Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Was she actually running away from home? In my diary I said her dad knew she was going to Dublin but even she didn't know how long she was gone for..!

It's all interpretation though?

Okay so you didnt really have to say she was running home. but if she was id say youd get more marks for realsing she was..........

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Was a pretty good paper I think, it's a good start for the week.

Was convinced I'd do the fairlytale one and then when I started to write the technology one was just flowing from my fingertips. Wrote four pages but honestly don't think it needed to be any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

QA on tightrope: loved it so easy!
    QB on travel article: did it on Iceland but went on bit too much about geothermal energy and volcanic activity , (obviously thinking too much about geog on fri!)

My essay was on 24 hours in a city, reads more like a short story though through the eyes of a homeless man so I probably will be marked down considerably :-( only wrote 3pages aswell fairly poor essay altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

QB on travel article: did it on Iceland but went on bit too much about geothermal energy and volcanic activity , (obviously thinking too much about geog on fri!)
    Heh, I did it on Iceland too. I focused more on the language, culture, and music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AutumnBreeze

Aaaagh.
    Came out of the exam brimming, it had gone fantastic!
    Then later realised I hadn't read the title of the clothes essay correctly and I feel like I went off topic and more about the importance of clothes in general to people.
    Wonder how badly i'll be brought down in marks for it....:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

Essay titles were muck in my opinion. Started off on the city one then changed to the mystery one! Talked about the mystery of whether Toads are really just big Frogs! Hope the examiner appreciates something a bit different! Ahahaha!

Comprehensions were lovely.. Did the train one!

SO HAPPY with the talk. Couldn't have asked for a better functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Aaaagh.
    Came out of the exam brimming, it had gone fantastic!
    Then later realised I hadn't read the title of the clothes essay correctly and I feel like I went off topic and more about the importance of clothes in general to people.
    Wonder how badly i'll be brought down in marks for it....:(

I FEEL THE EXACT SAME!! I was buzzing coming out of the exam hall till i realised what happened to me!

I FEEL THE EXACT SAME!! I was buzzing coming out of the exam hall till i realised what happened to me!

Well at least I'm not the only one P:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Question A I did on Text 2. I thought it was quite interesting to read and got through it, but it did take a good bit of time.

Question B I did on Text 1 (the travel one). I LOVE that stuff, and it helps that I read National Geographic and the Sunday Times Travel Mag. :P

I did the essay on Discrimination and Tolerance. (#2) Managed to turn it into a massive rant, but it still was okay. Started with "All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to turn a blind eye" and ended with the Martin Luther King Jr. "I have a dream...." cliché speech. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just asking one thing, in the 100 mark question did you have to put the quote provided in the question into the essay?
    In my mocks i wrote a 5 page essay and got 0 marks because i didnt put the quote in and didnt base the story around the quote :(
    Today, i didnt have alot of time to do my essay and bearly got 3 pages, but I rushed the story at the end and didnt get to completely finish it off, and because of the rushing, i forgot to put the quote in.
    Will i get 0 marks again ?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Just asking one thing, in the 100 mark question did you have to put the quote provided in the question into the essay?
    In my mocks i wrote a 5 page essay and got 0 marks because i didnt put the quote in and didnt base the story around the quote :(
    Today, i didnt have alot of time to do my essay and bearly got 3 pages, but I rushed the story at the end and didnt get to completely finish it off, and because of the rushing, i forgot to put the quote in.
    Cheers

No don't think your required to, its just there to give you ideas

Hopefully, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

Cheers

.... I didn't use the quote. And I'm pretty damn sure you don't have to...
    That's just cold.. Zero for something like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Cheers
    No. It's not necessary to include the quote in your essay. Whoever marked your mock needs to find another job.

No. It's not necessary to include the quote in your essay. Whoever marked your mock needs to find another job.
    Thats what i said, but the teacher then said that it was one of the top examiners who marked ours. To be fair i thought my mocks were marked really hard.
    The quote was "i grew up on the windswept plains" and it said write a short story in which the background setting has an influence on the main character.
    I wrote about a teenager whos dad gets murdered because hes surrounded by a drug ridden community, run down area etc and got 0 marks.

Lets hope that doesnt happen again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thats what i said, but the teacher then said that it was one of the top examiners who marked ours.
    The top examiner at mocks.ie maybe? :D

Certainly not a top examiner for the State Examinations Commission anyway... or at least I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I'm a repeat leaving cert this year and to be honest I thought that paper 1 this year was a lot nicer than last years paper...
    Overall was pretty pleased with it..
    I done Question A on text 1 ..the cat lady
    Question B on text 3 diary entries which I was soo happy to see :D
    Composition was 3. the fairytale... which I thought went okay I was pretty pleased with it...could have been a bit better but hey nothing I can do about it now....I felt I was kind of running out of time towards the end but I got all done thank god...

