Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

newwifey wrote: »
    you beat me to my 1st newbie question eviledna
    so now for my second:D

Can you nail-varnish-a-holics tell me if any of u are stay at home mums

I love polish but it never lasts a day with all the dish washing, nappy changing, hand washing routine.
    Am i doing something wrong?
    Have tried a lot of the polish mentioned on this thread and they all chip after the 1st day:mad:

Do you use a topcoat? That should protect the varnish somewhat.
    Other than that, all I can suggest is gloves when your hands are in water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I love polish but it never lasts a day with all the dish washing, nappy changing, hand washing routine.
    Have tried a lot of the polish mentioned on this thread and they all chip after the 1st day:mad:

Do you use a topcoat? That should protect the varnish somewhat.
    Other than that, all I can suggest is gloves when your hands are in water!

Stay home mammy here, second the top coat. I also use a base coat to make polish last. Get good 3 to 4 days out of it. I use Rimmel base and top coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I'm at home most of the day too, +1 on the topcoat! It never really bothers me to be honest because I paint my nails a LOT, but do invest in a top coat if you want to prolong your polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Cheers girls, will give it a go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Got the new boots 17magnetic polish today. Only 8 euro and totally loving it!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Your nails are class stargirl.gra! Love the little designs :) Also the 17 polish looks to be a dupe for the Nails Inc magnetic polish - Link because the pic is huge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Just put on Essie Sexy Divide, my nails are in terrible condition, splitting, breaking and peeling, nothing seems to make any difference.:(

Think I'll stop wearing coloured polish for a while after I take this off, give my nail a break in the hope they'll be OK for Xmas.:(

IMG_5493.JPG

Photo from Polish or Perish

Your nails are class stargirl.gra! Love the little designs :) Also the 17 polish looks to be a dupe for the Nails Inc magnetic polish - Link because the pic is huge!!

definately a dupe for it and i think it was maria from nailnation that was swatching the nails inc one and said the bottle cost her 16$ so 8€ is a bargain at that rate. All my nails are to designed at the moment to paint them all :D but I'm going to try it on my toes when I find the time unless I can convince someone (maybe my 4 year old niece) to swatch it for me.

Just put on Essie Sexy Divide, my nails are in terrible condition, splitting, breaking and peeling, nothing seems to make any difference.:(

Think I'll stop wearing coloured polish for a while after I take this off, give my nail a break in the hope they'll be OK for Xmas.:(

I just did a nail technician course and just to say that giving nails a break is a myth as they are dead skin cells so cannot breathe or recooperate. it's around the cuticle you need to pay attetion to to get your nails back in condition so maybe try oiling them every night. Also have a think about things like stress or diet or illness as really these are what can affect our nail growth. I only noticed myself 3 weeks ago I was dying of a head cold and my nails were all peeling and split it's just a case of the body having to focus it's attention elsewhere. I must say I found the nail theory really interesting. But I go back to what andrea from plasmaspeedo on youtube says, she minds her cuticles and she takes biotin supplements and her nails no longer flake or break on her.

• Advertisement

I just did a nail technician course and just to say that giving nails a break is a myth as they are dead skin cells so cannot breathe or recooperate. it's around the cuticle you need to pay attetion to to get your nails back in condition so maybe try oiling them every night. Also have a think about things like stress or diet or illness as really these are what can affect our nail growth. I only noticed myself 3 weeks ago I was dying of a head cold and my nails were all peeling and split it's just a case of the body having to focus it's attention elsewhere. I must say I found the nail theory really interesting. But I go back to what andrea from plasmaspeedo on youtube says, she minds her cuticles and she takes biotin supplements and her nails no longer flake or break on her.
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Diet and stress have a LOT to do with it.

I had hoped to avoid taking any kind of supplement but if it would help I'd give it a go. I'll speak to a pharmacist in Boots or my GP and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

NN9VUs.jpg

Isadora Ashes to Ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

stargazer 105- i wish they had names :mad:
    its the best polish ever! the picture doesnt do it justice. its really shiney and it glitters in the light.
    two coats plus a top coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

It finally happened ... I just bought Catrice In the Bronx because I just couldn't leave the shop without it. Such a lovely rich bronze ... how on earth had I gone this long without it!?

Delighted to add it to my collection when I got home .... only to find I already owned it!

I have managed to rack up 132 nail polishes (not including top/base coats) in less time than I care to say so it was bound to happen :o

Has this ever happened to you or am I just a huge twit?!

