Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x800xl upgrade - fanless or silent

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I upgraded my pc some 6 months ago and at the time I didnt have enough in my budget for a new gfx card.

I'd like to upgrade it now to something a bit better thats either fanless or practically silent. I'm way out of touch as you might have guessed by me still using a x800xl :eek:

What are your suggestions? What do I look for spec wise these days?

Current spec is:
    Win7 Enterprise 64bit
    Athlon II X3 440
    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, AM3, ATX
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666
    64GB Crucial RealSSD C300
    2TB Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen SATA 3Gb/s
    Optiarc SATA DVD drive
    SB XFI Elite Pro PCI card
    Antec Solo case
    Samsung 22" monitor 1680*1050 resolution

I'm not so much interested in gaming any more, I'd be more inclined to run this to a tv/projector for watching movies, I might do the odd bit of 2D autocad and some Revit 3D modeling - both very infrequently and both are fine now as is, any speed increase is a bonus for revit. Budget is as low as possible, I'd say below 100euro if at all possible for a fanless card. I had a quick scan of a few reviews and the 2 cards that caught my eye were the ati 6670 which runs a fan and the 5570. The 5570 being mch cheaper and I couldnt find a 6670 without a fan. I'm totally out of touch and no idea to what nvidia has to offer, this looked interesting but probably not a very powerfull card GT 430?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The GT 430 isn't very powerful, but miles more than enough for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is it a better card than the x800xl is?

Also, I'm not sure but if revit uses the GPU for rendering then something that will do this quicker would be a bonus.

EDIT:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x4
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3 x PCI

jozi wrote: »
    Is it a better card than the x800xl is?

F**k yes.
    jozi wrote: »
    Also, I'm not sure but if revit uses the GPU for rendering then something that will do this quicker would be a bonus.

Don't know, I've never used Revit. Something to consider though: the X800 XL is a PCI card. Do you have a PCI Express slot in your motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

x800xl is pci express, think there's 2 slots on the mobo that are pci express, or maybe 2 pci I can't remember.

It's probably a case of anything is better than my old x800xl :P

I'll put that down to misleading information on the internet so.

And yeah, pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

heres a fancy chart
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430/28.html

there's actually a fanless (passive) GTS 450 for just over 100 euros somewhere, knocks the socks off the 430

I know its primarily not for gaming, but so nice to have the option, and the 450 would run modern games nice and smooth

Advertisement