Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between story and short story ?

• 08-06-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I wrote a short story for question (3) " ... the waiting had been magical .. " today ... Whats the difference between story and short story or is there any ? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Short stories are more descriptive. You show, don't tell.
    Its hard to get a short story right if you've never done one before. You need to get the mix between dialogue, characters, events and descriptions just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

I wrote a 5 & 1/2 page short story ... The question in the test asked for a " story ". So just wondering would there be any noticable difference between both which might result in my essay being marked down for not writing the correct type of story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A short story is a story which is short. There's no difference except in length and scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

For the purposes of the LC HL paper, there is no difference. Stop stressing and study for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i am sorry but there is a huge difference.

a short story needs to have max 1 or 2 charachters, a plot, a hardship, a climax and a resolution. its very hard to do a good one in the time limit.

this exact same situation happened to me in the JC it said write a story so i did. little did i know they meant short story, and unfortunetly i hadnt used any of the things ive just mentioned because i thought i didnt need to. alas i was marked heavily down and dropped down to a c grade

i hope for your sake i am wrong or that my situation doesnt happen to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

GV_NRG wrote: »
    i am sorry but there is a huge difference.

a short story needs to have max 1 or 2 charachters, a plot, a hardship, a climax and a resolution. its very hard to do a good one in the time limit.

this exact same situation happened to me in the JC it said write a story so i did. little did i know they meant short story, and unfortunetly i hadnt used any of the things ive just mentioned because i thought i didnt need to. alas i was marked heavily down and dropped down to a c grade

Sorry, but that's rubbish. As an examiner, I can tell you that there is no difference. Obviously any story needs to have characters and a plot; that's common sense. Short stories/stories tend to be marked very hard, but NOT because of the pedantic definition of 'short story'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

deemark wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's rubbish. As an examiner, I can tell you that there is no difference. Obviously any story needs to have characters and a plot; that's common sense. Short stories/stories tend to be marked very hard, but NOT because of the pedantic definition of 'short story'.

Cheers for clearing that up buddy! Ye had me very worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

deemark wrote: »
    For the purposes of the LC HL paper, there is no difference. Stop stressing and study for tomorrow.
    This.

Asked and answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement