Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Just got this from ASOS, can't wait to get it. <3 scented nail polishes :D

Rimmel London Lasting Finish Fruities Nail Polish - Cranberry Zest - ASOS €3.85

photomar20252c104639am.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Just got this from ASOS, can't wait to get it. <3 scented nail polishes :D

Rimmel London Lasting Finish Fruities Nail Polish - Cranberry Zest - ASOS €3.85
    i actually love those polishes. i wanted to get the apricot punch one but i found out that they test on animals so i wont be buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Wearing another Korean nailpolish today. No name it's just a lilc colour. I'm going to jazz it up with a design or something :)

nailpolish+swatches+006.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

magicray wrote: »
    Im wearing this one today, got it as a freebie ages ago in Glamour magazine but never used it

Can someone explain how to get the actual pic to appear not the link please :-)

You need to upload it to a photo hosting site and then link to that address. It will be a website address ending in .jpg. If you upload directly from your computer it will just appear as an attachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I swore I woudn't buy any more polish till pay day but I've managed to bag 7 polishes for €8 over the weekend!!!

My bf gave me a €10 one4all voucher which I used in boots. Models own were doing buy 2 products and get Lilac Dream polish free :) So 3 polished for €5! Once I'd purchased those three, I got a €7.50 No7 voucher which I immediately used and only had to spend €1.95. Three were presents from my mom and I bought the Next one for €1 :) There's only 8 below - my sister robbed the Lilac Dream on me ..... !

Next Coral; Catrice Sand Francisco; No7 Temptress; Catrice From Dusk To Dawn

DSC02161%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC02142%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

NYC Lincoln Square Lavender; H&M Fashionista; Models Own Grace Green; Models Own Pastel Pink

DSC02158%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC02151%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I got Catrice Sand Francisco this weekend as well Orlee! It's such a pretty colour :) My first Catrice polish as well, so hopefully it'll be as good as the reviews on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

musical.x wrote: »
    i actually love those polishes. i wanted to get the apricot punch one but i found out that they test on animals so i wont be buying them.

Is this rimmel in general or their polishes....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Slightly off topic so forgive me but I saw this earlier when I was mooching around online. Of course I'm a total tourist when it comes to embedding photos and videos (hence why ye haven't seen my fingers on this thread yet!:)) so I'm just gonna leave this link here.... :D

http://youtu.be/9A_TX-rlfvU

Kia is boasting its new commercial as the “world's first nail art animation”, in the promotion of the Kia Buzz. The ad, which all together took 25 days and nights, 1200 bottles of nail polish, two hours of drawing per nail, and a total of 900 fingernails was launched online in July 2011 and has already seen upwards of 2,800,000 views.

Not 100% sure if Rimmel do but they are owned by Coty and Coty are known for testing on animals

OPI were recently bought by Coty - OPI didn't test on animals before so I hope they don't change now!

Slightly off topic so forgive me but I saw this earlier when I was mooching around online. Of course I'm a total tourist when it comes to embedding photos and videos (hence why ye haven't seen my fingers on this thread yet!:)) so I'm just gonna leave this link here.... :D

http://youtu.be/9A_TX-rlfvU

Kia is boasting its new commercial as the “world's first nail art animation”, in the promotion of the Kia Buzz. The ad, which all together took 25 days and nights, 1200 bottles of nail polish, two hours of drawing per nail, and a total of 900 fingernails was launched online in July 2011 and has already seen upwards of 2,800,000 views.

Love it!!! What polish did they use ... looks like OPI bottles but could be anything I'm sure! :)

• Advertisement

Attempted this as an accent but didn't really get the angles right.
    Even with the step by step tutorial!

lightningbolttutorial.jpg

http://nailside.blogspot.com/2011/05/tutorial-lightning-bolt-french.html

Models Own Grace Green with Catrice sir Yes Sir
    DSC02166.JPG

their polishes are tested on animals for defo but i have no idea about the make up

Rimmels policy states that their products are not tested on animals unless the law forces them to :rolleyes: I've been a long time lover of Rimmel nailpolish but I have moved them to the back of my press until I get clarification on whether they do test or not.

O.P.I is also owned by Coty but O.P.I doesn't test on animals themselves.

Doing a lot of research to figure out which companies test on animals if anyone wants a list of the nailpolish companies that do and don't I'd happily post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Asphyxia wrote: »
    Doing a lot of research to figure out which companies test on animals if anyone wants a list of the nailpolish companies that do and don't I'd happily post it.

I'd love to see this list. I recently heard Esse test on animals but I hope this isn't true as I've quite a few of their polishes...

Orlee wrote: »
    No7 Temptress;
    i love that colour!

does anyone know where you can buy catrice nail polish in galway?

Asphyxia wrote: »
    Rimmels policy states that their products are not tested on animals unless the law forces them to :rolleyes: I've been a long time lover of Rimmel nailpolish but I have moved them to the back of my press until I get clarification on whether they do test or not.

O.P.I is also owned by Coty but O.P.I doesn't test on animals themselves.

I'd love to see this list. I recently heard Esse test on animals but I hope this isn't true as I've quite a few of their polishes...

I'd love your list too Asphyxia ... This is pretty comprehensive, might be some help also :)

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Orlee wrote: »
    Attempted this as an accent but didn't really get the angles right.
    Even with the step by step tutorial!

lightningbolttutorial.jpg

http://nailside.blogspot.com/2011/05/tutorial-lightning-bolt-french.html

Here's a youtube vid I had just seen yesterday of a lightening bolt. I def have to get me a good silver polish for stamping etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7DCipe4QM&feature=share

Okay so here are the confirmed companies at present that DON'T test their nailpolish on animals. I have stated beside the brands with a 'V' for companies that are also Vegan and I have put the name of the brands owner beside some of them. While some brands might be cruelty free the company that owns them might test on other brands.

17 (Boots)
    Anise Cosmetics V
    Avon
    Barry M
    Beauty UK V
    Bobbi Brown (Estee Lauder)
    Bourjois
    butter LONDON
    Catrice
    Chanel
    China Glaze
    Claire's
    Clinique (Estee Lauder)
    Collection 2000
    Color Club V
    Deborah Lippmann
    Dior
    e.l.f
    Essence
    Eyeko
    GOSH
    Hard Candy
    H&M (Hennes & Mauritz)
    Illamasqua
    IsaDora
    Jessica
    Kiko
    Kiss
    L.A. Colors
    M.A.C
    Milani
    Miss Sporty
    Models Own
    MUA (Make up Academy)
    Nicole by O.P.I (owned by Coty)
    NARS
    NFU Oh!
    No. 7 (Boots)
    Nubar V
    NYC (New York Colour)
    NYX
    OCC (Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics) V
    Orly international
    O.P.I (owned by Coty)
    Paul & Joe
    Pixi
    POP beauty
    Revlon
    SinfulColors
    Saffron
    Sally Hansen (owned by Coty)
    Sephora by O.P.I (owned by Coty)
    Stargazer
    The Body Shop (owned by L'Oreal)
    Urban Decay V
    Wet 'n Wild
    Zoya V

Essie was bought by L'Oreal and O.P.I were bought by a company called Coty and both of those companies test on animals. I emailed Peta to see if their animal testing policies changed. He replied to me happily telling me that O.P.I are not changing their policy and will never test on animals but after several months he has not heard a confirmation back from Essie. I shall be putting away my Essie until I know more information.

Companies/products that do or haven't been clarified whether they test on animals.

CoverGirl
    Essie
    L'Oreal
    Maybelline (L'Oreal)
    Max Factor (Procter & Gamble)
    Nails Inc (I couldn't find a single piece of information stating they don't test on animals, I'll have to email them)
    Rimmel

I would also like to mention that as of March 2013 animal testing in Europe will be banned, this is very exciting news as it means going back to products without the pain and suffering of a poor animal. You can find more information on it here... http://www.eceae.org/en/what-we-do/campaigns/cosmetics

This is just a rough list of what's in my head, I'll edited tomorrow when I have my notebook :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Thank you, I don't wear fake tan so it's not caused by that.

I don't wear green or yellow nail polishes though.

I tend to wear red/pinks/dark colours.

Thanks for the tips you guys.

Sometimes red contains a yellow pigment and it can stain your nails.
    I used a really nice candy blue before and it stained my nails something shocking, it looked like I had frostbite for a while.