Orlee wrote: »
    It finally happened ... I just bought Catrice In the Bronx because I just couldn't leave the shop without it. Such a lovely rich bronze ... how on earth had I gone this long without it!?

Delighted to add it to my collection when I got home .... only to find I already owned it!

I have managed to rack up 132 nail polishes (not including top/base coats) in less time than I care to say so it was bound to happen :o

Has this ever happened to you or am I just a huge twit?!

Hahaha I've done this! I bought Catrice 'I Wear my Sunglasses at Night' and never used it. Then I spotted Sally Hansen 'Midnight in NY' and thought 'ooh!!! a black polish with sparkle!! I have nothing like that!!' and forked out for it. They're the same bloody polish.

Also, you're not a twit. I went into Dunnes yesterday for milk and grapefruit and came out without the milk, but with 6 nail polishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Pythia wrote: »
    It's got a bit of cream in it so I wouldn't say neon. I would try Essie Punchy pink or Orly Fancy Fuschia maybe. Have a google and see what the pics look like.

After having this on for a day or two, I think it actually is a neon, just a lighter one than one. It certainly did the thing where it dries matte. Wore a plain black dress today and thought the pink nails looked locely with it, the focal point as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Looking for some storage for my varnishes. So expensive :(

In the space of a week I have accumulation 30 more nail varnishes :eek:

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Looking for some storage for my varnishes. So expensive :(

In the space of a week I have accumulation 30 more nail varnishes :eek:

I have the same problem, I'm starting to run out of space. At the minute I'm using a couple of cardboard boxes just so that I can keep them upright, but have been scouring the euro shops for some kind of stationery boxes or something to keep them in. I'm nowhere next nor near an IKEA, but if you are, I've seen loads of nail bloggers who are buying their storage drawers, they're brilliant for polish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Started the 31-day Nail Challenge on my blog today - may as well, I paint my nails every day anyway! Here's the red for Day 1 - Rimmel Lasting Finish, Exotica.

yay! a funny nail blog :D <stalks>

I have the same problem, I'm starting to run out of space. At the minute I'm using a couple of cardboard boxes just so that I can keep them upright, but have been scouring the euro shops for some kind of stationery boxes or something to keep them in. I'm nowhere next nor near an IKEA, but if you are, I've seen loads of nail bloggers who are buying their storage drawers, they're brilliant for polish!

Yes I have my eye on some drawers from IKEA I keep browsing there store online I just wish they had a shop online, it would make things so much more easier!

I quite like the wall mounted plastic shelves but being in a rented house I wouldn't be able to stick them up! Huh! The trials and tribulations of being a nail varnish obsessive! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Yes I have my eye on some drawers from IKEA I keep browsing there store online I just wish they had a shop online, it would make things so much more easier!

I quite like the wall mounted plastic shelves but being in a rented house I wouldn't be able to stick them up! Huh! The trials and tribulations of being a nail varnish obsessive! :rolleyes:

I was in Penneys this evening and I saw storage packs - they've got a pack of 3 or 4 (can't remember) drawer separators for 4 euro and they look ideal for nail polish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I was out in Ikea last week and bought a Helmer after seeing t on a few nail polish blogs! I haven't gotten to this stage http://www.polishpolice.com/tag/ikea-helmer/ but I'm getting there :)

Top drawer for base/top coats, tools, minis, nail files etc
    IMAG0739.jpg

Second drawer for random sized polishes
    IMAG0740.jpg

Third drawer for neatness!!! All the bottle are about the same shape
    IMAG0741.jpg

It's great and was only €30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

^ I really want one of those! My nail polish collection is currently residing in 3 shoe boxes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I got this for mine in Homebase

It's so handy, A4 size. I think it was around €24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

nubar2.jpg

Bought this! Can't wait for it to arrive!!

It's NUBAR in Gem

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I've been wearing this for the past few days

Zoya Dove

DSCN9073.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Julio__Bitchez

My mom was at a sale of work & saw the OPI Burlesque little teasers mini nail polishes and got them for ONE EURO! :O She didn't even realize OPI was such a known brand in the polish world haha

Bidding on nail varnish on ebay! Looks like it's going to be a late night!

This also didn't do anything for my nails.

When I put it on, it dries into a glassy finished and then cracked and peeled off. :(

It also left my nails a green colour for a day or two after I took it off.

I picked up these vitamins in Boots for around €7, started them yesterday, hopefully they'll do something.

001_562.JPG

• Advertisement

Advertisement