Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

€50 for us today on our €100,000 batch. Total winnings since May €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

September and October a wash-out.
    Last win - €50 on 26th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Nothing again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€50 today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 28th October 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

• Advertisement

€50 today!
    Last win, €50, 26th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

There is no point in me posting here every week informing ye all that I've won nothing, last win 19th August €50 euro.
    This week I have actually won NOTHING!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Winnings on 28th October 2016: €50
    Last win 02 Sept 2016: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €700
    Total winnings since Oct 2016 on €20k: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Finally got my Bonds purchased this week after a mess up when purchasing a month ago. Should be in for next weeks draw, hopefully I can be as lucky as pbwinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Foresty

Is pbwinner lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Well... Would he have done better on the highest interest savings accounts the past 5 and a half years? Certainly savings account interest rates at present are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Foresty wrote: »
    Is pbwinner lucky?

Lighting candles weekly in the GPO probably helps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Charliefoxtrot

NTMA have moved the Goalposts. They recently changed the number of total prizes given weekly and the number of 1 million euro prizes paid out. I had €18,000 invested which I estimated gave me a 1 in 15 chance of winning something every week. I believe my chances of winning something every week now since the change has drifted out to about 1 in 30. As a result I am withdrawing all my money immediately. I am getting into the stock market. I'm not an expert on stocks so I'm going to buy an index that tracks the American Stock Market. I should over the next five plus years get something back for my investment rather than wasting my money on Prize Bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Guitardan777

I have encountered a lot of open hostility towards Prize Bonds from some people in the Financial Field,If I seek advice about them I am told they are a waste of time and I would be an Idiot to invest in them and even one article headlined recently"Prize bonds for Prize Idiots?" which again pushes the skepticism about Prize Bond agenda and shows the open vehemence against them,one of the reasons I discovered for this was that Prize Bonds are the last Bastion,the Alamo if you like of no risk Saving,the Financial "experts" hate when you invest in them and would rather you invest in THEIR Schemes with YOUR money of course! They hate that people have this last refuge for their hard earned cash and rue the Day Prize Bonds were invented, Prize Bonds have served me quite well of late,I personally have made €750 since the beginning of the year on Prize Bonds which is a pleasant if not mind blowing return but still better than any savings account will offer you as we speak.(Mind you I got my LPT envelope the other day and it has swallowed most of my winnings!) They give with one hand and take with the other but I am sure I will recoup some more Prizes even before the Christmas is out,The point is that they are the last way of making a few extra quid with NO RISK,all other Investment Schemes these days carry risk,I am often struck by "Investment Seminars" that one reads about,the guy in the advert may proclaim one can make very handsome returns etc but if he is so clever why does he need YOUR money? While the Stock market and Shares are attractive but very risky,the Prize Bond has been a little haven for me and every few weeks there is a little white envelope with that cream paper in the window of said envelope,I always get it on a Wednesday morning,sometimes Thursday and it is the perfect companion to my breakfast,sometimes €100,most times €50 but one can agree better than a bill! I will keep saving in Prize Bonds til Interest starts to go up and that may be Generations away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have encountered a lot of open hostility towards Prize Bonds from some people in the Financial Field,If I seek advice about them I am told they are a waste of time and I would be an Idiot to invest in them and even one article headlined recently"Prize bonds for Prize Idiots?" which again pushes the skepticism about Prize Bond agenda and shows the open vehemence against them,one of the reasons I discovered for this was that Prize Bonds are the last Bastion,the Alamo if you like of no risk Saving,the Financial "experts" hate when you invest in them and would rather you invest in THEIR Schemes with YOUR money of course! They hate that people have this last refuge for their hard earned cash and rue the Day Prize Bonds were invented, Prize Bonds have served me quite well of late,I personally have made €750 since the beginning of the year on Prize Bonds which is a pleasant if not mind blowing return but still better than any savings account will offer you as we speak.(Mind you I got my LPT envelope the other day and it has swallowed most of my winnings!) They give with one hand and take with the other but I am sure I will recoup some more Prizes even before the Christmas is out,The point is that they are the last way of making a few extra quid with NO RISK,all other Investment Schemes these days carry risk,I am often struck by "Investment Seminars" that one reads about,the guy in the advert may proclaim one can make very handsome returns etc but if he is so clever why does he need YOUR money? While the Stock market and Shares are attractive but very risky,the Prize Bond has been a little haven for me and every few weeks there is a little white envelope with that cream paper in the window of said envelope,I always get it on a Wednesday morning,sometimes Thursday and it is the perfect companion to my breakfast,sometimes €100,most times €50 but one can agree better than a bill! I will keep saving in Prize Bonds til Interest starts to go up and that may be Generations away.
    Do you get much open hostility about paragraphs?

