Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit home network problem

Options
  • 08-06-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble getting gigabit speeds on my home network. I got a new gigabit network card, router and NAS drive but the transfer speeds between my PC and the NAS drive are only around 12MB/s (That's only 100Mbs right?)

Any suggestions as to what i should do? Windows displays the network card as operating at 1Gbs so i'm wondering what the craic is.

There would be other computers using the router that are only 100Mbs maybe it's doing some lowest common denominator stuff? I dunno though, I'm not really sure where i should start looking for problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

There would be other computers using the router that are only 100Mbs maybe it's doing some lowest common denominator stuff

i'm no expert but i think that is what happens .
    everything on the network must be Gigabit enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

John mac wrote: »
    i'm no expert but i think that is what happens .
    everything on the network must be Gigabit enabled.

Well, you were right with your first point at least. :)

OP - is your NAS 1Gb capable? Are you using good quality cabling that's not too long? Also, what type of files are you copying - larger files should copy faster than lots of small files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

The cabling is Cat 5e stuff that's about 25m long at most i'd say and yeah the NAS is 1Gb.

If it's the other PCs slowing it down then maybe i can get a cheapo 1Gb switch and connect my PC and NAS to it and then the switch to the router?

EDIT: I was copying movies, each one being about 1GB. (About 50 of them)

Check the router - make sure your PC and NAS are in fact connecting at 1Gb (either by a light indicating status, or on the admin page). Having other 10/100Mb devices connected should make no difference - unless they are doing bulk copies at the same time! :)

Well the network card on my PC has the 1000Mbps light on so I'm taking that as being a good sign. On the router end, I cant see any indication on the thing itself or on the settings page for what speeds its doing.

Little more info, the NAS drive has two 2TB 5400rpm hard drives in RAID 0. It wouldn't be the drives themselves being slow would it?

• Advertisement

Just in case this helps other people, I narrowed the problem down to the processor in the NAS drive itself. Seems like it can only handle about 30 MBs read and 15MBs write.

Suits me for what i want it for but I can see why the more expensive/powerful drives may be useful!

I have the same issue with my Western Digital TV media player. Sorry, should have thought of that - but never expected an actual NAS unit to have the same issue.

Thanks for the help though JD, I appreciate it.

Advertisement