Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Omorish wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll try not to dwell on it. (: I just don't want to fail English... It's the one subject I unexpectedly dread.... But I'm fine with the rest.
    Worst thing you can do is compare yourself to everyone else on here. Have some faith in your own answers! If you were happy with what you did in that exam then who is anyone to say you did wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Simple :D
    English is my best subject
    Did question a on the cats
    Question B on the young girl
    Did Q7 the short story
    Im on my way to my A1 :D
    Bring on paper 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Done decent. But the Composing titles were horrendous ffs. My favourite t-shirt like really O.o

I done Q7 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Hey guys. I feel terrible right now. To be honest, paper one was easy than any other papers I've seen. But I screwed it up. When I tell you how much pages I used, you'd be speechless. I only used four pages. :(I wrote half a page for each parts in ques a. ( I did text A ) and rarely wrote anything for b. Lastly, for composition, I wrote two pages. My writin ain't that big though. Seeing people using more than seven pages makes me feel depressed. Sigh* I'm really slow at writing when it comes to paper one but in paper two I do much much better. I can't stop crying...

In all honestly, it really doesnt matter about length. Again its QUALITY not quantity! I worte 3 pages for A, 2 for B and 4 1/2 for the composition. My writing is fairly big so i wouldnt worry. As ling as you answered the question and reffered to when needed your sound. I bet you did better than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Heh, I did it on Iceland too. I focused more on the language, culture, and music though.

Ditto! I talked about the bloke who makes percussion instruments out of rhubarb and stones. Let's hope the examiner enjoys the obscurity :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Why didn't I think of Iceland, I done the bloody Amazon ¬¬

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

deemark wrote: »
    That's the problem with post-mortems on exam papers. You come out of an exam happy with what you've done and then start comparing how much you've written with other people and you go home depressed.

What changed? Nothing! What you wrote hasn't been devalued because someone else wrote 4 more pages of possible sh*te.

Examiners don't judge on the length of answer and neither should you.

Dry your eyes, have a cup of tea and half a packet of biscuits and get out your essay plans for Paper II:)

Exactly the thing after happening to me . . . i'm now wondering whether my story classified as a " fairy tale ". Does it have to involve elements of the fantasy such as goblins,wizards etc . . . ? I have none of that involved in the story i've done.

Webster defines a fairy tale as : a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending in which my story would in fact fit into.

Of course not. Stories like Cinderella and Hansel & Gretel are all based around normal people (for the most part).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CatherineY

Is the threat of obesity, loss of english language through texting talk, loss of physical books etc relevant to the impact of technology on young people's lives?? Having a mini freak out here :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

CatherineY wrote: »
    Is the threat of obesity, loss of english language through texting talk, loss of physical books etc relevant to the impact of technology on young people's lives?

Yes. If you think it is and proved through your writing that it is, then it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

CatherineY wrote: »
    Is the threat of obesity, loss of english language through texting talk, loss of physical books etc relevant to the impact of technology on young people's lives?? Having a mini freak out here :eek:

I would think so yea... I mean there are a lot of ways you can back any of those up to support them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Keen2win wrote: »
    What's the bets we get the exact same grade :P
    Report back here on August 17th :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

DessieMG wrote: »
    Text 2 :Question A part (iii)

It says identify 3 features of McCann's writing style,

I wrote how he describes how Petit captivates the onlookers and how he describes the real life images of NY and the fire hydrants etc, and another point about the chaos, but I didn't mention styles :/ how many marks out of 20 would I be looking at?
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    I was a bit sketchy on that question too. I said for the three features

-Effective use of narrative style (illustrative writing, scenes, etc)
    -Tension built effectively in the extract
    -Direct referencing of place names and reference to the New York accent (another day, another dolour) to create an identity of the place.

I think they were focusing more on features than just style but I could be wrong.

In this question I wrote about:

1. McCann's ability to capture moments, ie the opening paragraph, where he describes every body looking up
    2. His descriptive powers, the candy wrapper of the fire hydrant (think that was it), sound of cars etc
    3. The way he formed a sense of anticipation that made us want to read on, "out he went"

Hope that's ok :confused:
    Lexii307 wrote: »
    Simple :D
    English is my best subject
    Did question a on the cats
    Question B on the young girl
    Did Q7 the short story
    Im on my way to my A1 :D
    Bring on paper 2!

Wow :eek:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that before about English. It can be an exam that will give you a swift quick up the arse if you become over complacent and cocky. For your sake I hope this doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey Omorish, I wouldn't be hugely worried about the quantity of your answers in Paper 1. If the language used was well presented, and your writing was full of meaning you'll achieve good marks regardless of the length.

My Sister did her LC last year and she came home in the exact same position as you were in, very upset and annoyed about the way she had performed during her exam. Our Mother told her to put it out of her mind and focus on the following days exams. She ended up with an A2 in Higher Level, AND it turned out that her Paper 1 score was slightly higher than her Paper 2 for which she wrote tons for! :)

Chin up, you'll get a chance to make it up!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Couldn't think of any features of style so for the tight rope text Q3 I said:

-vivid descriptions (feature of a descriptive piece)
    -lists of 3s (make the scene come alive) :confused:
    -simple writing (used as persuasion to make us appreciate the amazement of what was happening)

Are they any way near right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Hey guys. I feel terrible right now. To be honest, paper one was easy than any other papers I've seen. But I screwed it up. When I tell you how much pages I used, you'd be speechless. I only used four pages. :(I wrote half a page for each parts in ques a. ( I did text A ) and rarely wrote anything for b. Lastly, for composition, I wrote two pages. My writin ain't that big though. Seeing people using more than seven pages makes me feel depressed. Sigh* I'm really slow at writing when it comes to paper one but in paper two I do much much better. I can't stop crying...