I just had a look at the Product Safety Policy on Coty's website..
    The safety of our consumers is of utmost importance to us. That's why we rigorously test our products and ingredients before they are sold in the marketplace.

Because we take safety so seriously, we employ teams of scientists and toxicologists who work to maintain the highest possible standards of safety for our consumers.

We share our consumers' respect for life, and therefore are committed to maintaining the highest possible standards of human safety while eliminating the need for testing on animals. Coty's safety testing policy requires that we meet or exceed all governmental safety laws in each of the 90+ markets in which our products are sold.

I'm not quite sure what to think now! I'm going to send an email and see what they say. I understand that every company can change, I remember when Revlon was once a major animal testing company but have since changed changed their spots :) Fingers crossed about Coty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Karona wrote: »
    Sometimes red contains a yellow pigment and it can stain your nails.
    I used a really nice candy blue before and it stained my nails something shocking, it looked like I had frostbite for a while.

My friends mum always wears a really vibrant nails inc red without a base coat....When she takes it off to put on a fresh coat her nails are a reddish pink. I was shocked when I saw it but she said when she buffed them they would be grand. Maybe see where a buff gets you! :) I religiously wear base coat...some people don't have the patience for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Re the yellow nails there are products you can get that make them less yellow I have one its a barbara daly for tesco one. Basically I think it has a blue sort of hue to ut which neutralises the yellow. To prevent it wear a good base coat under any strong nail colours.

With the lemon juice if you are trying that mix in a little baking soda and you will find it enhances the whitening effect - my granny used to mix the two together and apply to our teetgh! tasted yuck but it worked!

This is Sally Hansen (the new polishes) in 'Navy Baby' it was only 6.95 in mccabes! :D I needed two coats for it to look good but I am loving it now especially under lights. It is a good dupe of the dior tuxedo colour and costs a hell of a lot less!

nb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

i love that colour!

does anyone know where you can buy catrice nail polish in galway?

I got some Catrice up in Dunnes in Briarhill :)

I got some Catrice up in Dunnes in Briarhill :)
    i cant get there :( are there any places in the town centre on shop street or any place near that?
    thanks for the reply btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

i cant get there :( are there any places in the town centre on shop street or any place near that?
    thanks for the reply btw :)

Not that I know of :(. I live in the city centre and I've hunted everywhere and the only places I know of is the Dunnes in Briarhill and a Pharmacy in Knocknacarra. There's a bus that will drop you off right outside the Dunnes if that's any good to you? I ended up making a trip out there specially to buy polishes - well worth it :)

Not that I know of :(. I live in the city centre and I've hunted everywhere and the only places I know of is the Dunnes in Briarhill and a Pharmacy in Knocknacarra. There's a bus that will drop you off right outside the Dunnes if that's any good to you? I ended up making a trip out there specially to buy polishes - well worth it :)
    i wish boots would just wake up and stock more polish. i know they used to sell isadora and gosh in matt o flaherty in town so i might check in there (i doubt they will though :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I thought dunnes in corbett court/eyre square centre had catrice? I remember going in there ages ago looking for essence as I assumed they'd have it as I got essence and catrice in briarhill but all they had was catrice and rimmel I believe. I think the stands were over by the customer service desk near the handbags. They now stock essence on the top floor in front of the tills so it might be worth a stroll around the place to see if catrice is still there.

I thought dunnes in corbett court/eyre square centre had catrice? I remember going in there ages ago looking for essence as I assumed they'd have it as I got essence and catrice in briarhill but all they had was catrice and rimmel I believe. I think the stands were over by the customer service desk near the handbags. They now stock essence on the top floor in front of the tills so it might be worth a stroll around the place to see if catrice is still there.
    thanks i'll check out that stand!! totally forgot about it.
    i was up in dunnes the last day and they had moved the essence stand and now i'm not sure if they stock it anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I found a new Catrice stand in the WeCare pharmacy in Salthill beside mortons!

Walked in, emitted an "EEP!", bought too many colours. It was the best day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Barry_m-indigo.jpg
    DSCF4247-300x225.jpg

Got theese two today,have a weeks holidays from work so I can wear polish.
    Thinking I may do pink with a purple tip.

Advertisement