did 2A - the comprehension about the tight rope. part (iii) was a bit hard as the information i could give became quite scarce :/

Did 3B - the diary entry. This was very easy I thought:)

And in Section II I did question 6 and wrote about Dublin haha :)

Was easy overall though the theme did make me kinda disinterested at the beginning but I soon got into it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

RHunce wrote: »
    I did it on Philadelphia :rolleyes:

I did it as a general view bringing in the recession for most of it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Any particular reason why people wrote 7/8 page essays? We were told 4-6 was the guideline.

Because their writing is probably visible from space :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Question A: Text 2
    Question B: Text 1 (Wrote about Siberia, wtf I know...)
    Essay: Q4 Technology

Didn't do too well tbh, only wrote a little over 3 pages on technology :(
    What I wrote wasn't too bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Does a talk require a title!?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

... I hope not. I wrote "Books" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I didnt use one anyway, its a talk..why would it

• Advertisement