I am dreading tomorrows paper though....guess I better start cramming for tomorrow...:P:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thats what i said, but the teacher then said that it was one of the top examiners who marked ours. To be fair i thought my mocks were marked really hard.
    The quote was "i grew up on the windswept plains" and it said write a short story in which the background setting has an influence on the main character.
    I wrote about a teenager whos dad gets murdered because hes surrounded by a drug ridden community, run down area etc and got 0 marks.

Lets hope that doesnt happen again :)

You should have gotten more than 0. Did you link "windwept plains" to "drug-ridden community"?

Also, I felt our pres were marked too easily (I pulled around 65% in Paper 2 witht page and three qurater compartive, 2 and a half page hamlet, but good poetry answers, got 69% overall). I felt I deserved way less for Paer 2. I asked my teacher what he thought of our marker, and he said we couldn't possibly get a better one, as he marks the Leaving every year; I got it re-checked and nothing was changed. Who was I to complain :D Hopefully he was a good marker. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

One of my friends, who hasn't been in the past two weeks, came in and took the ordinary paper. I couldn't exactly shout at him from across the room "NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!".

He's in so rarely that he doesn't realise that Honors and Ordinary do completely different poets, single text etc. He's doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

I actually specifically named Harry Potter as a book of enduring appeal of mystery. (or whatever it was)

Never talked in general at all! Didn't realise I was supposed to. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

PJelly wrote: »
    One of my friends, who hasn't been in the past two weeks, came in and took the ordinary paper. I couldn't exactly shout at him from across the room "NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!".

He's in so rarely that he doesn't realise that Honors and Ordinary do completely different poets, single text etc. He's doomed.

Dramatic much? No they don't, the list of single texts for HL and OL completely overlap and half of the OL poems are taken from the HL course. He's not "doomed" :rolleyes:
    I actually specifically named Harry Potter as a book of enduring appeal of mystery. (or whatever it was)

Never talked in general at all! Didn't realise I was supposed to. :confused:

That's fine; you've just based your talk on one specific example of "the mysterious in books, films etc". It's a bit narrow, yes, but if it's well-written, you'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The pass was pretty easy. I did B on text 1, A on text 2 and number 6 for the essay.

I was surprised no visual came up for text 3 though. I wouldn't of done it anyway.

snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omorish

Hey guys. I feel terrible right now. To be honest, paper one was easy than any other papers I've seen. But I screwed it up. When I tell you how much pages I used, you'd be speechless. I only used four pages. :(I wrote half a page for each parts in ques a. ( I did text A ) and rarely wrote anything for b. Lastly, for composition, I wrote two pages. My writin ain't that big though. Seeing people using more than seven pages makes me feel depressed. Sigh* I'm really slow at writing when it comes to paper one but in paper two I do much much better. I can't stop crying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Omorish wrote: »
    Hey guys. I feel terrible right now. To be honest, paper one was easy than any other papers I've seen. But I screwed it up. When I tell you how much pages I used, you'd be speechless. I only used four pages. :(I wrote half a page for each parts in ques a. ( I did text A ) and rarely wrote anything for b. Lastly, for composition, I wrote two pages. My writin ain't that big though. Seeing people using more than seven pages makes me feel depressed. Sigh* I'm really slow at writing when it comes to paper one but in paper two I do much much better. I can't stop crying...

Hey, I know its not easy, but try not to worry about it too much :) You need to concentrate on paper 2 now, you have almost a full day to look over everything for it. Paper 1 is only half the exam! So you didn't write all that much, but if your content was good quality and fits in with the requirements they're looking for, its better than people who may have wrote reams and reams of waffle! :) Don't dwell on it, its best just to move on and start preparing for the next exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

aww u poor thing, dont cry, its over u cant change it, head up and ul ace tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Listen. It's not the end of the world. Do not decide that you've failed. If you do a halfway decent Paper 2, you're going to be okay. Wipe the tears away, you've done it, it's over. Stay strong, it will be okay, trust me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omorish

Thanks, I'll try not to dwell on it. (: I just don't want to fail English... It's the one subject I dread....... But I'm fine with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

Thanks, I'll try not to dwell on it. (: I just don't want to fail English... It's the one subject I unexpectedly dread.... But I'm fine with the rest.

i no how u feel am the same but only a small percent actually do fail and like u said ur good at paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Overall I think I did ok. The theme really suprised me though! Did text 2 and 3 - so glad when the diary came up :D The composition suprised me a bit and the only one I felt comfortable with was the clothes one, would have loved to do a short story. Anyway its paper 2 to be concerned about now!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hey guys. I feel terrible right now.

I can't stop crying...

That's the problem with post-mortems on exam papers. You come out of an exam happy with what you've done and then start comparing how much you've written with other people and you go home depressed.

What changed? Nothing! What you wrote hasn't been devalued because someone else wrote 4 more pages of possible sh*te.

Examiners don't judge on the length of answer and neither should you.

Dry your eyes, have a cup of tea and half a packet of biscuits and get out your essay plans for Paper II:)

Advertisement