Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

datacentre costs

Options
  • 08-06-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

I have a contract with a datacentre, this includes renting an entire cabinet, and managing the switches, 2 x cisco firewalls and various server monitoring. I would like to know what the current pricing for this is?

1. renting a cabinet in a datacentre with the usual redundant power etc. No failover to a redundant site.
    2. Management of cisco 5520 firewall.
    3. management of switches.
    4. provision of IP connectivity, 2mbps burstable to 5mbps

There are very few change requests by us, about one every 2 months. If anyone has experience with this and can give an idea of the expected costs I would be most gratefull.

Tks,
    Owen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The main cost normally is what your SLA is when something goes wrong or you need to get something change / modified quickly.

How important are the boxes and their data?
    OwenM wrote: »
    I have a contract with a datacentre, this includes renting an entire cabinet, and managing the switches, 2 x cisco firewalls and various server monitoring. I would like to know what the current pricing for this is?

1. renting a cabinet in a datacentre with the usual redundant power etc. No failover to a redundant site.

There are very few change requests by us, about one every 2 months. If anyone has experience with this and can give an idea of the expected costs I would be most gratefull.

Tks,
    Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

boxes need to be up 24x7x365, the content is used across the globe. From a backup perspective the data is transient, new data entirely replaces the existing data every 120hrs.

Change requests are only made 8x5, unless a problem occurs but so far that hasn't happened.

There are 5 servers, 2 switches and two cisco firewalls in the cabinet.

Tks,
    Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

boxes need to be up 24x7x365, the content is used across the globe. From a backup perspective the data is transient, new data entirely replaces the existing data every 120hrs.

Change requests are only made 8x5, unless a problem occurs but so far that hasn't happened.

There are 5 servers, 2 switches and two cisco firewalls in the cabinet.

Tks,
    Owen.
    Generally you pay for space, the use of power (inc cooling) and the network connection (100MB/1GB etc) that you have.
    Additionally the contract with SLA and having 24hr access to NOC support for either issues with the servers and hand and eyes support.

You say you are renting a full cab, but is this for security reasons?
    In some cases you are either paying for the use of a cab worth of power (no more equipment can go in maybe due to Amp usage) or that you have provision of a full cab where the space is wasted.

I'd recommend contacting your account manager in the datacentre and either re-negotiating the contract and/or finding out exactly what you are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

I would also look at moving to cloud options...

For colo in Dublin , rates are from 800-1500 a month for a full rack with power.

Expect to pay 5-50 euro per Mbps per month for transit.

SLA's can start at a few hundred and up depending on the services and levels.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Tks,
    Owen.
    Your best bet here is to price around and see. Some options are Servecentric, Data Electronics, Digiweb. I would recommend Servecentric though as they provide hosting in an excellent data centre and can also manage your firewall/switches etc too. I dont work for them but I have used them.

• Advertisement

For a full list (I recently went 'around the houses' in Dub)

- DataElectronics
    - Sungard
    - Digiweb
    - Cable & Wireless
    - Eircom
    - Servecentric

Some offer more services than others, you'll also find pricing higher than larger colo markets in the UK or US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Don't forget to check out InterXion. They've two sites in Clondalkin, I believe their DUB1 site is the co-lo.

I was a client of theirs for 5 years and both their service and staff are top class. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Good call - no idea how I left them out! Their dub2 facility in Park West is one of the best in the country too!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

TeleCity is also missing from the list

The company i work for has moved our secondary Data Centre through from Centre to Centre trying to find a TeleCity MKII but have never found anything to match them in terms of service and no-fuss uptime or bull****

Advertisement