Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It was 3 for 2 in Claire's on nail polish yesterday so I treated myself to 2 leather look polishes in black and maroon as well as a plain pinky/corally polish. It was €9.90 for the three. I also got Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top coat for €6.25 in Boots.

I'm wearing the Maroon leather look atm with no top coat. I don't think that I would consider it to be particularly leather like but I do like the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

LizT wrote: »
    Also, my sis bought me a Butter London set for my birthday which includes their Nail Foundations Flawless Basecoat, Hardwear top coat and powder room nail polish remover.

I am so in love with the basecoat, it's so velvety and smooth and definitely seems to prevent staining. Haven't used the topcoat yet. The nail polish remover is brilliant! I've only used it on colours, not glitter but I love the scent and it doesn't seem to be as drying as other removers I've used.

I have that set too, it's fab! The basecoat is great, really helps the polish adhere and the topcoat is so glossy and dries so quickly. They're a great duo. Love the remover too but unfortunately I've already used it all up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Valentina wrote: »
    I have that set too, it's fab! The basecoat is great, really helps the polish adhere and the topcoat is so glossy and dries so quickly. They're a great duo. Love the remover too but unfortunately I've already used it all up!

Yep, used the topcoat last night and I love it! Probably wouldn't have bought it for myself because it's so expensive but now I think it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Must get that essence glow in the dark posted, so cool :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

hdowney wrote: »
    So I had two exams in Dublin on Thursday, just down the road from Penny's on Abbey/Grafton St! WEEEEEL I bought:

I must get myself down to that Penneys, mine doesn't have half of that stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Gah just copped I said Grafton street! So slow! Meant O'Connell street! Painting my nails shortly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Miss Sporty - Pop Fiction with a coat of Angelica Dragonfly on the ring finger

lZz31oX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Hey guys, does anyone have a place to recommend where I can get a manicure in Dublin city? Thanks!

Hey guys, does anyone have a place to recommend where I can get a manicure in Dublin city? Thanks!

Hair Spa in Smithfield. The manicurist is only there on a Thursday but she is brilliant and prices very reasonable.

Nail Chic on Parnell St is meant to be good too. I've never been but a friend of mine goes there often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

http://tropicalpopical.com/ This place is getting good from people - havn't been there yet myself but friends say its great. More along the "american" style of manicure - walk ins and polish change for €7!

It's on South William Street ... I'm so close by but just never seem to get a chance to drop in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Orlee wrote: »
    http://tropicalpopical.com/ This place is getting good from people - havn't been there yet myself but friends say its great. More along the "american" style of manicure - walk ins and polish change for €7!

It's on South William Street ... I'm so close by but just never seem to get a chance to drop in!

+1 for Tropical Popical.

I used to go to Fifth Avenue on Wicklow St. and loved the place. But I got my phone stolen there so I don't go any more. :( To be honest, it wasn't their fault and their manicures are very good. The only reason I cannot (or don't want to) go there any more is bad memories so it's still recommended.

5th Avenue is always so crowded. I find Tropical Popical more peaceful if that's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Ladies, any recommendations for nail places in Portlaoise and Carlow?? There are a few in both towns but can be so hit and miss I won't go anywhere without a solid recommendation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Must get that essence glow in the dark posted, so cool :D:D

Just a note on that polish - it doesn't glow in the dark, it only glows under UV light, in a Niteclub or wherever. Gutted when I bought it, my Niteclub days are long over :(

I got Butter LONDON Horse Power Nail Fertilizer the other day, I've bought so many crap treatments that haven't worked, and this one was Formaldehyde-free and cheaper than OPI Nail Envy. Here's hoping it works!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I go to Fifth Avenue, find them very good value. I've seen two manicures out of Tropical Popical and didn't think they looked great. I guess I'll have to give it a go myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Trying to get back into nail art. This jigsaw puzzle design is fairly easy to do .

Barry+M+Freehand+Jigsaw+puzzle+nail+art+pens+(8).JPG

^^^^^^

Loving that design! Not sure what to paint my nails today, I've just had blue on them and I always wear purples, reds and green so not sure what mood I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I love this neon yellow, it's like the yellow from Neapolitan ice-cream!

From Indie maker Ruby White Tips etsy store
    (link is from my own blog)

20130507_203633_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

The sun came out for a bit so I decided to sit in the garden and try some pastel shades. Rimmel Pop your Pink and Essence Absolutly Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Orlee wrote: »

went in yesterday to change my arm at an appointment but they didn't have anything available. The girl wasn't particularly pleasat and the atmosphere wasn't great ... dont know if it would entice me to come back ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Heads up to everyone, the NYC nail varnishes are pricing between 1.49 - 1.99 euro in Doc Morris'. I'm not sure if that's all stores, though. Of course, that's if you like them ones, I thought the price of them were good. :P

Got myself 'Rock Muse, Smoky Top Coat', a black one. Gonna try it out later and post a picture. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Got myself 'Rock Muse, Smoky Top Coat', a black one. Gonna try it out later and post a picture. :D

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out - got it ages ago myself but haven't used it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I've been wanting to contribute to here for ages as I am a bit of a polish hoarder!

Here is an Essence Colour & Go I picked up recently. It's number 26 'Break Through' and its two coats!

I love it. :D

photo6eg.jpg

936892_559132174109408_1799116875_n.png

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Completely forgot this thread is here. Yay others with the same love of nail varnish :)

I bought the Superdrug cuticle oil with hoof. It feels lovely.

http://www.superdrug.com/superdrug-moisture-cuticle-oil/invt/217150&bklist=

I was all set to buy a few of the new Sally Hansen pastel all in one nail varnishes thinking that as they are pricer they'll last longer, but SH isn't getting a good review on here.

I've bought Essie before and loved them but am wondering if it's mad to pay more for nail varnish.

Come to think of it the Catrice range from Penneys always seems to last.

Do the Barry M varnishes last long without chipping? Loving some of the colours on here.

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I've bought Essie before and loved them but am wondering if it's mad to pay more for nail varnish.

Come to think of it the Catrice range from Penneys always seems to last.

Do the Barry M varnishes last long without chipping? Loving some of the colours on here.

Personally I don't think Essie is worth the price. I have a good few of their polishes and find the quality consistently mediocre. The pastel-y colours are particularly bad - drying streaky and uneven.

I think the Essence range in Penneys is great. On trend colours as well as the classics all for around €2! They often have very good quality dupes of higher end fashionable colours and their Limited Edition collections are really great. I've a couple of Catrice polishes too but I always seem to go back to Essence for a quick fix!! :pac:

Barry M is equally good IMO but dearer than Essence. Pink Flamingo is my go to colour for summer (I'm wearing it now) :) Loads of great colours, glitters, metallics, nail effects etc etc so you're spoiled for choice.

The only high end polish I would buy often is Butter London. I think the quality is excellent but the prices are ridiculous so I'd only buy it on sale or 3 for 2 offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Get out of my head Valentina... I completely agree with everything you've just said :D

LizT wrote: »
    Get out of my head Valentina...

NEVER! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Valentina wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Essie is worth the price. I have a good few of their polishes and find the quality consistently mediocre. The pastel-y colours are particularly bad - drying streaky and uneven.

Totally agree - and the brushes are rubbish as well.

I've stopped buying Catrice polishes because I found that after a very short time the lid became unstuck from the brush (so every time you opened the bottle the brush would still be in there) and they seemed to seperate and go gunky on me very quickly. I love China Glaze (which I pick up in Sallys or on ebay) and the odd heavily discounted bottle of OPI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Totally agree - and the brushes are rubbish as well.

I've stopped buying Catrice polishes because I found that after a very short time the lid became unstuck from the brush (so every time you opened the bottle the brush would still be in there) and they seemed to seperate and go gunky on me very quickly. I love China Glaze (which I pick up in Sallys or on ebay) and the odd heavily discounted bottle of OPI

I've never found that with Catrice personally.. Loving Barry M at the moment though and have just gotten all their gelly polishes now. Just DYING for these to be released in June :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU8GNNAAXsujQQXAj31Or3TrAr6E6cgoEkX8jVCn60V3SAHw7cVg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've never found that with Catrice personally

It's an odd one, haven't come across anyone else giving out about it happening! I just have a box of them that annoy the living hell out of me. Has been very good for my wallet though as was starting to get a bit scary every time I walked into Penneys. Love the look of that Turquoise Barry M!

Advertisement