Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike start problem

• 08-06-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

my bike fzr 250 was laid up for a while so it wouldnt start ,i recharged the battery and then tried jumping it off the car which still didnt start it but it was turning over , i tried again today to jump it off the car but now theres not a thing out of it its completely dead and the battery is fully charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Have you checked the fuse box by the battery and the one under the tank? When you turn the key do the dash lights come on (Neutral, etc)?

A firends FZS 600 wouldn't start last week for him because 2 wires in the box under the tank had crossed and become rock solid. Quick fix to get him home was to put tape between them but he has to replace them properly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

The Don wrote: »
    Have you checked the fuse box by the battery and the one under the tank? When you turn the key do the dash lights come on (Neutral, etc)?

A firends FZS 600 wouldn't start last week for him because 2 wires in the box under the tank had crossed and become rock solid. Quick fix to get him home was to put tape between them but he has to replace them properly now.
    the dash lights did come on untill i treid to jump it today theres nothing at all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

the dash lights did come on untill i treid to jump it today theres nothing at all now

You probably blew a fuse jumping it. There should be a few spares in the fuse box that you can use as replacements. Take out the old ones and look at their metal connectors, if they are dirty/burned then try replacing them. It may take a bit of effort to pull them out with a pliers/vicegrips. They should be pretty cheap to buy in bike shops if you don't have enough. Disconnect the battery before you replace them :p

Outside of the fuses being gone I wouldn't know what else to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

You probably blew a fuse jumping it. There should be a few spares in the fuse box that you can use as replacements. Take out the old ones and look at their metal connectors, if they are dirty/burned then try replacing them. It may take a bit of effort to pull them out with a pliers/vicegrips. They should be pretty cheap to buy in bike shops if you don't have enough. Disconnect the battery before you replace them :p

Outside of the fuses being gone I wouldn't know what else to look for.

will do cheers for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,433 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You probably blew a fuse jumping it.

Shouldn't happen, unless the car battery was connected the wrong way round, but in that case you can do a lot more damage than blowing fuses (blow up the CDI box or rectifier, or literally melt the wiring harness!)

If the bike was laid up for a long time then the carbs/injectors are probably blocked. If the OP is lucky he'll get away with draining out the old fuel (the part of the petrol that evaporates away the quickest in storage is what you need for starting, as it ignites the easiest), putting in fresh petrol, charging up the battery, replacing the fuses and trying again.

If that doesn't work then the basics have to be checked - are the plugs sparking? is fuel reaching the cylinders? plenty of guides on the internet on how to check these.

Make sure it's not something stupid like a kill switch, or a dodgy sidestand or clutch switch (if the bike needs the clutch pulled in to start.) My bike will turn over but not start (the ignition is cut off) if the sidestand is down and the bike is in gear.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement