Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Fantasy Manager

Options
  • 08-06-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Just an idea for a Journo feature...

So, I'm hoping to start a bit of a debate on what player goes where etc. Most people know the three or four attributes that each position should have, but there are so many variables and every manager selects in a different way.

What I propose - I need at least three volunteers. I supply the same completely made up squad of 17 players to each manager. The manager has a few days to pick their first 15. Then I'll put up each selection on the off-site journo section and people can discuss whether the picks were right etc.

It'll allow the old hands to needle each other and the newer members to get to grips with the more in-depth process of team selection (without wading through a mountain of rules.)

So, anyone up for it? Just going to try it here first before doing a second test on the off-site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

count me in! ill give a newb view, then the others can breakdown the strengths and weakness' of the players. Then we can see how far off i was :p

im havin trouble trying to fit players into my own starting 15, i just realised my current 6 used to play 13.. also iv 2 guys i thought wud be wingers/fullback but they havnt got the green tick of approval in match summarys..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

TheJims wrote: »
    count me in! ill give a newb view, then the others can breakdown the strengths and weakness' of the players. Then we can see how far off i was :p

im havin trouble trying to fit players into my own starting 15, i just realised my current 6 used to play 13.. also iv 2 guys i thought wud be wingers/fullback but they havnt got the green tick of approval in match summarys..

Ooooh, they give out the green tick pretty handily these days. When they first brought it in it was pretty strict, but now it's quite broad, so I would be a bit worried. Then again, some managers throw the rulebook out the window and dominate (like a certain manager putting his hooker in as scrumhalf and overloading Pick n Go... Mar-Z.... -.- )

Cool, first manager in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Fewcifur wrote: »
    (like a certain manager putting his hooker in as scrumhalf and overloading Pick n Go... Mar-Z.... -.- )

When did I do that to you :confused:

Edit: actually just searched our fixtures. That epic tactical victory was over a year ago, I think you have to get over it :P :D

mar-z wrote: »
    When did I do that to you :confused:

Edit: actually just searched our fixtures. That epic tactical victory was over a year ago, I think you have to get over it :P :D

It's still an excellent example of a player out of their obvious place but having an impact. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

i'll give it a bash also if you give us enough time to analyse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

I will give it a go too count me in.

Cool, should make for some interesting outcomes. Three is the perfect number me thinks. I'll start putting the squad together and then PM you guys on here. Should a week be enough to analyze?

yeah a week from monday...of too amsterdam for weekend! ;)

eoferrall wrote: »
    yeah a week from monday...of too amsterdam for weekend! ;)

That'll certainly lead to some crrrrazah team selections alright!

Cool, I'll send them to ye on Monday.

Three managers should have got their teams yesterday... right?

• Advertisement

Three managers should have got their teams yesterday... right?

Yeah have the full cartoon bunch! put a few into positions yesterday, but some fit in a few but not perfect in any... damn you! ;)

Delighted with the names! lol.. found it tough to get started with out the GUI of the website, but a notebook and a pen later things are coming together! :rolleyes:

I shall defo learn alot from this! looking forward to the lol's the offsite will get at my poor decision making :p

Fewcifer, are we doing approximate tactics? or do we just say a brief line as to why we picked a player in a certain position?

Fewcifer, are we doing approximate tactics? or do we just say a brief line as to why we picked a player in a certain position?
    Yeah have the full cartoon bunch! put a few into positions yesterday, but some fit in a few but not perfect in any... damn you! ;)

Phew! Wasn't sure if the PM sent, glad it did.

Yeah, it's tricky without the colours and the overall sense of the player, but 17 players took long enough to write without adding graphics :)

Just a rough outline of the tactics you intend to use, so for example "I went for a more mobile pack because plan to spread it wide and I need fast ball at the rucks" etc. Just kind of justify your selection really.

cool, struggling with the back row! can't decide! it mirrors my own team, can't decide who is best back row combination!:o

cool, struggling with the back row! can't decide! it mirrors my own team, can't decide who is best back row combination!:o

Yeah, I tried to make it so the manager would have to really set up the team for the style of rugby he wants to play, rather than just picking what player is stereotypically best for each position.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

Yeah, I tried to make it so the manager would have to really set up the team for the style of rugby he wants to play, rather than just picking what player is stereotypically best for each position.

I got the team alrite..... not many would fit in to my style of game but I will c what I can do

I got the team alrite..... not many would fit in to my style of game but I will c what I can do

i tell ya, i dont have a style of play yyet.. so explaining my tactics wont be much more then placing people into their positions and hoping i can win!

But seriously it seems to be a big hole in my game.. i dont think iv ever changed my tactics for a game, as i dont know what to do basically!

ill try "set" tactics for the team i pick, and explain what i want from them, and hopefully that will set me on the way of being a tactical genius!

Scrummage wrote: »

Orly? I thought I gave a good spread of characters. Now I'm interested to see what you come up with.

so i forgot to bring my notepad to work there today! so ill have to type out the squad n the other sh*te when im home... but not until i watch the new Game of Thrones!!

Will i post it myself on the offsite or pm it to you here?

• Advertisement

TheJims wrote: »
    so i forgot to bring my notepad to work there today! so ill have to type out the squad n the other sh*te when im home... but not until i watch the new Game of Thrones!!

Will i post it myself on the offsite or pm it to you here?

Fewcifur said to me to pm him and he will post up all 3 at the same time in the interests of fairness.

also just watched the game of thrones - epic!:D I want MORE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

also just watched the game of thrones - epic!:D I want MORE!!

What a show!!

What a show!!

reading the books now also. very good so far:)

reading the books now also. very good so far:)

I was just about to say "READ THE BOOK!" . Mar-Z will back me up on this, awesome sauce altogether.

yup, Jims, just PM and I'll throw them up together.

I was just about to say "READ THE BOOK!" . Mar-Z will back me up on this, awesome sauce altogether.

yup, Jims, just PM and I'll throw them up together.

Fewcifur, I will always beat you!;)

just remembered I must set my team for tonight - game on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Books are pretty epic alright (I've enjoyed the show too)

I've also really enjoyed reactions on this thread in the television forum to what happens. I wont let myself post in it as I will end up spoiling something accidently.

Especially loved the video in this post. Big spoiler for the show/book for anyone who hasn't been watching it

And now back to rugby......... :o

UP ON THE OFF-SITE! AWOOOGA!

Only Monday left to vote for your winner.

Also sign-up for Round 2 has begun, next two managers to volunteer are in.

The Winner - Scrummage/Mullend/Couch Potatoes . It was very close in the end, but victory was had in the last few minutes.

• Advertisement

The X-men team is up on the off-site

Advertisement