Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleaching and dying hair?

• 08-06-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im planning on dying my hair purple, has anyone any advice on bleaching darkish red hair to blonde and then dying purple over it? any good bleaching kits out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Hey all,

Im planning on dying my hair purple, has anyone any advice on bleaching darkish red hair to blonde and then dying purple over it? any good bleaching kits out there?

Go to a professional. With your current hair colour as a base it will just go bright orange when you put the bleach on it. For the purple to take in a decent and bright fashion you'd need it fairly white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

would it not just go orange in the hairdressers aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

would it not just go orange in the hairdressers aswell?

Yes it would.

If I was doing it i'd use blue poweder bleach with 30% peroxide. Leave it on for 45 mins. See how that's lifted the colour. I reckon since you've got red in your hair that it might need two go's.

Then you'll have lovely orange hair that you can use the Crazy Colors or Manic Panic or Special Effects if you can get your hands on it. Leave it on for a few hours.

I dye my fringe purple. PM me if you want to see a picture.

Here's a good website: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/purplepage1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

You have to take into account if you already have colour in your hair too. are you dying natural hair or already coloured hair?

im dying half coloured hair and half natural hair. the dye has grown out quite a bit now. thanks for the info stench blossoms!!

• Advertisement

Yes it would.

If I was doing it i'd use blue poweder bleach with 30% peroxide. Leave it on for 45 mins. See how that's lifted the colour. I reckon since you've got red in your hair that it might need two go's.

Then you'll have lovely orange hair that you can use the Crazy Colors or Manic Panic or Special Effects if you can get your hands on it. Leave it on for a few hours.

I dye my fringe purple. PM me if you want to see a picture.

Here's a good website: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/purplepage1.html

Ive ordered two of these kits, would they be any use? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270749409159&var=570020353815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeh any bleaching kit should do.

Did you order 30 or 40 vol?

I ordered two of the 40's

Have you ever used bleach on your hair before?

It can tingle a bit and be a small bit itchy.

Here are the stages of bleaching

hair-bleach-stages.jpg

i've used it before on my fringe, not my whole head though. My hair is between red-brown to red now. So i'm assuming i'll go orange the first round of bleaching. How long can i wait till i bleach the second time? Few days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I've had ever colour hair under the sun and including white platinum blonde hair, 90% of this dying was done at home.

I said go to the hair dressers because they'd know what mix to put on it to cover up the "orange" hair with a purple mix that will actually take brightly.

Bleaching already dyed hair twice with a strong volume of peroxide is going to leave your hair looking like a bush and also might burn the head off of you. When I had the white blonde hair I had to keep it short for this reason and used toners along with a less powerful bleach.

The first time I dyed my whole head with bleach I put a bright red over it as the pigments are the same. To get to the white blonde I got highlights in very short hair first and then put a head full of bleach on a few weeks later and kept it up for about two years till my hair eventually turned to chewing gum.

But if its what you want to do, its what you want to do. I know manic panic and stargazer have slight conditioning properties to them and if you check out the hair dresser supply shops there some in every county you can get salon brand semi permanents. They might not sell you these but its worth a try. Also so best of luck all the same.

i've used it before on my fringe, not my whole head though. My hair is between red-brown to red now. So i'm assuming i'll go orange the first round of bleaching. How long can i wait till i bleach the second time? Few days?

What you should do is get a really good conditioning treatment and use it every second day for a week and then dye again. Alternatively, what I do, is just do it all in one go and then use the treatments everyday for a week.
    wild_cat wrote: »
    I've had ever colour hair under the sun and including white platinum blonde hair, 90% of this dying was done at home.

I said go to the hair dressers because they'd know what mix to put on it to cover up the "orange" hair with a purple mix that will actually take brightly.

Bleaching already dyed hair twice with a strong volume of peroxide is going to leave your hair looking like a bush and also might burn the head off of you. When I had the white blonde hair I had to keep it short for this reason and used toners along with a less powerful bleach.

The first time I dyed my whole head with bleach I put a bright red over it as the pigments are the same. To get to the white blonde I got highlights in very short hair first and then put a head full of bleach on a few weeks later and kept it up for about two years till my hair eventually turned to chewing gum.

White blonde doesn't cause your hair to turn like chewing gum. I've had my hair platinum for quite a while now, with home dying and if you look after it properly this doesn't happen.

If OP, you are afraid of the purple not taking to the 'orange' you could use a toner to get your hair white. L'oreal Luo Colour P02 is what I use to get my hair white.

well to be honest wild_cat i'm not paying a hairdresser over €100 for something i can do at home for less then €40. if i ended up with orange hair after spending that money id be furious.

the majority of my friends bleach their hair all the time and they all recommended using a really good conditioner for 2 weeks afterwards and all was well. thanks for your help stench!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

That stuff you ordered will be fine but it would have been just as cheap to go to a salon supplies store and buy a big bottle of bleach and tub of powder.

