Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The poor thing :( I dont what the code of practice is for a situation like that?

She'll get marked for the best one out of A and B and she'll be down 50 marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

The poor thing :( I dont what the code of practice is for a situation like that?

I done that in the mocks.
    She will get marked for her best answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Had an awful experience.. My bottle of lucozade decided to explode when i opened it. Examiner had to clean it up and everyone was in stitches! haha :o

Happened to a girl in my centre too! He got up, turned her table around and she had to face the rest of us doing her exam. Mortified for her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

polka dot wrote: »
    Happened to a girl in my centre too! He got up, turned her table around and she had to face the rest of us doing her exam. Mortified for her!

Could be worse - think of the Inbetweeners episode where Will is doing his exam.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

What is that supposed to do? Punish her? Just seems unfair.
    plus, she could just y'know, move her chair to the other side of the table :p instead of moving the whole table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Get her to tell the principal.. The guy sounds like a right *****!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Wow :eek:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that before about English. It can be an exam that will give you a swift quick up the arse if you become over complacent and cocky. For your sake I hope this doesnt happen.

Im not cocky im just confident that i can get my A1. If people think im cocky so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I really don't see how it's cocky to think you did well in an exam, and will do well in an exam. I'd rather people saying ''I'm going to do well because I've worked hard and I'm confident'' than all the people going around saying ''OMG gonna fail so bad.'' yet not doing anything about it.

Nothing wrong with being confident. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

flyaway. wrote: »
    I really don't see how it's cocky to think you did well in an exam, and will do well in an exam. I'd rather people saying ''I'm going to do well because I've worked hard and I'm confident'' than all the people going around saying ''OMG gonna fail so bad.'' yet not doing anything about it.

Nothing wrong with being confident. :confused:

not cocky at all, especially with other subjects. but an a1 in english isn't really something you can bank on through your own interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    not cocky at all, especially with other subjects. but an a1 in english isn't really something you can bank on through your own interpretation

I know the JC is no comparison but my friend thought she'd get an A and got a C and vice-versa for me :/ I don't think they marked them properly at all.. I remember screwing up one or two "Merchant of Venice" and "Lord of the Flies" questions.. As for the essay :L on the spot or what?! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Couldn't think of any features of style so for the tight rope text Q3 I said:

-vivid descriptions (feature of a descriptive piece)
    -lists of 3s (make the scene come alive) :confused:
    -simple writing (used as persuasion to make us appreciate the amazement of what was happening)
    -shows is the chaos that was created. (Dessie Mg added this in)
    Are they any way near right?

if you wrote this how many marks could you expect out of 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There's no point dissecting the paper anymore at this stage, you should all be gearing up for Paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Did grand, text 2 A text three (diary) B and essay 7, solving a mystery.

Guys, is it just me or are the essays you write in exam situations NEVER as good as the ones you'd write up in your room?

DessieMG wrote: »
    if you wrote this how many marks could you expect out of 20?

As in they're the points I wrote. I obviously developed them.

As in they're the points I wrote. I obviously developed them.

yea obviously! i wrote the same thing and a few people told me it's wrongish because they were looking for things like ''narrative style'' etc, I'm just wondering how many marks we're looking at out of 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Fbjm wrote: »
    Did grand, text 2 A text three (diary) B and essay 7, solving a mystery.

Guys, is it just me or are the essays you write in exam situations NEVER as good as the ones you'd write up in your room?

Nope, not just you!

My teacher would probably get a heart attack if he saw my "article on the influence of technology on young people" :o

"www.endmylife.com" how flipping stupid and insensitive does that sound as a made up suicide pact website?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

That was great :pac:
    Did the cat one for the craic,
    did the diary entry 'cos I can't write articles or talks,
    none of my essays suited the headings so I did a page and a half on number 6 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

they only count the highest scoring question i.e out of 50

so at least 50 marks down the drain!!!!!!!

yea obviously! i wrote the same thing and a few people told me it's wrongish because they were looking for things like ''narrative style'' etc, I'm just wondering how many marks we're looking at out of 20!

Oh right. I thought you were saying how can I expect to get marks for that!

Originally by Lil Miss Ciara:

Couldn't think of any features of style so for the tight rope text Q3 I said:

-vivid descriptions (feature of a descriptive piece)
    -lists of 3s (make the scene come alive)
    -simple writing (used as persuasion to make us appreciate the amazement of what was happening)
    -shows is the chaos that was created. (Dessie Mg added this in)
    Are they any way near right?

I did the same as this and develpoed the points (obviously), a few people told me it was wrong as they were looking for things like ''narrative style'' etc

how many marks can I expect out of 20?

• Advertisement

Oh right. I thought you were saying how can I expect to get marks for that!

nah :) sorry I keep posting the same question I'm just kinda worried :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

The only mystery about that paper, is how I could get anything less than an A1:D

They are kind of features of style I suppose!

In my view they were looking more for techniques then just informative, narrative, persuasive. The only 'style' I could see was narrative in that. I just wrote narrative as my first point, then tension, then references to places/people/dialect

Cydoniac wrote: »
    In my view they were looking more for techniques then just informative, narrative, persuasive. The only 'style' I could see was narrative in that. I just wrote narrative as my first point, then tension, then references to places/people/dialect

so roughly what can I expect out of 20, guesstimate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SBray

I feel pretty good in what I done. Wasn't a bad HL paper, the texts were okay but the theme of the paper seemed odd. The essays were also a bit odd. Also, there was no letter anywhere on the paper! Feeling better then when I did the pre anyway, so :P Tomorrow is the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Don't guess your results for your LC, it could be devastating, just leave things be and see in August :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

SBray wrote: »
    I feel pretty good in what I done. Wasn't a bad HL paper, the texts were okay but the theme of the paper seemed odd. The essays were also a bit odd. Also, there was no letter anywhere on the paper! Feeling better then when I did the pre anyway, so :P Tomorrow is the problem!

One might say it was a mystery ;)

so roughly what can I expect out of 20, guesstimate?
    Honestly, I'm not an examiner, and I can't see your answer, there's no way I'd be able to. Put it at the back of your mind and get prepped for Paper 2 instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

HELP!!! :(:(

I left out part 3 of question A (text 2) worth 20 marks!

Such a stupid stupid mistake!

Is there ANY chance I could still get an A1? I wrote a totally impromptu article on the "impact of technology on young people" but I think it turned out good.

Also for part 1 of QA text 1 I wrote emotional responses instead of actual physical responses.. But I thought that was open to interpretation..

I am SO angry at myself you wouldn't believe it.. :mad: English was my best subject and I was desparate for it to be my one and only A..

Anyone got any consolation?

x

It's not any consolation, I know, but you will not be alone in doing this.

What you have described, not answering the right number/combination of questions and not answering the question asked are the number one reasons why people lose marks.

You can't do anything about it now, just try not to do it again.

Advertisement