Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

signal but no internet from long cat5e

Options
  • 08-06-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just ran a cat5e cable from my parents house to mine for some temporary interent access. The cable is no more than 80 metres long and terminated at both ends with 568B wiring standard.

I checked the cable using a network cable signal tester and all 8 wires show a good signal. But when I plug the cable into my laptop and the router at my parents house theres still no access to it or the internet. Ive tested the laptops port in the parents house with a working connection to router and Ive tested that port on the router.

Both are working fine so Im not sure what the problem is unless it is distance but it is within the max cable length and the signal tester can get a signal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The router signal may not be powerful enough to carry the 80m. You could try a different router. If you have a switch/hub, put it between the cable and the router, its power might be sufficient to carry the 80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I thought it was a bad idea to run any cabling between two different properties without having proper protection against electrical faults at each end. Was a thread about it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Got it sorted, feel like a dope now. Had the workplaces static address assigned to the network port so thats why it would nt work in my place. It worked in the folks house because it connecting to the wifi. Took out the static address and all is well. Not before I cut the line in two to test it though : (

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

JDxtra wrote: »
    I thought it was a bad idea to run any cabling between two different properties without having proper protection against electrical faults at each end. Was a thread about it a while back.

Yup, meant to be bad connecting two buildings which have different electrical systems together. Planning to use fiber between houses when I upgrade the current wireless solution between my parents/bothers (and soon mine!) houses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

you shouldn't be too bad if it's unscreened cable - the screen is generally earthed, and causes all sorts of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup, meant to be bad connecting two buildings which have different electrical systems together. Planning to use fiber between houses when I upgrade the current wireless solution between my parents/bothers (and soon mine!) houses

Did some searching and was trying to remember what I was told before about not using any type of power carrying cable between two builds which would have a different electrical feeds & grounds and found this
    However, it's a bad idea from a safety viewpoint as the two buildings very
    likely have different electrical grounds and so there may be a significant
    potential difference between them which may damage equipment and/or injure
    staff.

While it might work just fine but is there is any risk no matter how low that it could damage equipment or people - I just wouldn't take a chance.

As in the same post it was mentioned that
    There are other alternatives. Doing it _right_ you'd run fiber between the
    buildings. Doing it _cheap_ if there's clear line of sight, you could use
    two wireless access points with high-gain directional antennas.

Remember, its only 80 meters - a wireless AP at the window of one house would easily reach another AP (bridging anyone?) in the window of the other house once there is line of sight.

Advertisement