Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

QA - Cats. Nothing too spectacular about that one, got two pages out of it.

QB - I did the talk in the book club. Really enjoyed that one, got some solid references in there, so pretty happy with it.

Composing - 24 hours in the life of a city. Went for New York, 3.5 pages.

Tomorrow is a chance to make sure I secure a high enough grade. I'm not ecstatic about today's exam, but it could have gone way worse. We'll see in August :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Here's the ord paper, i'll update the post as i scan

Page 1
    page%201.jpeg

Page 2
    page%202%20.jpeg

Page 3
    page%203%20.jpeg

Page 4
    page%204.jpeg

Page 5
    Page%205.jpeg

Page 6
    page%206.jpeg

What was the theme?
    Travel or adventure or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ordinary looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

AdamD wrote: »
    Ordinary looks fun

Yeah I was talking to a couple of people who did it and they all said it was quite easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

sh__93 wrote: »
    Because their writing is probably visible from space :rolleyes:

Mine's not.. 8/9 words per line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Theme for OL was Space, so I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Text 2 :Question A part (iii)

It says identify 3 features of McCann's writing style,

I wrote how he describes how Petit captivates the onlookers and how he describes the real life images of NY and the fire hydrants etc, and another point about the chaos, but I didn't mention styles :/ how many marks out of 20 would I be looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was a bit sketchy on that question too. I said for the three features

-Effective use of narrative style (illustrative writing, scenes, etc)
    -Tension built effectively in the extract
    -Direct referencing of place names and reference to the New York accent (another day, another dolour) to create an identity of the place.

I think they were focusing more on features than just style but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Disappointed with the theme.

Thought the tight-rope was grand. Except for the bit where I didnt realise he actually had not walked the rope yet :rolleyes: Ha

Did the diary, great stuff!

Short story - I bombed!
    Went blank and ran outta time. Yes I had context, dialogue - the lot but you know when it ends with a vampire youre screwed. :( Opinions on the whole vamp edition?

Should of done the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

In the honours, the 6th essay ( Write a descriptive essay about twenty-four hours in the life of a town or city), is it ok if you make that into a story about a fellas life in the city???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Keen2win wrote: »
    In the honours, the 6th essay ( Write a descriptive essay about twenty-four hours in the life of a town or city), is it ok if you make that into a story about a fellas life in the city???

that's what I did and it turned out ok, i think :/

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

sh__93 wrote: »
    What was the theme?
    Travel or adventure or something?

Here is a quick site i just made with both papers all resized and layout nice

HIGHER & ORDINARY PAPER 1

DessieMG wrote: »

How do you know it turned out ok? Mine had an anecdote, narration, all dat sorta stuff... Jaysus, better be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Cydoniac wrote: »
    -Direct referencing of place names and reference to the New York accent (another day, another dolour) to create an identity of the place.

I was wondering why it was spelled like that... when I was quoting it I was going to change it but I though dolour might be some New Yorker joke... I see now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I was a bit sketchy on that question too. I said for the three features

-Effective use of narrative style (illustrative writing, scenes, etc)
    -Tension built effectively in the extract

I think they were focusing more on features than just style but I could be wrong.
    I used descriptive, informative and narrative :/ would they suit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I honestly dunno what they were looking for there. No point worrying about it now.
    Framble wrote: »
    I was wondering why it was spelled like that... when I was quoting it I was going to change it but I though dolour might be some New Yorker joke... I see now.
    Well I took it as helping the reader identify the area because McCann doesn't actually say it's New York or talks about the Twin Towers I think, it just says that in the background description above the extract.

DessieMG wrote: »
    I wrote mine as me in the city, so it kinda turned out to be a short story...I hope this is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

Do much people fail English? :confused: I got a C1 in the mocks but I fairly messed up the essay, I did the descriptive essay on the city but went wayyyy of topic :(

I wrote mine as me in the city, so it kinda turned out to be a short story...I hope this is ok!

And I said aesthetic use of language, informative, and the simple listing of items for dat oda question ya were talking about. Seems our answers are really similar!

vDarr wrote: »
    Do much people fail English? :confused: I got a C1 in the mocks but I fairly messed up the essay, I did the descriptive essay on the city but went wayyyy of topic :(

Do much people fail English? Ralph Wiggum?

• Advertisement

And I said aesthetic use of language, informative, and the simple listing of items for dat oda question ya were talking about. Seems our answers are really similar!
    Yeah its fairly descrpitive anyway.. kinda crap story but descriptive all the same! What a and b did you do?

Yeah its fairly descrpitive anyway.. kinda crap story but descriptive all the same! What a and b did you do?
    Done B on Text 1 and A on text 2

Exact same! Very worried about my B :( Lets hope we did ok! :D

Exact same! Very worried about my B :( Lets hope we did ok! :D
    What's the bets we get the exact same grade :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Did:
    Text 1 A.(i) said marlowe was busy,energetic yet relaxed when need be
    (ii) use of quotation,anecdote,personification
    (iii)(dodgy)-yes because they show how relaxed and friendly cats are,1 shows how relaxed the woman is with the cat, and 2 shows how cats are intellectual(stern look on his face)??????
    <bout a page and a bit each>

Text 3 B. before: said I (as the girl) was a drug addict mother and had to leave so my kid would have a better life...dropped him off at the 'rents while they were asleep on the way to the station.
    after: said how annoyed i was with the auld one for askin so many questions etc...
    its only now after the exam i notice that theyres a strong possibility the auld one was an angel!!!... makes so much sense lik.
    <bit over a page for both>

essay 4 bout technology. bad + good influences. think it wasnt too bad. <only 4 pages tho..>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Do the same poet come up for ordinary and higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

K i did the short story the last one the one where mystery is involved and mystery is resolved. did that perfectly but didnt realsie that my essay was seven pages so it took up a lot of time.

i did the comprehension one and thought i did really well in it. thought the styles question was a bit werid i just said use of inderect quotes, extremely personal and use of detailed descriptive phrases. that section went well thought i answered it well.

and then came question B did txt 3 and thought i did fantastic - diary entries - love them!!! but came out to only find out that i had totally misunderstood the txt 3 comprehension. for some stupid reason i thought that the girl doing all the talking as the young girl and the old lady was the one listening and then all of a sudden the old lady turns t the young girl and holds her hand............ yea??? so i didnt get the fact that she was running away from home. i went to do the diary entries anyway the first one was alright. cause it was before she got on the train so she hadnt met the girl. i made her out to be extremely excited because she as a country girl going to the city hahaha but the second one was where it went wrong. i started saying "met this lady on the train and couldnt get a word out of her" and " and when she did say somethingn it was something about a tree and then this strange moment occured when the lady held my hand and it was as if everythign had momentarily gone silent on the train" hahaha

My problem is i kinda want an A!! so how many marks do you think ill lose by doing that!! hope its not too many! any help will be greatly appreciated and yes i know im stupid and how in gods name did i think it was the young girl speaking when the person said " i guess you were born in 1988" i still dont know i was rushing for time ok..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Do the same poet come up for ordinary and higher?

No..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Do much people fail English? Ralph Wiggum?

haha.. 'me fail english? that's unpossible':cool:
    my idol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

so i didnt get the fact that she was running away from home.

Was she actually running away from home? In my diary I said her dad knew she was going to Dublin but even she didn't know how long she was gone for..!

It's all interpretation though?

Advertisement