Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I LOVE this thread.

My favourite ever nail polish is Marie Lluy - goes on like water, totally opaque in one application, dries like hard plastic, looks amazing, never chips. I bought 4 bottles of it 5 years ago for 2 euro a bottle in a hotel gift shop in Lanzarote and they still apply beautifully!!! I cant find it anywhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

I noticed pennys seem to be selling a shatter effect polish similar (it seems) to the OPI Katy Perry ones, has anyone tried them?

All varnish from boots no7 is good expecially pillarbox red, blackberry and their hot pink. Right now i'm wearing their orangy "tea" one but me no likie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

I noticed pennys seem to be selling a shatter effect polish similar (it seems) to the OPI Katy Perry ones, has anyone tried them?

All varnish from boots no7 is good expecially pillarbox red, blackberry and their hot pink. Right now i'm wearing their orangy "tea" one but me no likie!
    yeh loads of places are imitating them now. new look have two or three different shatter colours too.

i've never had any luck with boots no7. they all seem to chip so easily even with a top coat. i only ever bother getting them if i have the boots €7.50 off voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

musical.x wrote: »
    i only ever bother getting them if i have the boots €7.50 off voucher.

That's how I got started-using those vouchers- and being a product fiend I now almost have them all. I use base, two layers of the "stay perfect" variety and then the no7 quick dry top coat. Two days now...one lil chip. Thou that's all I ever get from any of them. I have heard of OPI lasting up to a week chip free but for me it's only ever 2 days !

That's how I got started-using those vouchers- and being a product fiend I now almost have them all. I use base, two layers of the "stay perfect" variety and then the no7 quick dry top coat. Two days now...one lil chip. Thou that's all I ever get from any of them. I have heard of OPI lasting up to a week chip free but for me it's only ever 2 days !
    i find (most of the time anyway) that the cheaper polishes last longer than the dear ones! i've never tried opi. not because i dont like them but its just alot of money for one polish when there are so many perfect dupes that are cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Audrey_L

hey guys going to castlebar, mayo tomorrow and wondering does anyone know of any great places for nail polish there?

Was in Claremorris today and was very impressed! One pharmacy had a brand I had never seen, another had OPI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Ladies, best top coat polish? I must have weird nails or something but I can't find a polish to live up to its claim... :rolleyes:

Ladies, best top coat polish? I must have weird nails or something but I can't find a polish to live up to its claim... :rolleyes:
    i use any kind tbh! i like the stargazer one. works well for me. polish lasts for at least a week with it :)
    the no7 is ok. wasnt great for me but everyone is different

I swear I must have an aversion to them or something. I've tried Rimmell, Barry M and Sally H but never find them to be as strong and hard as when I get my nails done in the beautitians. I even asked what they were using and she said that they use whatever they get when the run to the chemist to pick up some colours, no special brand of polish.

It's annoying me cos I end up with imprints on my nails when I'm rooting around in my bag.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Bought myself a few polishes on Asos with a voucher I won. They are yet to arrive but these are the colours:

Essie Topless and Barefoot, I love nudes!:
    Essie-Topless-and-Barefoot.jpg

Essie Kisses and Bises (it's basicaly clear, shown in pic layered over Topless and Barefoot, gives a nice shimmer):
    Kisses-and-Bises1.jpg

Barry M Pink Flamingo, a corally pink:
    tumblr_lauxp0UiGF1qbas48o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

It's annoying me cos I end up with imprints on my nails when I'm rooting around in my bag.:mad:

This is me!!

Currently using Seche Vite and swear by it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I swear I must have an aversion to them or something. I've tried Rimmell, Barry M and Sally H but never find them to be as strong and hard as when I get my nails done in the beautitians. I even asked what they were using and she said that they use whatever they get when the run to the chemist to pick up some colours, no special brand of polish.

Try Seche Vite! You'll never look back. You can get it in Boots for about €15 or buy it on ebay for like €8 inc postage

maybe your coats are too thick? you could try one of those sprays that dry your polish instantly.
    sorry i'm not much help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Try Seche Vite! You'll never look back. You can get it in Boots for about €15 or buy it on ebay for like €8 inc postage

7.60 GBP here with free delivery: http://www.feelunique.com/p/Seche-Vite-Dry-Fast-Top-Coat-14ml?curr=GBP

maybe your coats are too thick?

Ha, I read "maybe you're too thick?" and was like, :eek:
    :D

Thanks ladies. Definitley will try Seche Vite and will ease up on the thickness of my coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Pythia wrote: »

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160631526637&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

I'm considering buying from here now, it's the cheapest I can find on ebay. Is it real do you reckon? I threw out my old bottle so can't compare them :(

Edit: Actually that looks the same as the one on feelunique. I was put off because it's 14ml whereas on all other sites the bottle are listed as 15mls.
    So that comes to £7 in total inc postage. Not bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160631526637&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

I'm considering buying from here now, it's the cheapest I can find on ebay. Is it real do you reckon? I threw out my old bottle so can't compare them :(

Edit: Actually that looks the same as the one on feelunique. I was put off because it's 14ml whereas on all other sites the bottle are listed as 15mls.
    So that comes to £7 in total inc postage. Not bad..

