Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I've painted my nails three times today and each time I took the polish off cos I either wasn't feeling or just didn't like it *sigh*

Want to pain them again, not sure what colour tho. I've tried pink/navy/blue and can't remember the other colour :o

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Got the essence glow in the dark top coat. Cant wait to see how that comes out!

Disappointing it actually only glows under uv light :( it shouldnt be called glow in the dark that's a little misleading :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I've painted my nails three times today and each time I took the polish off cos I either wasn't feeling or just didn't like it *sigh*

Want to pain them again, not sure what colour tho. I've tried pink/navy/blue and can't remember the other colour :o

I have done that sooo many times :P

Will be visiting the bf in Dublin for a while starting next week, cannot wait to get to that essence stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

China Glaze Optical Illusion - lovely green glitter, makes me think of a mermaid :)

Not looking forward to removal :(

(Flash and no Flash)
    Capture.JPG

• Advertisement

I eventually settled on Barrym navy. :)

I'll link the pic as it is too big to post.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EyjkxYtv3Yw/S7pRt8WBb2I/AAAAAAAADK8/x1kulBuZKVM/s1600/Nails+001.JPG

Not my photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Currently wearing max factor's fantasy fire. I love it but it took four coats for good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I eventually settled on Barrym navy. :)

I was considering putting that on last night but I went for Nails Inc St James instead. It's a pillarbox red with a very subtle shimmer. So subtle I can't actually see it on my nails.

st-james-polish.jpg

Pic from nailsinc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

Ginormous Essence stand in Penneys on Mary St (Dublin). So much stuff there I've only seen on Essence stands abroad before!

The essence stand in penneys in Wilton, Cork is that size too. Don't know about the one in the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

double post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

phasers wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

There's so...much...stuff...Are the first two rows entirely full of nail stuff!? :D

Does anyone know if they still have the special effects toppers by any chance?

Top row, far right. All the special effects toppers :) First two rows are all nail stuff with more nail stuff dotted around the rest of the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Woohoo! Thanks MissFlitworth. I'll be into town tomorrow so :D

Anyone got any tips on how to cut nails? Whether I use scissors or clippers they always split!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Orlee wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on how to cut nails? Whether I use scissors or clippers they always split!

File them. I know it takes longer but they won't split. I have the same problem!

Todays nails are doggy nails. The colour I'm just loving is Catrice Caught On The Red Carpet. I had originally wanted to stamp the paw prints so Ibought an essence stamping plate and it was just rubbish. The image would not pick up even though I tried both Konad and other polishes to stamp. The nose is done with Ciate Caviar Manicure just for something a little different :D

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/221708.jpg

musical.x wrote: »
    File them. I know it takes longer but they won't split. I have the same problem!

I know I should but it takes forever! Gotta work on my patience ... picking off yesterdays manicure now - glitter will be the death of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Orlee make sure you are using a decent file as well, My nails were in the worst shape for ages. I couldn't understand how they were so bad, I use a nail treatment as a base coat and a decent quality varnish remover. When my sister who is a nail tech looked at them she said the file i was using was literally dragging the layers of my nails apart. She gave me a NSI file and i havent had one split since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Base coat from Essence, €2.29 or so.

essence-studio-nails-24-7-nail-base.jpg

How are you finding it Twee? I liked it at first but I noticed that if my nail polish chips, it kind of peels off when I have that base coat on!

Can anyone recommend a good base coat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LizT wrote: »
    How are you finding it Twee? I liked it at first but I noticed that if my nail polish chips, it kind of peels off when I have that base coat on!

I'm going to put it on tonight, I'll let you know! The reason I bought I was just using top coat as base coat and my colour kept peeling :pac: So I may not have solved my problem!

So eh, yeah, +1 for base coat recommendations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

That Essence base coat is my fave ever!! I have a small bottle of Orly Bonder, and they seem to be pretty much the exact same (i.e. puts a rubberised finish on your nail). I never had that problem with mine though LizT.

Seren_ wrote: »
    That Essence base coat is my fave ever!! I have a small bottle of Orly Bonder, and they seem to be pretty much the exact same (i.e. puts a rubberised finish on your nail). I never had that problem with mine though LizT.

Mine is a few months old at this point, maybe it's just past its best! I'll repurchase it and give it another shot, not like it will break the bank :P

Twee. wrote: »
    Base coat from Essence, €2.29 or so.
    LizT wrote: »

I like it but because it puts a matte coat on your nails sometimes you get little white lumps which can be annoying :(

I'm picking up the better than gel nails topcoat and I believe they have a basecoat too so I'm going to try that when this one runs out :)

musical.x wrote: »
    I like it but because it puts a matte coat on your nails sometimes you get little white lumps which can be annoying :(

I'm picking up the better than gel nails topcoat and I believe they have a basecoat too so I'm going to try that when this one runs out :)

I get those little lumps a lot too, I presumed it was just because mine is a bit old now.

Base and top coat issues are the reason i turned fully to gel nails! My nail polish never ever chips so manicures last until i take them off basically. So worth it because i've always wrn nail polish, i dont like naked nails and this way if i put effort into doing a fancy design i know it'll last!

Base and top coat issues are the reason i turned fully to gel nails! My nail polish never ever chips so manicures last until i take them off basically. So worth it because i've always wrn nail polish, i dont like naked nails and this way if i put effort into doing a fancy design i know it'll last!

I prefer using the normal method. I have heard a lot of bad things about gel nails so I'd sooner stick to something I know. They are like seche vite, great qualities but some dodgy stuff going on underneath :P

I trained as a nail tech and the products i use you can view the medical research docs and view all the ingredients. We did extensive studying and modules on it. I mean yes we were told to never use products that are sold cheap from china because whats in them may not be good but i think once you actually do your own research on something you can be sure you're makimg an informed decision because there's so much scare mongering out there when it comes to using anything in and on our bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

OPI Rainbow Connection over Barry M Cyan. Looks a lot darker than it is because we have been plunged into the armpit of winter without going through Autumn first and I need an SAD light for my office. However it twinkles delightfully as I type

opi_rainbow_barry_m_cyan_zps917a0001.jpg

• Advertisement

I am getting fed up of painting my nails now.

Had loads of chips my purple barrym so had to go over them, grand, until half of the smudged (I thought they were dry, seems they weren't fully dry).

So took that off, put on a red colour, grand, until I got smudges and chips after doing the laundry. So took that off in a fit of frustration.

Now I have a pink polish on and have resigned from doing house work for the rest of today as I am in no humour to re-paint my nails for a fourth time.

It's days like today that I wish I had gel nails, even though I had gel nails before and they left my own nails in such bad condition after they peeled off that I'd never get them again.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good base and top coat please? It seems all my top coats are almost gone and half of them are gone thick and gloopy now the bottles are 3/4 empty.

I'm using Sally Hansen hard as nails as a base and top coat, but that's almost gone too, so I need something else.

Cheaper the better, as long as it works.

Advertisement