Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 : Composing Choice

Options
  • 08-06-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Which essay did you pick?

what essay? 65 votes

1. A speech about what is indispensable in your life
    0% 0 votes
    2. An article about discrimination and tolerance
    16% 11 votes
    3. A story to be included in a collection of modern fairytales
    10% 7 votes
    4. An article about the impact of technology on the lives of young people
    10% 7 votes
    5. Personal Essay about your clothes and they say and mean about you
    38% 25 votes
    6. Descriptive essay about 24 hours in a city or town
    9% 6 votes
    7. Short Story with a mystery
    13% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

One about indispensable things.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The fairytale one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Article on technology :) i had planned on writing a speech going in but it didn't suit me as much as I had hoped so opted for the article instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BronaghMcA

7 and it was the cheesiest story in the world about a secret admirer! hope my examiner is a woman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

The poll is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Short story was a disaster! Horrible and its my favourite type of composition.

I didnt even look at the article! And I feel my writing has been among the article type since last years leaving!

My mam was like "Look at your articles...you had one like this"

FML....:( My B is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Couldn't believe when I saw the fairytale. Our teacher made us write a modernised version of a fairytale earlier on in the year. I, not being bothered writing 5 pages about a fairytale, wrote two pages of a rhyming story. Got an A! Raging I didn't read over it a few times. Could've just used that perfectly today. Eded up choosing option 7 and adapting my short story (badly) into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Article on technology :) i had planned on writing a speech going in but it didn't suit me as much as I had hoped so opted for the article instead.

Exactly the same for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I had nothing planned! Nothing prepaired. We were told not to. Regret it now.

At least I picked a less popular one on clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

For the people who done the speech - what did you say was indispensable? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I was so dead set on doing the "24 hours in a city" one, but at the last minute I chose to go on a rant about discrimination against people with disabilities, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I did the Mystery story. When I started doing I couldn't come up with any ideas and started freaking out, but after a page I felt pretty good about it.

I made it about a guy who's lost 4 hours of his day without knowing why. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

I was worried about what they would constitute as a " fairytale ". My story involved an adulterous relationship that leads to heartbreak and eventually the main character goes back to his wife and she accepts him with open arms and lived happily ever after.(A major cliché i know). Anybody wanna ease my mind by saying this would count as a modern fairytale ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

The personal essay on clothes! And eugh such a bad choice lookin back :mad:

Only managed 3 and 3/4 pages, kinda went off topic aswell.
    Overall, disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

I was worried about what they would constitute as a " fairytale ". My story involved an adulterous relationship that leads to heartbreak and eventually the main character goes back to his wife and she accepts him with open arms and lived happily ever after.(A major cliché i know). Anybody wanna ease my mind by saying this would count as a modern fairytale ? :)

Frailty thy name is woman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Yeah Buddy wrote: »
    For the people who done the speech - what did you say was indispensable? :)
    Literature (Basically to say to the examiner LOOK! I READ OUTSIDE SCHOOL TOO!), Music, Games (talked about how they're like interactive novels that reward multiple readings), Family and friends, and finally pets. I threw pets in there because I live on a farm, and since it followed the family point, I could use the exact title they gave me.

"However, there are certain people and possessions I could live without. But a cat is indispensable. Or a dog, or a fish!" etc.
    I thought it worked well. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

I did number 4 about technology in the lives of young people...... at some points i went on about technology but didnt really refer it back to young peoples lives...... hopefully i wont lose too many purpose marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I did the descriptive essay about Dublin..

MAY have slipped a few Kavanagh words in about the Canal.. The water is stilly, greeny.. Don't know if I'll get away with it, since they're not words in the dictionary (I think..), but I mentioned his name anyway.

WHOOPS.
    Got a bit distracted by the last two/three paragraphs, started describing people whereas I was describing the city beforehand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

The clothes one was really really really really tough, made such a balls of it

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I did the article about technology too! :) Decent enough title! I thought it was easier than last years how to be a good neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

The first one, which I did about role models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

I didn't use the plan for my essay as I had to change my mind because I knew I couldn't write on that one.. I ended up writing less than two pages for my speech.. (indispensable) Will I lose marks for not having a corresponding plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

I wrote the mystery short story. We had done something like them in school so i was delighted. A friend of mine did an article. We never did them! I hope she doesnt regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

I did option 7 as well the 'Solved Mystery' Short story title. I got 80/100 for my last Short story in the mock so went with that.

Based it on a string of murders by a serial killer in NY City. The plot wasn't really that well developed but I think I wrote it well, character description, attention to detail in the scenes etc. Hope they count it as a 'Solved Mystery' though!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

With well over half of students doing Tech or Mystery question, it'll be very hard to do well in that question!

I'm glad I did Q2.

Examiners will grow tired of reading about the newest iPhone. Choosing one of the other questions will be a relief for them. Likely to give better marks I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

24 hours in a city.

I was lucky enough to have done(and looked over) an A1 essay on "a place you consider beautiful", so that wen to good use.

Advertisement