Seche Vite is a little cheaper on ebay here:
    [URL="[URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/SECHE-VITE-DRY-FAST-TOP-COAT-5-oz-/400189551048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d27f1c8"]http://cgi.ebay.com/SECHE-VITE-DRY-FAST-TOP-COAT-5-oz-/400189551048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d27f1c8[/URL[/URL]]
    €5.89 instead of €7.96, both include shipping. I bought it very recently on ebay, but from a different seller as they were cheapest at the time. I didn't really think there was fake seche vite as it's not the most expensive thing to begin with. I doubt it's too plentiful like say fake mac makeup if it is around. Anyways, that seller has sold over 2000 of them and has 99.7% good feedback so I reckon they're safe.

On a separate note, the best way I've found to search for the cheapest items on ebay is by going to ebay.com not ebay.ie or ebay.co.uk. I type my search eg. "seche vite top coat". Then click the "buy it now" tab. In the pop up box save your location as Ireland. Then on the right drop down box choose "price + shipping: lowest first".

This allows you to get your results ordered from the cheapest total price ie. item price + shipping. For whatever reason, it doesn't work that way on ebay.ie or ebay.co.uk, maybes theres a way around, this is just how I find works well and easy. Prices will be in dollar but you can convert to euro yourself. It will generally be just under a third less when converted to euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

These are my favourites at the mo!

Essence Walk of Fame:

essence+-+walk+of+fame.png

Rimmel Grey Matter:

5277616291_c4d72a0fa8.jpg

Gosh Miss Minty:

gosh-missminty.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

have been avoiding this thread cause every time I read it I just want soooo many new colours lol..... anyways with my boots voucher I got this yesterday - loving the colour No. 7 Milan

nails-4.jpg

have been avoiding this thread cause every time I read it I just want soooo many new colours lol..... anyways with my boots voucher I got this yesterday - loving the colour No. 7 Milan
    boots vouchers are back again ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Audrey_L

was shocked today in tiny castlebar to find the hard to find gosh rainbow, HALF PRICE! So happy with my find, pictures to follow soon:) really need to buy none for a while now... 6 in 2 days haha, but sure i'm on holidays:p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can anyone recommend a nail product (preferably nothing expensive!) to take yellow colour off my nails please?

I noticed about a week ago that my nails had a yellow colour on them, but thought it was just my imagination but the past few days it is more noticeable.:(

I thought it was cause I was painting my nails too much/too often, so I painted them one colour and left it on for about a week and then took it off and just used a clear colour ever since, but the yellowness still hasn't gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

boots vouchers are back again ?:D

yip sure are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Can anyone recommend a nail product (preferably nothing expensive!) to take yellow colour off my nails please?

I noticed about a week ago that my nails had a yellow colour on them, but thought it was just my imagination but the past few days it is more noticeable.:(

I thought it was cause I was painting my nails too much/too often, so I painted them one colour and left it on for about a week and then took it off and just used a clear colour ever since, but the yellowness still hasn't gone :(

Did a quick search there and came up with this, it'd be pretty cheap:

http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/how-to/nails-whiten-yellow

My finger nails are fine but my toenails have gotten a bit discoloured lately- think it might have something to do with fake tan though. Could that be a cause of it for you?

that'd be great for st patricks day. love it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Have you tried buffing them? My nails are always yellowey after I wear green or yellow polish for a few days, and it just buffs off.

Audrey_L wrote: »
    was shocked today in tiny castlebar to find the hard to find gosh rainbow, HALF PRICE! So happy with my find, pictures to follow soon:) really need to buy none for a while now... 6 in 2 days haha, but sure i'm on holidays:p
    thats amazing! cant wait to see the pictures :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Caraville wrote: »
    Did a quick search there and came up with this, it'd be pretty cheap:

http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/how-to/nails-whiten-yellow

My finger nails are fine but my toenails have gotten a bit discoloured lately- think it might have something to do with fake tan though. Could that be a cause of it for you?
    Thank you, I don't wear fake tan so it's not caused by that.
    phasers wrote: »
    Have you tried buffing them? My nails are always yellowey after I wear green or yellow polish for a few days, and it just buffs off.
    I don't wear green or yellow nail polishes though.

I tend to wear red/pinks/dark colours.

Thanks for the tips you guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I've never tried this but I heard rubbing some lemon juice onto your nails with a cotton bud can help remove the yellow stains.

Advertisement