Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Senna

Comments

Tried to watch the 2.40 minute version today but couldn't get into. Will give it another go in a day or so but it seems to be a film that you really have to be in the mood for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Tried to watch the 2.40 minute version today but couldn't get into. Will give it another go in a day or so but it seems to be a film that you really have to be in the mood for.
    I wasn't particularly in the mood to watch it but it gripped me from the word go. I heard it was good and didn't have too much of an interest in the subject matter so I said I'd give it a go. Fantastic film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah it's really one that you can throw on at any time and just become engrossed in it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Castroman

Easily the best film I've seen this year.. Pure driving, real racing..that makes me happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is there a longer version of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I hope so. I'd love to see it if it does exist, personally. Was engrossed the whole way through it and wanted to see more of it once it ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Didnt get to see this, couldnt convince the gf it was my turn or do go the one day it was on :( Bring on the dvd :rolleyes:

There is a 162 minute extended version floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

bnt wrote: »
    Whatever you think about Prost, it's worth remembering that he happily contributed to the film, and related his side of the story in it.

PS: interest in Formula 1 history has definitely been kicked off in Hollywood, and I wonder how much is down to this film? Ron Howard has just signed on to direct Rush, a biopic of Niki Lauda.

I dont know if thats true. The footage is original footage from the time. He had no idea it would be used in a film later on or in such a manner.

Thats great to hear about Niki Lauda - looking forward to seeing that!

• Advertisement

There was some voice-over from Prost though...can't remember if it was from back then or more recent (something to do with his style of driving, how it was going to go against him some day).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There is a 162 minute extended version floating around.
    Ah, that's okay. I was a few minutes late going into this. I was wondering if I missed more of it than I thought. :D

Really enjoyed it though, despite knowing next to nothing about Senna and Formula One.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I watched the longer version earlier (although I didn't know it was the extended version at the time), I thought it was way too long tbh, 40 minutes at least could have been shaved off it.

Yeah, I've been looking up about this longer version and it seems it is an extended cut created for DVD/Blu-ray. The only difference is that it contains talking head interviews inserted into the film. The version I saw contained NO talking heads, just voice-over. It was the thing I really liked about it, so I don't like the sound of this longer version.

Yeah, I've been looking up about this longer version and it seems it is an extended cut created for DVD/Blu-ray. The only difference is that it contains talking head interviews inserted into the film. The version I saw contained NO talking heads, just voice-over. It was the thing I really liked about it, so I don't like the sound of this longer version.

There are lots and I mean lots of talking heads in it, it's an interesting topic but the extended cut does seem to drag it out. I don't think I can be bothered with the extended cut and may just watch the theatrical version as it's an hour shorter and seems to be far more entertaining.

Ha, yeah the lack of talking heads is basically what makes this documentary work. No wonder they cut it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

that prost fella sure was a bucket of p1ss, trying to run him off the track then running off to the race martials when he makes it back onto the track and wins the race looking to have him disqualified on a technicality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

yammycat wrote: »
    that prost fella sure was a bucket of p1ss, trying to run him off the track then running off to the race martials when he makes it back onto the track and wins the race looking to have him disqualified on a technicality

Who wouldnt have done what Prost did? Would you have just turned a world title over to another driver that easy? My eye!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2 hour forty minute cut sounds like it's well worth avoiding. For a documentary that merely tells a story as opposed to making any sort of major or insightful point I admired the decision to keep the focus firmly on archive footage and off-screen interviews. Talking heads added to the mix just wouldn't work IMO, and would take away the one aspect that made it stand out from the crowd. Still don't think it was a great film by any stretch, but it was most definitely fantastically put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Berns wrote: »
    Didnt get to see this, couldnt convince the gf it was my turn or do go the one day it was on :( Bring on the dvd :rolleyes:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

You must watch it on the big screen, if only to hear the old V12s screaming around Monaco! The onboard footage on the big-screen is just fabulous.

My girlfriend isn't remotely interested in any sport, least of all motorsport. I convinced her that it was more about the man himself rather than the sport and she agreed to go. She ended up loving it, and thinking he was absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I watched the longer version and in fairness I did feel it was a bit too long...some of the guys doing interviews were a bit odd as well, especially the American guy who had his eyes closed half the time...

