Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec

• 08-06-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

So how did it go for everyone else? :)

Don't want to think about it anymore :( I'm just going to focus on everything else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I can't decide! It was kind of hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I know. Milk in question 1! Please tell me I was the only one who wasn't freaked out by this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Short questions: Were easy at the start but after Q.8 i was waffling!

Q.1 was lovely, (A) was a consumer trend graph, I just talked mainly about versatility, availability, when and how they are consumed and range of products and how they are infuenced by consumer needs eg. Low fat milk for low fat diets. I did dehydration- roller drying for milk.

Q.2 diabetes, was nice but I had to bluff on the artifical sweeteners part :(

Q.3 Influences of consumers choices, Availability, Cost, Personal preference etc.
    Think part (B) was the profile of an processed food, I did Cheese

Elective
    Education and work

Overall im very happy, Hoping for minimum of a b2!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I was delighted with the milk! Can't believe they only asked fecking Vit. A though! Ughhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eveyn

ok so before i went into the exam i was looking over protein, it said there was two TYPES ..LBV and HBV. so when i read the short question it said ''name the type of protein present in these foods''
    so at first i wrote down what proteins were in them foods, then it hit me that maybe they meant where they LBV or HBV. im really confused what did yous write

• Advertisement

eveyn wrote: »
    ok so before i went into the exam i was looking over protein, it said there was two TYPES ..LBV and HBV. so when i read the short question it said ''name the type of protein present in these foods''
    so at first i wrote down what proteins were in them foods, then it hit me that maybe they meant where they LBV or HBV. im really confused what did yous write

For eggs it was albumin, Fish would have been either actin or myosin and wheat would have been gluten.

urgggg i had that written down then scribbled it out because it asked for type ...im freaked now :(

urgggg i had that written down then scribbled it out because it asked for type ...im freaked now :(

Thats unfortunate, im sure one of the other short q's you answered can make up for it. Did you do all twelve?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Vodkat wrote: »
    For eggs it was albumin, Fish would have been either actin or myosin and wheat would have been gluten.

yay ;)

My question 1 wasn't great though. I couldn't think of the properties of protien! I'm SO stupid.. Thought of them the second I sealed the damn paper.

And artificial sweeteners? Complete BLUFF :/

Social studies I Bullsh****d and same with social elective..

Hopefully I'll get a B1? :/

Or maybe not.. I'm SO disheartened after English :(

Thats unfortunate, im sure one of the other short q's you answered can make up for it. Did you do all twelve?
    yeah i done all 12 but still thats an easy 6 marks...ah well no point of worrying about it now haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sony0050

Say if you wrote about yoghurt as a food that has undergone extensive processing do you think it bwould be ok?

Sony0050 wrote: »
    Say if you wrote about yoghurt as a food that has undergone extensive processing do you think it bwould be ok?

Umm I think it should have been flour.. You might get away with it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sony0050

But they never ststed a specific food?

I did cheese. There are not many processes of specific foods covered in the book. Just five I think, those being cheese, yogurt, jam, wheat, milk. If they wanted wheat they should have specified, I did cheese as I thought the labeling and packaging were simple.

I did cheese. There are not many processes of specific foods covered in the book. Just five I think, those being cheese, yogurt, jam, wheat, milk. If they wanted wheat they should have specified, I did cheese as I thought the labeling and packaging were simple.

what did you say for the labeling and packaging part, i done cheese also

what did you say for the labeling and packaging part, i done cheese also

Packaging:
    Once its cooled.
    Flexible films
    waxed paper

Labelling:
    Net quantity
    country of origin
    list of ingredients in descending order

Q1, couldnt think of the properties of protein at all...
    I did Q 2 and BLUFFED sweeteners :(
    Q5 and bluffed social & elective.. A2?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I did cheese too! Ha, I could only think of 9 steps, I was so certain there was 10, maybe I just put two in one point.

Th sweetener question was like 'what?'. I know what a bulk sweetener was and what the other one was, but I didn't know it's name. Ah, ah, ah!

Saw the Vitamin A question but could not remember if it was insoluble or soluble - think I said it was not destroyed by heat (well it survives pasteurisation?) and then I bluffed something on UV rays or something. :pac:

Social question was lovely, but I did run out of time and thankfully was able to go back at the end.

I could swear the box within a box, last short question came up in my junior cert (at the time I was just.. what? what is that?). I think it's double insulation. Well I put that down.

Oh well, it seems everyone was stuck on the same questions, I thought everyone else knew everything I didn't know! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Miao

What did any of you think of today's Hons Home Economics papers? I heard that it was awful - especially the two 50 mark questions! Really hard! Why is this subject so broad? Impossible to get through all the course! Wouldn't advise anyone to do it for the LC!

