Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many quotes should be used in the Comparative section in English Paper 2?

• 08-06-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Do you have to quote as often as you do in Poetry or in the Single Text sections?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You don't have to quote at all. Reference to the text is sufficient in the comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Quotes are not necessary but I'm using some anyway. Adds force to the argument and shows off that you know the text. Only a few though and not in a forced manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Electra19

No, you don’t have to quote –you must refer to KEY MOMENTS. This is from the 2010 Marking scheme for the comparative text:
    In all answers in this section, candidates may refer to one/more key moment/s from the text/s. The purpose of this is to allow the candidates to ground their responses in specific moments without feeling that they must range over the entire text/s. However, do not expect that all the illustrative reference in an answer will come from the key moment/s. Candidates may offer appropriate illustrative reference from any part of the text/s.

Good luck and hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Just key moments as said above but i use quotes anyways because I do SJQE (Statement, Justify, Quote, Explain) for my questions in paper 2 and it keeps me in order without going off waffling >< (as i tend to alot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

You do not have to quote. Whereas in the Single Text and Poetry quoting can be the difference between grades, quoting in comparative might seem forced. The only quote I may put in is from Rick from "Casablanca"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Electra19 wrote: »
    .... However, do not expect that all the illustrative reference in an answer will come from the key moment/s. Candidates may offer appropriate illustrative reference from any part of the text/s.

Sorry, bit confused. Does this last piece from marking scheme mean candidates can refer to both key moments AND specific quotes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Sorry, bit confused. Does this last piece from marking scheme mean candidates can refer to both key moments AND specific quotes ?

No, merely that referential support to the text is not strictly tied to key moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

I was told put in a few quotes but can just use 1 per paragraph. Better off learning the key moments and quickly going through the book and picking up a few quotes you might be able to use. Quotes are nowhere near as needed as they are for single text or poetry.

Advertisement