I recently went from dyed black to blonde and I used 30 vol bleach, left it on for around 30 mins, washed it out, put loads of moroccan oil in, dried it and bleached it again straight afterwards, I did that a few times and my hair was fine afterwards, 30 vol is much less harsh on your hair than the 40 vol.
    I wouldn't use the 40 vol if I were you as you don't really need it so you should probably dilute the 40 vol to 30 vol with water.

I think the reason a lot of people damage their hair so badly is because they only buy one bleaching kit so they leave the kit on their hair for ages and ages to try to get it light enough because they don't have any more bleach and they end up destroying their hair in the process.

well ive bought two bleaching kits, i wouldnt leave one on for an extra amount of time to make up for it. thanks for replying though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I was hoping to do this at some point in the summer :)
    Would any of you recommend a hairdresser in Dublin? City preferably. I'm a bit nervy around hairdressers and I'd rather be told who's good in advance.

well ive bought two bleaching kits, i wouldnt leave one on for an extra amount of time to make up for it. thanks for replying though!

Ah I wasn't say you would but i've known people who buy 1 or 2 kits of bleach for their hair (long hair which you're going to need a lot of bleach for) and then they realise their hair hasn't got as light as they want it after the recommended development time so they just leave it on in the hope it will go the right colour and it's just asking for trouble if you ask me!

Good luck with it though and make sure you condition well :)

oh i know a few people who would just keep going with the bleach aswell! thanks, gonna need all the luck i can get haha!

Post up pics of the finished result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 raci

Hi all,

Does any one know of a Salon Supplies shop in Dublin that will sell toner and peroxide without you having a hairdressers card?

Tayla and Stench Blossoms, you mentioned professional toners and peroxide, where did you get these?

I've just bleached my hair to a pale yellow but can't get a toner anywhere.
    Terrisales wouldn't sell it to me,haven't tried Sally's yet but I imagine you need a card for there too?

thanks in advance

Hope I can get something soon as I can't be walking round with Big Bird yellow hair...

• Advertisement

Hi Raci, I'm not in Dublin but i've bought in Sallys and another beauty supply shop without having a card. In Sally's i've bought a few "professional use only" items without actually being a professional, I've bought some toners and hair dye removers (not bleach), they do ask if you're in the trade and I always said no but they still sold it to me, I know that they're not supposed to see them and I've heard of them refusing people sometimes but I presumed that it was because they probably walked in to the shop and acted like they were clueless, I just picked up the stuff and didn't ask any questions and got it no problem. I didn't get the bleach in Sally's as I had already got it from another shop so maybe they're stricter with that but I don't know:confused:

As I said, I already had the bleach because there is another beauty supply shop near me where I sent my boyfriend with a list, peroxide, bleach powder and toners and she sold it to him no problem so maybe you might be better off looking for a smaller beauty supply shop somewhere if you can't get it in Sallys!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I didn't think there was a Sallys around these parts though?

Anywho, I've gotten one of those card thingys from Terrisales. I had to fill in a form (literally just name and address) the first time I bought stuff harsher than Crazy Colour - ever since then, they just scan it and thats it. They have VAT free days too about one Thursday a month. I ended up owning 10, 20 and 40% developer, as I mess about with my hair quite a bit, but they're only about €6 a bottle.

Also, you don't need very bleached hair to put purple in. You definitely wouldn't need white hair, and I'd say you should give it a shot after the first round of bleaching.

I buy mine in Terri Sales in Dublin. L'oreal Luo Color PO2.

Never had a problem getting it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 raci

Just got some Luo in Sally's so that should sort things out

Thanks for the help and quick replies everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Yournamehere!

I recently bleached my own hair for the first time.
    I was really nervous and I had been thinking about it for weeks.
    I kept thinking that maybe I should go to a salon but it was just too expensive.

My friend who is a hairdresser advised me to not use a creme peroxide over 30% because unless you are totally confident with what you are doing it wont turn out good.

I also went for the blue bleach powder. i wasnt aware that there was different types:-) The white is to make your hair platinum blonde and blue to lift the colour.

I had to reapply the bleach three times which was a bit scary. I have previously had dyed red hair and it was difficult to get all of the colour off.

Im sure you know already but always leave the roots until the very end. The heat of your scalp activates your bleach and you will notice the roots bleach up really quickly.

Once you have the bleach in, put a bag or clingfilm over your hair and that help it to work quicker.

The only problem i had with mine was that i wanted bright red hair but ended up with pink because the hair colour I put in looked different on the box. But to be honest I am liking the pink now so all good!

I hope this is helpful. I found it difficult to get advice on bleaching your hair online that made sense so I hope this can help you.

Advertisement