Miao wrote: »
    What did any of you think of today's Hons Home Economics papers? I heard that it was awful - especially the two 50 mark questions! Really hard! Why is this subject so broad? Impossible to get through all the course! Wouldn't advise anyone to do it for the LC!

I have to say I was pleased with the paper, although I would have loved if the Q1 (A) part was a nutritive chart and evaluate the food. But the one that came up wasnt that bad, I dont know exactly what they were expecting our answers to contain so just for Q1 (a) my answer was 2 pages long. I had it clearly laid out with headings and bullet points so they can pick out the main points from those.

I think the home ec course is very manageable, I completed it in one year, Im a repeat and done my leaving cert previously in 2007. I did do home ec last time but had forgotten everything. I put in a lot of work this year and I haope it pays off. Got the highest in the mocks with 72% but have done a lot of study since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I thought the English paper and Home ec paper were the easiest ones I've ever seen :O The Home ec section B and Section C were fan-flipping-tastic. The question on protein... I nearly... Done something rude.

I thought the English paper and Home ec paper were the easiest ones I've ever seen :O The Home ec section B and Section C were fan-flipping-tastic. The question on protein... I nearly... Done something rude.

The protein question was unreal... I drew a lovely diagram for the structure of an amino acid and the peptide bond formation.

The elective question couldnt have been any better. :D:D

What mark are you expecting to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

The protein question was unreal... I drew a lovely diagram for the structure of an amino acid and the peptide bond formation.

The elective question couldnt have been any better. :D:D

What mark are you expecting to get?

I'm expecting to get like a B3 at minimum. MAYBE a c1. But seriously, I awnsered everything and found it all very easy. Guessed some short questions, checked them when I got home and they were right :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smileeey

Hello everyone.
    have to start by saying english and home ec on day one was truly terrible. im going for medicine and was putting myself under immense pressure. I had a meltdown during eng paper one, and to be honest was still incredicly upset going into home ec. I love homeec and was expecting an A1 but i dont know now.

Shorts were a gift. pretty happy there.
    i was a little put off by B1. part (d) as a 20 marker? unusual. i basically scribbled down a few things for it when the time was up.
    pretty happy to see protein though went well for me. my little rhyme of
    Do = Denaturation
    Indonesians = insolubility
    Make = Mailliard reaction
    every = elasticity
    garment = gel formation

I did questions 2 and 3. happy with the diabetes part but the articficial sugars thing was not good. As for question 3 i basically copied out the food choices table. I did wheat didnt even consider doing cheese didnt think i could ? :(
    for wheat it was basically
    clean
    blend
    condition
    break
    classify
    additives
    package
    and a small comment on each. i dunno was it enough.
    for the sale of food and drugs act i desperately wrote down pretty universal things like hygiene, imports and backed by dept of ag like i hadnt a notion but i came up with 10 standard points that i hope will be accepted.

home management elective. i dont know really.
    i went through quickly apartment, detached, and bungalow for housing styles with 3 reasons for popularity. dissapointed with this.

i was happy with planning permission
    and went through building legislation of 1991

i ended up writing about non renewable solar energy which im raging about. I avoided lighting stupidly even though it probably would have a nicer marking scheme.

overall im not sure about 2011 home ec.
    i put everything into it but i dont know will it be enough

best of luck to all x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

After Mocks teacher said "brush up your Elective and your getting at least an A2"
    My elective in the actual exam was superb , just everything else was an epic failure

I got a B1 in the mock, best in the class, was looking for an A1.

Now I am genuinely looking at a C1/mayyyybe a B3. Devastated :(

I'm a med applicant too, guessing that's out the window!

I saw diabetes and thought "great". Finished that and then saw "artificial sweeteners" and realised I should have done Q3 but it was too late :mad:

So annoyed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've always been an A/B student in home-ec...I bawled my way through the exam. Disaster. :(:(

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I've always been an A/B student in home-ec...I bawled my way through the exam. Disaster. :(:(

Same here I was so upset at how bad I did! :(

But did you actually cry through it?! :eek: What did the examiner do/say? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Same here I was so upset at how bad I did! :(

But did you actually cry through it?! :eek: What did the examiner do/say? :(

Yeah I did! Tears all through it. And it didn't help that I'm plagued with hayfever too so my nose was like a tap. I've never been so pathetic in my life.:(

She gave me a tissue, nothing else she could do really!

I couldn't stop thinking about how much my future is messed up because of it.

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Yeah I did! Tears all through it. And it didn't help that I'm plagued with hayfever too so my nose was like a tap. I've never been so pathetic in my life.:(

She gave me a tissue, nothing else she could do really!

I couldn't stop thinking about how much my future is messed up because of it.

Awh no :(

I was the same except I didn't cry.. Funny actually because I'm usually the MOST emotional person ever! Are you a Med applicant too :(

I'm so sad at how bad I did in Home Ec.

Advertisement