Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting dog into a new kennel

• 08-06-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Everyone
    I have recently bought a Kennel for my 2 yr old labrador X retriever but i cannot get her to go into it. She would rather sleep on the doorstep in the rain.
    I have taken the door off it and even tryed her with the roof off it Iv have put het food into it but she is as stubborn as a mule.

Any suggestions would be grreatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ah, she wants her own bed in her own house. Why is she getting a new kennell?

Maybe try putting her old bed intot he kennell, she'll might go in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

We have moved in with wifes parents and she is "too big for the house"
    I have her old bed in it too but its not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Has she been an indoor dog? If so its gonna be difficult to change, not impossible but difficult. Would the folks in law be willing to compromise and let her sleep indoors but in a crate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It'll take some time if she's not used to it, would it be possible to have her inside at night just because she's used to it or maybe in your room at night.
    She might take a while to get used to it, don't force her in just make the kennel really cosy (vet bed is brilliant few dogs can resist it's comfort) put some treats maybe a chewy treat and toys in it and she might go in in her own time.

Maybe sit in it yourself and spend some cuddle time in there with her, so she feels it's a cosy safe place to be.

Labs are tough enough dogs though so she shouldn't feel cold or anything she's just a bit confused as to why things have changed. Maybe give her some extra walks and even a few training classes if that helps settle her when she is in the house then maybe they might be more accepting of her in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It'll take some time if she's not used to it, would it be possible to have her inside at night just because she's used to it or maybe in your room at night.
    She might take a while to get used to it, don't force her in just make the kennel really cosy (vet bed is brilliant few dogs can resist it's comfort) put some treats maybe a chewy treat and toys in it and she might go in in her own time.

Maybe sit in it yourself and spend some cuddle time in there with her, so she feels it's a cosy safe place to be.

Labs are tough enough dogs though so she shouldn't feel cold or anything she's just a bit confused as to why things have changed. Maybe give her some extra walks and even a few training classes if that helps settle her when she is in the house then maybe they might be more accepting of her in the house.

perfect:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

First of all, I don't mean to sound patronising or condescending, but well done for not just getting rid of your dog when your circumstances changed. Unfortunately so many dogs are ending up in pounds and shelters in situations like yours.

Obviously its not ideal, if she's used to living inside, that she's now having to adapt like this, but I think Sigma Force has given excellent advice.

Maybe feed her in the kennel as well, so that she thinks of it as a safe, happy place.

I'm sorry, I'm really tired at the moment, so I can't give you the links, but if you search for crate training, there will be loads of great tips on ways to get dogs used to crates, which will be the same or very similar to using a kennel.

Best of luck.

Advertisement