Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Upgrading an Old Optiplex GX620

Options
  • 08-06-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was recently given 3 old Dell Optiplex GX620 machines. I'd like to upgrade them to reasonable spec within a limited budget. I don't believe there's any point in purchasing anything too expensive given the base-standard stock components. I'm really just looking for any advice on what to look out for, any recommendations and possible places where I might be able to get a bulk :) discount on purchases as I will be getting parts for all 3 computers.

Here are the current specs:
    • CPU: Intel Pentium D Dual Core 2.8GHz
    • RAM: 1Gb (2x512 DDR2 RAM)
    • O/S: Windows 7 Pro (Can be downgraded to XP if advised)
    • GRAPHICS: Integrated
    • M/BOARD: AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
    • H/DRIVE: 80GB WDC 7200RPM

I was thinking of just upgrading the RAM and purchasing a new PCI-e graphics card. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially with regard to choosing a suitable graphics card. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Been looking at the following:

Graphics Card

Memory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

W7 is fine if you think it runs smoothly. Do the boards actually have PCI-E slots?
    There was someone on adverts selling 30 x1300s which would be an improvement... not really gaming standard and probably not for HD videos.

Those hard drives are probably very slow. I had a few 80GB WD HDDs from Dell and they would be less than half of today's speeds.

What do you want to do with these machines?

Thanks for the reply,

I've checked the M/Board and they have 1 x PCIx16, 2 x PCI and 1 x PCIx1, I think ;)

We're both looking to keep one machine each for work/light gaming etc. Therefore, I'd like to see what's the best setup available at a reasonable price. I'd spend more if it was worth it. However, I'm limited by the Motherboard and PSU (300W) and I don't see any sense in replacing those as I may as well just build a PC from scratch then.

I could probably purchase an extra hard-drive if that's necessary. Would have to replace the 80gb I guess as the PSU might not have the power to run 2 hd's?

The HD5670 card above does not require it's own power connector from the PSU and draws power from the PCI slot instead. Therefore, I thought it might be okay for the current setup, even though manufacturer guidelines state 400W min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I do what you are doing. I'd consider SSD, simply because it can give an old machine a boost, and you can take it with you to another machine. But its probably last thing on the list. RAM to 4GB and a mid range GFX card which is easy on the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Thats an old machine, would not spend much on it unless you can refit the stuff into a new board.

SSD is the first choice.

• Advertisement

cgarrad wrote: »
    Thats an old machine, would not spend much on it unless you can refit the stuff into a new board.

SSD is the first choice.

Would SSD's really offer that much of a boost in performance? They're pretty expensive for their capacity and I don't really know much about them. Do they exist in 3.5" Form Factor? Are they value for money in terms of the performance increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

stick 2 new modules of memory into those machines as i have tried to put new memory with the old into loads of those 620's and it doesn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I ain't an expert, I'm more like a complete noob so don't take my comments too seriously.

I would agree with the posters above about the SSD, in most computers all the parts such as CPU, RAM, GPU, etc... all work at nanosecond speeds where as a normal HDD runs at milliseconds so in most computers the HDD is a major bottleneck in the system.
    Any SSD runs at twice the speed of most HDD's and considering your 80Gb one's are old a fairly 'cheap' SSD should offer some considerable performance increase to you. But again I am not very well up with this kind of thing so I could be wrong.
    Here is a few 3.5" SSD's
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/hard-drives-ssd/solid-state-drives-%28ssd-35-525%29-64gb-1tb

As far as RAM goes, I would look for some RAM with high bus/memory speeds to get the most out of it, and also I would try get 2 chips as they will work slightly faster than a single chip.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33150&agid=677
    This RAM seems good, but again remember I am not very well-up with all this building computers, I am just offering my views on what might be good.

Advertisement