Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 2nd December 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

This is getting monotonous...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Sarn

I managed to win €50 today but the number of wins has fallen off a cliff since June. Last win was almost two months ago when before I'd win effectively twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

If my figures are correct it would appear the PB fund is now about 2,828,658,824 Euro as of the end of November 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 452,585,412 bonds.

During November I reckon the PB fund grew by 48,329,413 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 7,732,706 bonds in each draw during December compared to November.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 2,101,279 Euro for each working day during November.

June's daily growth €1,786,487 old rate 1.25%
    July's daily growth €1,500,280 new rate .85%
    August's daily growth €1,529,411 @ .85%
    September's daily growth €1,251,336 @ .85%
    October's daily growth €145,658 @ .85%
    November's daily growth €2,101,279 @ .85

It would seem to me that a lot of prize bonds purchased in October were not reflected in Novembers prize fund ??

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

''Congratulations you have new winners'' €50 euro today, last win August 19th, this is the 2nd win on 30k batch, last win on 20k batch 22nd July 2016.

Sarn wrote: »
    I managed to win €50 today but the number of wins has fallen off a cliff since June. Last win was almost two months ago when before I'd win effectively twice a month.
    What's your holding if you don't mind me asking, ''effectively winning twice a month'' ether you are very lucky or you've a large holding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    What's your holding if you don't mind me asking, ''effectively winning twice a month'' ether you are very lucky or you've a large holding.

Thirteen wins up to 3rd June and four since then on €125k.

Edit: for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Im signing up for this bond tracker what do i put in "group" section?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

'Sorry' again ... looks like I won't make the 1 per cent return at this stage ...

Anything you like ... 'from santa/tax rebate/lotto winnings'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nothing again on 60k, these are just a joke anymore, guaranteed if I stick it in shares or a pension we'll be straight into a crash aswell, wish there was somewhere decent to leave savings these days but I suppose the government wants you to spend spend spend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

2 X €50 for us today. €50 on our €100k batch and our first win on the €20k batch we bought a few months ago.

Just leave it blank, mine is blank, maybe it's for syndicates or other shared ownerships.

Thargor wrote: »
    Nothing again on 60k, these are just a joke anymore, guaranteed if I stick it in shares or a pension we'll be straight into a crash aswell, wish there was somewhere decent to leave savings these days but I suppose the government wants you to spend spend spend...
    I know, I share your pain, but what keeps me going, I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Nothing today.
    Last win, €50, on 4th November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Cork Lass wrote: »
    2 X €50 for us today. €50 on our €100k batch and our first win on the €20k batch we bought a few months ago.

Can I ask how you got the initial sum to invest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Lekrub wrote: »

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Lekrub wrote: »

No.

Fair enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

lol ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A few things about prizes.

https://www.statesavings.ie/PrizebondsApp/DrawResults.aspx

Without fail in every draw Dublin and Cork combined win just over half of all the prizes. This also held true when the smallest prize was €75 and there were over 9,000 prizes in each draw compared to 6,000 odd now. Other counties get a fairly consistent number e.g. the range for Louth seems to be between 60 and 90. Leitrim and Longford usually get the fewest prizes. A small number goes to the North and about a hundred to the rest of the world.

Newer serial numbers win more prizes than older numbers. Because there are more of them in the draw, with many of the older numbers having been cashed in. But in every draw even some bonds from the 1950's when the scheme started win prizes. Click on "View all prizes awarded" and then on the Winning Bond column to see this. Clicking once gives the oldest first, clicking again gives the newest. This can also be done for each county, and for International.

In every draw, among the newer serial numbers there are examples of bonds close together getting prizes. But also plenty of examples of where someone might have a block holding worth €1 million or even €2 million and not get any prize. There is no advantage in holding a large block over having lots of individual bonds or smaller blocks to the same value.

The details of every draw going back to June can be viewed on the link, if anyone is interested. A new draw appears on the site every Friday at approx 12.30pm.

Not much hope of anyone with a single bond getting the big prize.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/the-odds-of-winning-with-prize-bonds-lengthen-1.2680135

There were some people who won small amounts from time to time but they were outnumbered by the losers. None of this is surprising, as the odds of a prize bond winning the top prize of €1 million is about one in 300 million, which makes the Lotto, with its odds of one in eight million, seem tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Bought €5000 bonds on 29th Nov, won €50! Delighted with myself

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Icsics wrote: »

haha, straight away win, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Icsics wrote: »

What purchase method did you use out of interest?

I've only bought via bank drafts and between payment in the post office and getting the prize bond cert can take anywhere from 10-14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Negative_G wrote: »
    What purchase method did you use out of interest?

I've only bought via bank drafts and between payment in the post office and getting the prize bond cert can take anywhere from 10-14 days.
    I transferred money from savings bonds. Surprisingly efficient & straightforward. Haven't got the actual bonds, so a nice little surprise. Not expecting anymore prizes now tho!

I have bought some (small values) Christmas presents in past few weeks .... fortnight later still no bonds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have bought some (small values) Christmas presents in past few weeks .... fortnight later still no bonds!
    Rang them last week:

'I'd like to buy some bonds please'

'Do you have an account number and are you registered?'

'Yes here is the acc number.'

'I'm afraid you're not registered.'

'I've been buying pbs through direct debit for the previous 2 years??'

'Sorry about this but we'll have to take your details and register you. You should be able to buy bonds next week.'

'FANtastic.' :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Im cashing some in. Where is the serial number on the prize bond?

Isnt it top right?

2 X €50 today so a 1.03% return this year (.7% return last year so much improved!).

Hope there are plenty of smiley faces on these posts today and for the next few weeks!

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Two fifty euro wins today on 30k delighted :) last win August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 9th December 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

Advertisement