Great that you are winning, but it's meaningless if you don't give us a return figure. I could say I've won 150 this year and its been fantastic - awful on €100k, absolutely rigged on €1000.

Kbc's flex saver and EBS family saver offer some return on your money, with no luck involved or risk. You'll get your 1% (after tax) without needing all your money tied up for the period.

I it is the perfect companion to my breakfast,sometimes €100,most times €50 but one can agree better than a bill! I will keep saving in Prize Bonds til Interest starts to go up and that may be Generations away.
    Gosh sometimes €100, well you are lucky, I have never won €100 or a €1,000 don't mention the €50,000 or the million but can I ask the most important question, how much is your holding, you see that's were the odds start.
    My holding, I purchased €20,000 batch August 2015, won 6 €50euros total €300 euro, June 2016 purchased €30,000 batch won €50euro 19th August, that was my last win, the €30,000 batch hasn't been lucky so far, then my 100 PBs from the 1980s 2 €75euros, but it's has always been the lowest prize, if I saw a €100 at this stage I think I'd have a heart attack.
    Anyway, I live in hope, I dream big and yes tomorrow is Friday, after my 31 year relationship with prize bonds, maybe tomorrow will be my day, Fexco make my day LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Charliefoxtrot

The prize Bond fund is worth 2.6 billion euros. So at €6.25 per bond that means there are 416 million prize bonds out there. I had €18,000 invested in Prize Bonds which bought me 2880 prize bonds. They award on average 5800 prizes pet week.....so
    416000000/2880=144444
    So I have a 1 in 144444 chance of winning the top prize every week and...
    144444/5800=25 (24.9 rounded)
    I have a 1 in 25 chance of winning something every week.
    Before they reduced the number of weekly prizes awarded my chances of winning a prize each week were 1 in 15. :(

Sorry you have no new winners :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But you deserve a prize for being the first to post "Sorry you have no new winners" here each week :D

my3cents wrote: »
    But you deserve a prize for being the first to post "Sorry you have no new winners" here each week :D
    Ah thanks - self-employed and waiting for the elusive biggie each week to put up 'Gone on holidays' sign!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

If my figures are correct it would appear the PB fund is now about 2,780,329,412 Euro as of the end of October 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 444,852,706 bonds.

During October I reckon the PB fund grew by 3,058,823 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 489,412 bonds in each draw during November compared to October.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 145,658 Euro for each working day during October.

June's daily growth €1,786,487 old rate 1.25%
    July's daily growth €1,500,280 new rate .85%
    August's daily growth €1,529,411 @ .85%
    September's daily growth €1,251,336 @ .85%
    October's daily growth €145,658

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Nothing. I'm saving myself for the big one next week. No point messing about with €50!

If my figures are correct it would appear the PB fund is now about 2,780,329,412 Euro as of the end of October 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 444,852,706 bonds.

During October I reckon the PB fund grew by 3,058,823 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 489,412 bonds in each draw during November compared to October.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 145,658 Euro for each working day during October.

June's daily growth €1,786,487 old rate 1.25%
    July's daily growth €1,500,280 new rate .85%
    August's daily growth €1,529,411 @ .85%
    September's daily growth €1,251,336 @ .85%
    October's daily growth €145,658
    That seems like a huge decrease. No typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Taylor365 wrote: »
    That seems like a huge decrease. No typo?

I was hoping somebody would tell me that I've made a mistake but I've doubled checked my figures and thats the answer I got.
    Dont understand myself, why such a huge drop ??

I was hoping somebody would tell me that I've made a mistake but I've doubled checked my figures and thats the answer I got.
    Dont understand myself, why such a huge drop ??
    Well, roll on the minus figures next month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 4th November 2016: 0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings on 4th November 2016: 0

That's a decent return, probably be lucky to even get a €1000 in a deposit account.

Same here.....

Another €50 for me on 4th instant.
    €50 last week too...28th October.

• Advertisement

Bought 100K of prize bonds on 12th October,
    First win today 50 euro!!!
    Good start

Advertisement