Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Harness for a St Bernard

• 08-06-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone recommend me a dog harness for a St Bernard and where the best place to get one would be?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt walk a saint bernard in a harness. Dont think it would be suitable to walk such a big dog in a harness im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd say an extra large sensation harness would fit, but I'd check your dogs girth and chest measurements first to be sure. The sensation harness is comfy and the dog is less inclined to pull against the lead in one as they are front-attaching. They sell them in Dog Training Ireland's online shop and I've also seen them on ebay. The XL ones are genuinely VERY big! I think we might have one out at our sanctuary (second hand) that I could sell you, I'll have a look if you like.

There's also a big dog shop in the UK:

http://www.bigdogshop.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

How old is your St Bernard? We have two 7.5 month olds and are using the M/L1 sense-ible front harness which we got at DTI - we should be moving onto the L in about a months time.

But they are doing so well with their lose lead training we hope to be able to stop using them going forward..

If they are pulling alot perhaps training might be a better option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Thanks. He'll be 2 in August. He's my mother-inlaw's dog and he tends to pull a lot! He gets excited when going walking and I think needs a harness to give greater control. He has no sense at all!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would get an easy walk harness by trixie...they do the same job as the sensible harness but half the price.....example...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Walk-Professional-No-Pull-Harness/dp/B002YTRKIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I use the dogmatic head harness on my lab. Find it brillant for walking.

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If the dog is a serious puller (and I can imagine at that size, he is!) a head harness is a really good idea (like a Halti or Dogmatic). It takes a while for them to get used to it but once they do they are fantastic! Online is the best place to find them, and prob the cheapest too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If the dog is a serious puller (and I can imagine at that size, he is!) a head harness is a really good idea (like a Halti or Dogmatic). It takes a while for them to get used to it but once they do they are fantastic! Online is the best place to find them, and prob the cheapest too!

My dog was a serious puller until I trained him not to pull. I still use a front attach harness just because he's used to it at this stage and it works better for when he's having a sniff or if I need to grab him :p. Friends of ours have tried every harness known to man at this stage - halti, sensible, dogmatic, one with that attaches to both sides of him, one that tightens around his legs as he pulls, soft mesh one, a normal harness etc etc etc. When they complained recently how the latest one was working and I suggested maybe training him not to pull I was met with :rolleyes: "Oh we don't have the time".

Thanks. He'll be 2 in August. He's my mother-inlaw's dog and he tends to pull a lot! He gets excited when going walking and I think needs a harness to give greater control. He has no sense at all!:o

Sorry, but a harness only encourages a dog to pull so this will not help.

I would suggest the dogmatic headcollar as they are very good for dogs that pull and i use them on my rottie and my friend has a st bernard too and uses it on him with great results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Front attach harness don't encourage pulling - if the dog pulls they basically pull themselves back towards you so the soon learn there's no point.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Front attach harness don't encourage pulling - if the dog pulls they basically pull themselves back towards you so the soon learn there's no point.

Yeah i know those ones, but they are designed specifically for dogs that pull, but the normal harnesses you can get do.

Advertisement