Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bachelor of Science in Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Theraphy Carlow IT

• 08-06-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi i was just wondering if anyone out there on this course could give me an idea of what goes on on the course ? its Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Therapy in Carlow IT . Please help with any relevant info .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Hi i was just wondering if anyone out there on this course could give me an idea of what goes on on the course ? its Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Sports Rehabilitation & Athletic Therapy in Carlow IT . Please help with any relevant info .

Year 1 is a lot of anatomy and physiology, branching out into things like exercise physiology and things like cell biology and maybe a bit of chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlliLouise

Main subjects are like anatomy and physiology. anatomy is mostly learning the different parts on bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons etc. quite a nice subject. physiology; study the systems, alot about circulatory and respiratory systems ( not as simple as leaving cert biology but not too bad of a subject.) exercise physiology; really interesting involves things like how a muscle contracts etc etc. the subject kind of changes in second year its more sports related and effects of too much training, I liked it.
    quantitative methods: you either get it or not, if you were any way decent at maths you'll do grand. i did ordinary level maths and flew through it.
    first aid; its a bit of craic, blowing into a doll on the ground, wrapping classmates in bandages so they cant move and the worst attempts of tieing a sling is sure to happen in this class. you also get a cert at the end from the order of malta. oh theres also fitness training; i was a couch potatoe so wasnt overly enthused about it but hey its fun .....sometimes. nothing like being out one night and coming in the following morning to do some weight lifting (they arent heavy BTW)

overall its a good course, really interesting i recommend! lecturers are really nice and helpful. Most of them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Power21

Hi,
    I PM'd you a course outline that my guidance teacher from school asked me to do for his careers class, hope it helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cj12

how many hours a week is the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Power21

Forgot to say that I did Physiology & Health Sc not Sports rehab but I'm sure they're the same, the hours were 25 I think in first year!

• Advertisement

does anyone know if the number of places for this course is going to increase for 2011? 18 places is quite low but its a new course so just wondering would they be likely to increase the number of places because they have a better idea of the demand for the course!

i wouldnt say the number will be increased because 18 is the max number for practical classes and if they add more they have to put on double the classes and pay more lecturers. which i doubt they'll do. :(

ok thanks does all the practical part of the course take place in the college it self? did many drop out of the course do you know?

yep it all takes place there in the college its like a 30 second walk from the canteen super close. there is a specific lab just for the sports rehab, physiology and sports science courses. it looks like a mini gym with some medical equipment and 2 rooms off it with massage type beds.

not many drop out if they do its mostly due to fees or personal reasons but the majority like the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

cj12 wrote: »
    does anyone know if the number of places for this course is going to increase for 2011? 18 places is quite low but its a new course so just wondering would they be likely to increase the number of places because they have a better idea of the demand for the course!

Just a note for you, there were 23 students in the Sports Rehabilitation course during the 2010/2011 year. One group of 16, and then the others joined in with a Physiology and Health Science group ( exact same subjects).

I doubt it will be the same this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Emma-Kavanagh

thanks a million . very helpful

Advertisement