Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent

Options
  • 08-06-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

So I'm moving to Dublin shortly and will be renting an apartment. I've been an owner occupier for the last 6 years so renting is kind of new to me.

I'm wondering how much of a discount of the quoted rental rate is normal, if any?
    So for example if an apartment is advertised (on daft) for €900pm, would I expect to get it for much less then this or is there is there any room for negotiation?
    I guess maybe it depends on the location, property, landlord, etc.
    If it makes a difference, I'd be looking for a 1/2 bed apartment somewhere between the IFSC, Dublin 4 and Blackrock.

Thanks for any advice - just don't want to get fleeced!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

Hi Giveth,

Check the listing date to see if it has been on a while. If so, you might be able to get €50-€100 off a €900 listing price. Having said this, properties in some areas of Dublin are going quickly and are getting the listing price.

As I'm sure you can guess, a lot of it will depend on the landlord and his/her situation.

Three very recent examples of decent reductions (I work for an agent):
    • Listed at €1300 went for €1125 (Dublin 8)
    • Listed at €1900 went for €1700 (Dublin 2)
    • Listed at €1900 went for €1500 (Dublin 4)

I hope this helps although I'm sure you are aware of most of the above.

Good luck,
    Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

IrishPropertyWatch is a very good resource for researching prices and the length of time properties are on the market, rental and buy

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Advertisement