Though the interviews with Prost definitely added something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I guess it would be nice if both versions got released on DVD/Blu-Ray then you can pick and choose which you want to watch. It's out in the UK on DVD/Blu-Ray in October/November. I assume that means it will be out here at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

For me, a good documentary can tell a story where you know how it ends, but are still affected by it. I had a lump in my throat the size of an apple at the end, and that is a good sign.

I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

It really added to my hatred of Alain Prost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

So annoying that this is not showing in a single Northside cinema.
    (I know it's showing on Parnell St.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Incredible film making. The poignancy of Senna supposing that he would have many years to live barely 18 months before his death was heart stopping.
    The villain of the piece - Alain Prost - is shown to be very human: Senna, and there is a certain license to this, is portrayed as godlike.
    The best movie I have seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

born2bwild wrote: »
    Incredible film making. The poignancy of Senna supposing that he would have many years to live barely 18 months before his death was heart stopping.
    The villain of the piece - Alain Prost - is shown to be very human: Senna, and there is a certain license to this, is portrayed as godlike.
    The best movie I have seen in a very long time.
    +1 to that.

Boards was a tad quiet this evening so I settled in to the 2hr 42min version. I must say its the best film/documentary i have seen in a long while. I was very young when Senna/Prost were at each others throats in the late 80's therefore I can only now appreciate what real sporting rivlary is. Is all very PC btw team mates nowadays, and the sport is the lesser for it.

Senna was a real 'hands on' driver if you catch my drift. The advances of Computer technology in cars did appear to stunt his influence somewhat and dilute his opinions on the new F1 Cars coming through. The biggest shame was that the Williams Team actually improved dramatically not long after his untimely death. What shocked me was how bad the Williams car was during Senna's first few races.

Two pieces of footage are somewhat freaky:

1. Footage of Senna watching the events of Ratzenburger's accident and his reaction to that.
    2. His demeanour whilst sitting in the car on the Grid before the Imola Grand Prix at which he died. His mannerisms and dejection are almost like a man knowing that he is meeting his death

All in all a fantastic view.....despite the footage of Martin Donnelly's accident:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Another very poignant fact that wasn't in the film (dunno about the extended version) was that Senna had an furled Austrian flag in his sleeve that he'd obviously planned to display in memory of Roland Ratzenberger.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Another very poignant fact that wasn't in the film (dunno about the extended version) was that Senna had an furled Austrian flag in his sleeve that he'd obviously planned to display in memory of Roland Ratzenberger.
    Yep that was referred to by one of the Journalists during the film.

Another thing was not referred to at all but footage was shown in the credits; Where he stoped to help a French F1 Driver (Comas?) when he crashed during a Grand Prix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I can't imagine how they could have produced a better documentary about the man. It's practically flawless. The film really brought home to me how modern F1 pales in comparison to F1 in that era. Some of the feats he pulled off were truly extraordinary, for example the idea of someone lapping almost every car around Monaco beggars belief! I'd didn't know that Ratzenberger died the same weekend. A truly black weekend for the sport. As has been mentioned some sections were incredibly poignant. All in all a wonderful tribute to a magnificent sportsman. RIP Ayrton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Fantastic film, saw it in the cinema and will be buying the dvd.
    I saw him race back in the early 90's at Silverstone and Spa (was there to cheer on the Jordans!)
    One thing I really don't understand is why the director chose to leave out the footage of that first lap from Donington in 1993?
    It would have summed up his driving skill and talent perfectly, especially for the 'non F1' audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MAvSZPHSZ4

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

I hate F1 but this film is the best I've seen all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Watched it the other night. A great film. Liked the way they used Brazilian commentators to capture the emotion of his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

If you haven't seen this rent it out. Fantastic movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

furiousox wrote: »
    One thing I really don't understand is why the director chose to leave out the footage of that first lap from Donington in 1993?
    It would have summed up his driving skill and talent perfectly, especially for the 'non F1' audience.

He reckoned everyone knows the clip and its been in every Senna documentary. Pontless filler thats been done to death or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Best documentary I've ever watched.
    I hate F1 but this film is the best I've seen all year.

But I was always curious how someone not interested in Formula 1 would view it. I've been raving about it since I saw it but thought I might be kinda biased by my interest in F1. Glad to see non-F1 people giving it a thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

just finished watching it,
    fantastic film, made me sad though:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Just watched this... brilliant, man was a legend. Loved how they portrayed Prost to be the bad guy, just made the movie even more awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick this up, online or in the shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Amazon marketplace is usually the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fantastic film

The image of Proist carrying his coffin at the end is powerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just watched the Extended version for the first time, I seen the original veriosn in the cinema.

I must say the extended veriosn moves a bit slower, more interviews really, but I prefer it, as there is more to Prost then whats portrayed in the film.

I like the fact that they Prost mentioned Senna left him a message saying the Williams team missed him.

Great film making and loved every second of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fantastic film

The image of Proist carrying his coffin at the end is powerful

+1. Im not one for getting emotional but that part really got me. Great film, hopefully will win best ducomentary at the oscars next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Seen the film last night and the man himself came across as an arrogant person who would do any amount of back stabbing to get his way. The film itself was'nt bad but i would'nt be telling people to rush out and see it.

I reckon a lot of folk who actually followed f1 in the 80's would hold a similar view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is definitely the film of the year for me.
    And it has already ranked in as one of my favourite films. I absolutely love this film. I saw it twice in the cinema, I even wanted to go a third time but the girlfriend wasn't having any of it :mad:
    It is a very very moving film. I have never seen a reaction from an audience in the cinema as I did the first night I saw it. When the credits were rolling, and the lights were on, there wasn't a word. Not one person had even started to stand up. The credits were finished before the first person stood up, and the silence from such a big crowd was eery.

I bought this on blu ray last week. I never buy new release blu rays as they are too expensive IMO, but this was one film I didn't mind spending the money on. I watched the extended version a few nights ago. I was a bit let down by it, I didn't realise it would be cutting to interviews the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I still thought it was excellent, but it just wasn't what I expected. I really enjoyed the interviews with Prost though.

I think I will be bringing the film with me when I stay in my sisters this weekend, I know her husband would like to see it, and i'm sure I would sit through it again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

BDJW wrote: »
    This is definitely the film of the year for me.
    And it has already ranked in as one of my favourite films. I absolutely love this film. I saw it twice in the cinema, I even wanted to go a third time but the girlfriend wasn't having any of it :mad:
    It is a very very moving film. I have never seen a reaction from an audience in the cinema as I did the first night I saw it. When the credits were rolling, and the lights were on, there wasn't a word. Not one person had even started to stand up. The credits were finished before the first person stood up, and the silence from such a big crowd was eery.

I bought this on blu ray last week. I never buy new release blu rays as they are too expensive IMO, but this was one film I didn't mind spending the money on. I watched the extended version a few nights ago. I was a bit let down by it, I didn't realise it would be cutting to interviews the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I still thought it was excellent, but it just wasn't what I expected. I really enjoyed the interviews with Prost though.

I think I will be bringing the film with me when I stay in my sisters this weekend, I know her husband would like to see it, and i'm sure I would sit through it again ;)

That must have been amazing in a very sad way....it's not often, or ever in my case, that you see such a mass reaction of emotion in the cinema.

Thought it was superb too and not ashamed to admit I had a lump in my throat at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Brilliant and moving film about the greatest F1 driver. Will buy on BD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Interesting people noting the crowd reaction as the cinema I saw it in was the same, nobody moved during the credits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Caught this last night - very powerful stuff indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I saw this too the other evening, it came to mind after Dan Wheldon's tragic demise at the weekend. Excellent documentary, put together very well, it really reminded me of how great a sport F1 used to be back in the 80's and 90's. Alas, it has become a pale shadow of what it once was, the personalities just aren't there anymore.

Senna for all his arrogance and disdain for others, was one of the most talented and enigmatic sportsmen of all times, driven to succeed at all costs. It was very eerie to observe his mood on that final weekend, he could almost sense his own impending doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Senna is being shown again in Waterford city on Sat Oct 22 in the Bolton Street Carpark as part of the Imagine Arts Festival. It starts at 6.00pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement