Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Ah girls, I'm an awful eejit, tried water marbling for the first time today.... and forgot to tape my fingers off!!!! The stuff was everywhere!!!! Here's a pic after AN HOUR of cleaning varnish off with everything from cotton buds to nail remover pens. Still not 100% cleaned off but hoping that if I keep up the topcoat over the next couple of days, it might wear off the skin round my fingers. Such a daft mistake!!! Was so excited to get started...:o Anyway:

Some of my nails look really dark and glam, others look psychedelic!!! That big blob of green on my thumb was when the yellow ran into the blue :) Still, really happy with it and will remember to tape off the next time!!!!
    which polishs did you use? they look great!! your nails are so nice :eek:

Eviledna wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm so clumsy and impatient to boot, so it's the super fast drying that I'm after it for. Sounds good too, it's funny boots galway don't seem to stock it at all.

Major downside is that it contains toluene, known as toxic and even as carcinogen!:eek:

Hmmm...anyone else know of alternative products that dry nails as fast?
    not a product but you put your nails in really cold (not freezing) water :) just dont try to dry them with a towel straight after :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

musical.x wrote: »
    which polishs did you use? they look great!! your nails are so nice :eek:

God thanks!! I used China Glaze Calypso Blue as a base coat, then for the marbling I used White (Essence White Hype), Yellow (Essence Sundancer), Pink (Missguided Misschevious), Blue (Barry M Blueberry Ice Cream), Lilac (Essence The One and Only). I didn't use any green, that was the result of the blue & yellow running into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Sugarbomb wrote: »

Personally I don't see how painting a layer of Seche Vitre onto nearly dry nails would make them dry faster. Would't it just smudge the polish??

Nope, doesn't smudge it at all! I'm sure you could wait till your polish dries, but the SV website and many experts recommend applying it to slightly wet polish.
    I'm not entirely sure how it works, all I know is it does work which is all I really care about.
    It also really smooths out glitter polishes, which can sometimes feel gritty under other topcoats. Therefore it gets a +1 from me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Hey ladies, long time reader of the nail polish thread but first time yadda yadda yadda... :D

Just wanted to say that I love love love this forum. After 25 years of biting them (I know, I know! :o) I'm finally sporting long nails. If ever there was an incentive to not chew them then these amazing pics are it.

And the best thing is that I now get to go out and buy nail polish!

• Advertisement

Hey ladies, long time reader of the nail polish thread but first time yadda yadda yadda... :D

Just wanted to say that I love love love this forum. After 25 years of biting them (I know, I know! :o) I'm finally sporting long nails. If ever there was an incentive to not chew them then these amazing pics are it.

And the best thing is that I now get to go out and buy nail polish!
    cant wait to see pictures! :) when ever i feel the urge to get the nail clippers out i always log on :p wait until you get a really nice polish!! then you'll never bite again...well....maybe just a trim...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQieRk8SxeqQCWOcNxDqcKhhrc2CINNTlpvcjCWkuG5SXp4n_TM
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Audrey_L

cant wait to see pictures! :) when ever i feel the urge to get the nail clippers out i always log on :p wait until you get a really nice polish!! then you'll never bite again...well....maybe just a trim...

:D

Ohhh my don't think i'll be growing my nails quite that long, though all the nail art you could fit....

Audrey_L wrote: »
    Ohhh my don't think i'll be growing my nails quite that long, though all the nail art you could fit....
    if you get enough people you could open an art gallery with it! you wouldnt need have as much paint compaired to normal pictures :p although chipping would be a major problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

Ah girls, I'm an awful eejit, tried water marbling for the first time today.... and forgot to tape my fingers off!!!! The stuff was everywhere!!!! Here's a pic after AN HOUR of cleaning varnish off with everything from cotton buds to nail remover pens. Still not 100% cleaned off but hoping that if I keep up the topcoat over the next couple of days, it might wear off the skin round my fingers. Such a daft mistake!!! Was so excited to get started...:o Anyway:

Some of my nails look really dark and glam, others look psychedelic!!! That big blob of green on my thumb was when the yellow ran into the blue :) Still, really happy with it and will remember to tape off the next time!!!!

Love Love Love this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm defo going to try the marble effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Long nails pic

Sweet Mother of God............. the STATE of her mascara. :D

• Does anyone still do French manicures? I'm not a big nail person but apparently they have been 'out' for ages......I really like that look, though, it makes your nails look clean and simple and goes with everything. Would it look really stupid if I got one done (for a wedding), or does anyone know of any good subtle nail colours? I normally go for bright Barry M or Rimmel colours when I do paint my nails but want something less obvious......help!

Does anyone still do French manicures? I'm not a big nail person but apparently they have been 'out' for ages......I really like that look, though, it makes your nails look clean and simple and goes with everything. Would it look really stupid if I got one done (for a wedding), or does anyone know of any good subtle nail colours? I normally go for bright Barry M or Rimmel colours when I do paint my nails but want something less obvious......help!
    oh defo do them if you like them! their your nails at the end of the day. who cares if people think they are "out"
    i tried them on my nails but they just dont suit me. it made my hands look dirty :rolleyes:
    i think french manicures are elegant if you paint them on. some of the stick on nails with french manicures can look really tacky. i think they put too much white tip . but thats just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm defo going to try the marble effect.

Me too! So excited to see how it turns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Does anyone still do French manicures? I'm not a big nail person but apparently they have been 'out' for ages......I really like that look, though, it makes your nails look clean and simple and goes with everything. Would it look really stupid if I got one done (for a wedding), or does anyone know of any good subtle nail colours? I normally go for bright Barry M or Rimmel colours when I do paint my nails but want something less obvious......help!
    My sister works in a nail salon and 90% of her work is french manicures! They're so classic they'll never go out of style :)

If you decide to go for a more subtle colour Barry M do a gorgeous baby pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

I agree with musical. I think french manicures look so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

269658_10150326229031321_624451320_9801903_884963_n.jpg
    Catrice - Forget-Me-Not! with Quick Dry and High Shine top coat.
    Looks nicer in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

French manicures are a classic look, they will always be in! Depending on your own skin tone you can go for a pinky shade or a more beige-y one to make it look more natural.

If you decide not to get a FM, Essie do some gorgeous pale pinks for their wedding collections and someone else mentioned Barry M. Their strawberry ice cream colour is very pretty and subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

MAC Wonder Woman - Spirit Of Truth

MAC+Wonder+Woman+Spirit+Of+Truth+1.jpg

MAC+Wonder+Woman+Spirit+Of+Truth+2.jpg

MAC+Wonder+Woman+Spirit+Of+Truth+3.jpg

Essie - Sexy Divide

Essie+Sexy+Divide+2.jpg

Essie+Sexy+Divide+3.jpg

Essie+Sexy+Divide+1.jpg

Essie - Coat Azure

Essie+Coat+Azure+1.jpg

Essie+Coat+Azure+3.jpg

Essie+Coat+Azure+2.jpg

Essie+Coat+Azure+and+Sexy+Divide.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Thought I'd let my fellow nail lovers know that the Brandalley website have an OPI sale starting tomorrow. I know it should be posted in the discounts section but thought I'd post it here too. Happy shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

MAC Wonder Woman - Spirit Of Truth

What's the MAC polish like? Does it apply well? Love the colour! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've had nothing but trouble from MAC polishes, watery, not consistent, patchy and take an age to dry. Not worth 12 euro a bottle if you ask me, very much paying for the brand name on the bottle and not the contents, you're better off spending your money on OPI or Butter London polishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Purple_Bobbin, those two Essie polishes are lovely!

I'm wearing this today - Essence Multi Dimension 75 Tryin' To Be Cool

5955305039_3fab409a26.jpg

Excuse the (very) messy application :o the colour is also a little darker IRL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I love it, applied easily, dried within five minutes.

Been wearing it since last night, done cooking, tidying up, leg waxing and it's held up.

I got some wax stuck to a nail earlier, pulled the wax off and the varnish didn't budge at all.

I paid £10 on the official MAC UK website (my dad ordered it for me) as far as I am aware the Wonder Woman collection is limited edition and is no longer available in Ireland, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Catrice - Hip Queens Wear Blue Jeans
    Lovely navy blue with a hint of shimmer in certain light. 1/2 Price in McCabes Dundrum :)

Hip%252520Queens%252520Wear%252520Blue%252520Jeans.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Orlee wrote: »
    Catrice - Hip Queens Wear Blue Jeans
    Lovely navy blue with a hint of shimmer in certain light. 1/2 Price in McCabes Dundrum :)

Beautiful! Looks like amazing application too, I can never get it that smooth and glossy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I get Shellac in French and think it looks good... If you want a subtle colour, you could also go for a nude like Essie Topless and Barefoot, example here:

Essie-Topless-and-Barefoot.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Just a reminder not to quote pics, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Half price Catrice!?

To Dundrum!

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote: »
    I get Shellac in French and think it looks good... If you want a subtle colour, you could also go for a nude like Essie Topless and Barefoot, example here:
    oh my god i love that!! but its way too dear for me :( are there any dupes of it around?

Advertisement