I'm repeating this year, and last year I came out of Paper 1 thinking I had just thrown away all my marks. I wrote 5 pages in total last year, but came out with a B1 and Paper 2 isn't my strong point. So don't put yourself down, stranger things have happened! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

HELP!!! :(:(

I left out part 3 of question A (text 2) worth 20 marks!

Such a stupid stupid mistake!

Is there ANY chance I could still get an A1? I wrote a totally impromptu article on the "impact of technology on young people" but I think it turned out good.

Also for part 1 of QA text 1 I wrote emotional responses instead of actual physical responses.. But I thought that was open to interpretation..

I am SO angry at myself you wouldn't believe it.. :mad: English was my best subject and I was desparate for it to be my one and only A..

Anyone got any consolation?

x

It's 20 marks. In the scale of things (400 marks) it isn't huge. Try to make up for it with a strong Paper 2.

I'll be honest though: You're going to need to really well done Paper 2 to be in with a chance of an A1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's only 5%. Just give Paper II all you've got and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

AG2R wrote: »
    Why didn't I think of Iceland, I done the bloody Amazon ¬¬
    seems like most people did Iceland, from what ive seen on boards anyway

how depressing, i was convinced mine would be unique in all the Australias/NYs/LAs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

HELP!!! :(:(

I left out part 3 of question A (text 2) worth 20 marks!

Such a stupid stupid mistake!

Is there ANY chance I could still get an A1? I wrote a totally impromptu article on the "impact of technology on young people" but I think it turned out good.

Also for part 1 of QA text 1 I wrote emotional responses instead of actual physical responses.. But I thought that was open to interpretation..

I am SO angry at myself you wouldn't believe it.. :mad: English was my best subject and I was desparate for it to be my one and only A..

Anyone got any consolation?

x

hard luck. im sickened for u. but try to forget about now.paper 1s done and dusted. Focus entirely on paper 2 now. You can still get a great grade if u do really well in paper 2. They are equal marks lik.

MikeHough wrote: »
    hard luck. im sickened for u. but try to forget about now.paper 1s done and dusted. Focus entirely on paper 2 now. You can still get a great grade if u do really well in paper 2. They are equal marks lik.

Thanks.. I know its stupid but I actually cried for like 2 hours straight after home ec :L Im such a wuss... Really flippin wanted an A.. And I had the plan of answer to the question I missed written on the pink sheet.. :(

Is there any chance they'd really realised I just.. forgot.. to do it :( ?

Clutching at straws here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

GV_NRG wrote: »
    id love to know where people are finding the time to write this amount of pages?? im not even sure if its a good idea.. think about it if you were correcting like 200 scripts and you come across a script with eg 17 pages you would be pretty pissed befor youd even start

Bit late but just to reassure anyone who did write a long paper - I did my LC in 2006. I wrote 21 pages for paper one and about 18 pages for paper 2 (and no, my writing isn't big at all, quite small actually!). I got an A1 on the Honours paper. If you're writing a small amount that is full of good quality material, you'll do well. If you write a long paper, that is all good quality material and no filler, you'll also do well. It's about quality and content rather than the actual length of it, so relax guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kingofthehobos

Had an awful experience.. My bottle of lucozade decided to explode when i opened it. Examiner had to clean it up and everyone was in stitches! haha :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loopylocky

My phone went off during the exam today :eek: , had it turned off but came back on with an alarm was thinkin i was goin to be thrown out :(, though the examiner didnt say much but leave at home 2moro.

thought paper was good really,
    did 2A about 3 1/2 pages
    1B 2 pages i used where i am actually from in real life and let on id never been there :D
    did question one for essay knocked off about 5 pages of pure gold about freedom and sovereignty been indispinsible to me :D

DON'T BRING YOUR PHONE INTO THE EXAM!!!
    Leave it outside. Jesus, that could have cost you your exam. You're lucky you got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is there any chance they'd really realised I just.. forgot.. to do it :( ?

Clutching at straws here :P

Look, if the rest of your paper is perfect, an examiner would realise what happened and wouldn't leave you hanging on a grade i.e. s/he would find the marks elsewhere if s/he felt your exam deserved it.

deemark wrote: »
    Look, if the rest of your paper is perfect, an examiner would realise what happened and wouldn't leave you hanging on a grade i.e. s/he would find the marks elsewhere if s/he felt your exam deserved it.

Thank you so so much, :-*

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loopylocky

one of my mates did question A and B on the same text she didnt realise until after the exam :confused: she was aimin for high B nows shes buggered :(

• Advertisement

loopylocky wrote: »
    one of my mates did question A and B on the same text she didnt realise until after the exam :confused: she was aimin for high B nows shes buggered :(

The poor thing :( I dont what the code of practice is for a situation like that?

Advertisement