Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Mounted Cameras?

• 08-06-2011 4:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I really want to get a camera that I can mount to my bike and/or to my helmet for getting videos when riding. Have any of you guys done this?

I bought one of these a while back - I once mounted it to my helmet but I got the angle wrong and it pointed too far down. I'd love a proper one that I could mount on my handlebars behind the screen to get a proper view that has a bit of wind protection too. I've seen the Gopro cameras they look great but they are not cheap.

This one can be mounted on the inside of some helmets there is a video on youtube but i can't find it right now.

Any others worth looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How much are you willing to pay?
    There is an another HD cam the Contour designed for bike useage but again they aren't that cheap.
    The advantage with them is that they have a very wide angle lens, 110/135deg IIRC this means they cover a good deal of what you would normally see.
    The other option is maybe a SD card HD camcorder with a homemade RAM mount.
    I have a Panasonic SD-9 that I intend on using for this purpose once I get setup with a behind the screen mount.
    edit: There is a cheaper model of camera out as well the midland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

My friend strapped my old HP digital camera to his bike going up the gap, video came out deadly!

This guy...

hp_photosmart_r725_camera.jpg

its old and i didnt use it much anymore, just goes to show you dont really have to splash out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

maameeo wrote: »
    My friend strapped my old HP digital camera to his bike going up the gap, video came out deadly!
    the quality wasn't great now especially on bumpier surfaces. The angle of view was also pretty limited.

You were just amazed by the speed ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

The Don wrote: »
    the quality wasn't great now especially on bumpier surfaces. The angle of view was also pretty limited.

You were just amazed by the speed ;):p

ah for a crappy lil camera taped to a bike the footage was pretty awesome! even the sound was class!

Speed doesnt amaze me, takes a lot to amaze me dude :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

maameeo wrote: »
    Speed doesnt amaze me, takes a lot to amaze me dude :cool:

Steady! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Found another cheap model from 7dayshop
    There is also the Veho Muvi for 32stg which isn't bad, considering it has quite a lot of support and accessories including a waterproof case.
    And its bigger bro the HD version with wireless remote for 116 stg.
    You have a heap of options TBH. I would look up youtube and see what has reasonable quality video at your price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I shot this using a GoPro Hd Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

Shoots in HD, has a loads of attachments based on different situations - helmet, bike, car, surfboard, and so on. I mounted it using the chest mount as it picked up vibrations from the bike which ruined the shot. Check your bike as to which part doesn't vibrate. The helmet mount would make ya look like a knob though.
    Shoots hd so you need good video editor

Pros - waterproof casing (30m's), shoots hd, compact, nice video footage, tons of mount options.
    cons - shooting anything less then 1080p gives fish eye look. Exposure settings (crap when riding into the sun), video files quite large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

reece wrote: »
    I shot this using a GoPro Hd Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

Shoots in HD, has a loads of attachments based on different situations - helmet, bike, car, surfboard, and so on. I mounted it using the chest mount as it picked up vibrations from the bike which ruined the shot. Check your bike as to which part doesn't vibrate. The helmet mount would make ya look like a knob though.
    Shoots hd so you need good video editor

Pros - waterproof casing (30m's), shoots hd, compact, nice video footage, tons of mount options.
    cons - shooting anything less then 1080p gives fish eye look. Exposure settings (crap when riding into the sun), video files quite large.

Class - very good !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 herospur

Zascar wrote: »
    I really want to get a camera that I can mount to my bike and/or to my helmet for getting videos when riding. Have any of you guys done this?

I bought one of these a while back - I once mounted it to my helmet but I got the angle wrong and it pointed too far down. I'd love a proper one that I could mount on my handlebars behind the screen to get a proper view that has a bit of wind protection too. I've seen the Gopro cameras they look great but they are not cheap.

This one can be mounted on the inside of some helmets there is a video on youtube but i can't find it right now.

Any others worth looking at?
    Check out this shop he sold the camera for viewing offline caught on helmet I had to buy it cheap and see that he has a free delivery service too.http://www.camerahelmet.co.cc/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Here is the video I was looking for

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-cam-SPYCAM-MD80-DC-/330496873783?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item4cf3261537
    About €18, with free delivery

I just bought one, will get it in a week or tow, i'll let yiz know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bear in mind you're recording evidence against yourself should you be a bit naughty on the road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Bear in mind you're recording evidence against yourself should you be a bit naughty on the road ;)

true but maybe its also evidence for when the idiot in the cage pulls out in front of you.....

Just found this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan - he's the guy who put up the first proper reviews of the 808 keychain

I mailed him and he said he has two helmet mounted cameras on the way to him from China and he'll be posting reviews soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Zascar wrote: »
    Same thing for under €10 here (w/o the MicroSD card, also).

Advertisement