Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Not versus prize bond returns

One last question seeing as your so knowledgeable and informative about the S&P 500.

Is there a discussion forum/thread for the S&P 500, where the investors meet up at least once a week to discuss their ongoing investment, if it could be called that and occasionally ignore other investment discussions that totally miss the point of what the OP actual started the thread for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

One last question seeing as your so knowledgeable and informative about the S&P 500.

Is there a discussion forum/thread for the S&P 500, where the investors meet up at least once a week to discuss their ongoing investment, if it could be called that and occasionally ignore other investment discussions that totally miss the point of what the OP actual started the thread for ??

Very first post from 2011;
    ''Purpose of this thread is to give some indication of the success rate of PBs for the ordinary punter as I assume €25k is large amount to invest in one go.

Planning to keep it in there for a year or so.''

Very first post from 2011;
    ''Purpose of this thread is to give some indication of the success rate of PBs for the ordinary punter as I assume €25k is large amount to invest in one go.

Planning to keep it in there for a year or so.''

Exactly, The success rate of PBs not the S&P 500 :)

Exactly, The success rate of PBs not the S&P 500 :)

over the course of one year or so. Its been 5.

over the course of one year or so. Its been 5.

1 year, 5 years, 10 years, what difference does it make !!!

• Advertisement

1 year, 5 years, 10 years, what difference does it make !!!

2 words.
    Compound Growth.

2 words.
    Compound Growth.

Your still missing the point !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

2 words.
    Compound Growth.

Two more words.

Nobody cares.

Negative_G wrote: »
    Two more words.

Nobody cares.

Ah yes the response I was 'expecting'. Toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

30k prize bond in since April 2015
    Total winnings 500 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Ah yes the response I was 'expecting'. Toys out of the pram.

No toys out of the pram. Just complete indifference.

Thanks for the input all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

It got worse and worse for me as the year progressed ...:(:(:(:(

Hope we all have better luck in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

€50euro today on 20k batch, last win on 20k batch 22nd July 2016.
    Nothing on 30k batch, last win on 30k batch 2nd December 2016.

Today a lucky bond holder from Galway won the million, an ABF bond, purchased in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us since 9th December. Well done to the winners, hope we all have good luck in 2017.

50euro today, nice end to the year.
    150 since 25th October on 100,000

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Nothing for us since 9th December. Well done to the winners, hope we all have good luck in 2017.

Actually won 2 x €50 in last Fridays draw. It didn't show up when I checked but it's there now. Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ordered prizebonds 3 weeks ago and still yet to receive them.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Ordered prizebonds 3 weeks ago and still yet to receive them.

Fantastic.

Ordered some 2 weeks ago so guess I have a long wait in store

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bubblypop wrote: »
    50euro today, nice end to the year.
    150 since 25th October on 100,000

That's a poor return? Surely 100k invested in a savings account would pay more than that?

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's a poor return? Surely 100k invested in a savings account would pay more than that?

I only bought them in October. I need to have access to the money at short notice though, so I can't tie it up in any long term savings or investments.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

Yea, year end seems to work out much the same as the banks for most here who have the larger amounts. Bit of crack with a possible big win though....But I don't believe it's a legit draw at all.

Millionaire raffle pure dodgy aswell new year's, gone off the TV. No faith in draw you can't see.

Lottery is gone to hell since new crowd got it, more expensive to do, harder to win, less to charity, they keep all uncollected prizes - use to put that back in of a bank holiday. Raffle had 150000 extra numbers in it but prizes stayed the same, handy 3 million for them. Daily million hasn't been won in over a year I saw a thread on here saying. Private draw aswell, probably isint even a draw if ya only knew.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's actually not too bad seeing as it's only been there for 2 months. It works out about €760 a year. Given pricebonds are DIRT free you'd need to be getting about 1.5% on a savings account to make the same money. Saying that, the rate is more volatile. It could easily be the case where he wins nothing for the rest of the year and it ends up being a terrible return or he could win a huge prize and do much better than a savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Hi guys quick question how long does it take for prize bond guys to give back ur money if u decide to cash them in ??

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Hi guys quick question how long does it take for prize bond guys to give back ur money if u decide to cash them in ??
    There's a waiting period of 90 days after you purchase them. Then it only takes a week or so to get the money.
    http://www.statesavings.ie/Downloads/PrizeBondsFAQs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 6th January 2017: 0
    Last win 23rd December 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€50 :) Thank God for a good start! happy and Prosperous New Year to you all!

Well done to the winners. Nothing for us this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

€50 for me on 50k, was starting to think they'd forgotten about me. My relationship with PBs is rapidly approaching its end now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lurker1

1 in 300 million oddd of winning a million

Read through that article and it has me curious. At this moment in time, how many prize bonds would you need to hold to make the odds of winning the top prize equivalent to the 1 in 8 million chance you have of winning the lotto. To answer this, we would need to know the following:

Are the odds given in the article per draw or per year or what? Assuming it's per draw and 1 bond or lotto ticket is one chance:
    The Lotto(only including the main national lottery draw) has a draw twice a week. So you have 2 chances at 1/8,000,000 odds to win every week.

The Prize Bonds draw is every three months (assuming 13 weeks, or 26 half-weeks for this example). Therefore, every week we have 1/13th of a 1/300,000,000 chance every week of winning the top prize.

Weekly odds of winning the top Prize:
    Lotto= 2/8,000,000, PB= 1/3,900,000,000

Lotto= 0.25, PB=0.00025641025

Lotto/PB = 975.

So I am assuming I have missed some fundamental maths problem with the above :p. I have calculated 975 bonds as the magic number if you were to give up the lotto and to save you money in Prize bonds instead, with the same chance of winning the top prize. I am not factoring in the smaller prizes, sharing the lotto, and the fact that the odds of the PB draw changes based on the number of bonds, whereas the lotto odds changes based on the number of balls etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Nothing this week, last win 30th December 2016 €50 euro on 20k batch.
    20k batch purchased August 2015, total wins €350euro.
    30k batch purchased June 2016 total wins €100 euro.

Advertisement