Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is it worth investing 10,000 in prize bonds? How would you go about it? The success rate isn't great going by evidence here but better than nothing!

I have €10K for a few years. I can only see back to March 2014 on the Prize Bonds site, but in each of 2014, 2015 and 2016 I won 2 €50's which is 1% DIRT free. Nothing this year to date. Below are the details of my wins in 2016.

14 October 2016 €50 GI472076

13 May 2016 €50 GI471714

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

Is it worth investing 10,000 in prize bonds? How would you go about it? The success rate isn't great going by evidence here but better than nothing!

I have 40000 invested with 4 years. No win, considering selling soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

imonboard wrote: »
    I wouldnt have said that was possible tbh, it could be worth ringing them and making sure everythings okay with your details and bond numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

Thargor wrote: »
    I wouldnt have said that was possible tbh, it could be worth ringing them and making sure everythings okay with your details and bond numbers.
    Do they email if you win or just post cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

They post chq but you can search online to check your numbers. I agree with Thargor.

• Advertisement

Repeat post

Repeat post

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Ancient numbers (from the 1950's) win in every draw. You can go on the Prize Bonds site and put the winners in order of oldest to newest or vice versa. See my explanation on Page 214.
    That's correct 4 6 digits bonds from 1957 won this week, but what intrigues me is where are these winners now, are they alive or dead, if they were 20 years old when they purchased these bonds, they would be 80 years old now and maybe no longer at their address or maybe no longer alive, so many of these old bond end up on the growing list of ''Unclaimed and Uncashed Prizes''
    Nothing for me this week, last win 30th December 2016 €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Definitely very unusual, as Thargor says, check if everything is ok, details and bond numbers etc.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Definitely very unusual, as Thargor says, check if everything is ok, details and bond numbers etc.......

And win €50 the following week in this random draw just for enquiring like so many others in the thread.

• Advertisement

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    That's correct 4 6 digits bonds from 1957 won this week, but what intrigues me is where are these winners now, are they alive or dead, if they were 20 years old when they purchased these bonds, they would be 80 years old now and maybe no longer at their address or maybe no longer alive, so many of these old bond end up on the growing list of ''Unclaimed and Uncashed Prizes''
    Nothing for me this week, last win 30th December 2016 €50.

At around €2 million it is a very very small proportion of what has been abandoned by people in dormant accounts, and is even dwarfed by the amounts left unclaimed by Lottery winners.

The good thing is that unlike Lottery prizes, the prize can still be claimed at any time in the future. Nobody to blame except the person who owns the bond. There is also IR£200 million plus out there in banknotes and coins which were never changed into €uro.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Total winnings on 30k 500 euro in since April 21015.

Next month I will be putting another 50k into prize bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Last June you said it was €23K ? And you were having a run of good luck up until then.

Anyway, that's the 5th €50 so far this year on about €23k of bonds. my best year so far and still only June.

I only checked because I thought it was a very poor run on 35K. But of course even at 35K the odds are still very long.

That's correct. I've added about 10- 12k over the last 8 months or so but have not been having any extra wins, anyway, the first thing I do when I get a win is post here.:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭abff

That is very unusual. If we assume the numbers are randomly distributed, the chances of having no wins in four years with a €40k holding is less than one in a million. I wonder if there is some computer error that caused the numbers of your bonds to not be included in the register and therefore rejected if they happen to come up under the random number generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Are prize bonds a decent investment then?

or are you just doing it for curiosity sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭abff

I'm not sure it would make sense to put all your available assets into Prize Bonds. But if you have money that you want to hold in cash, either as part of an overall long term investment strategy or on a short term basis, then Prize Bonds will probably provide a better overall return net of tax than most of the alternatives. If you know you definitely won't need to access the money for a number of years, then other forms of National Savings will probably give a better return.

I've decided to put some money into the bonds. I'll post any winnings here (unless I win €1,000,000, in which case I won't tell anyone!).

Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Prizebonds are a mugs game. I have some my grandmother 'invested' in in the early 60' that have never paid out.

Bitcoin would be a far better investment, should the Chinese exchanges unfreeze in a few weeks with no seizures by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jesus even Rabodirect funds look better than these prize bonds! (I went up €1,000 on a €20,000 investment this month)

Wouldn't ETFs be a safer bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

mrcheez wrote: »
    Jesus even Rabodirect funds look better than these prize bonds! (I went up €1,000 on a €20,000 investment this month)

Wouldn't ETFs be a safer bet?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/thousands-affected-as-rabodirect-axes-investment-funds-1.2879161

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

colliemcc wrote: »

yep I know about that, hence why I said "even Rabodirect funds" are still doing better as they are on their way out.

But there are alternatives, such as ETFs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I'm not sure that I would describe PBs as an investment, they are essentially a holding facility for your cash, pretty much the same as leaving it in your current account in the bank. Handy enough in a time of minimal interest rates unless you want to invest in stocks or commodities, but with no risk to your capital. A bit of gambling without losing your stake

When I win the big one on Friday it will have been a good INVESTMENT.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Prizebonds are a mugs game. I have some my grandmother 'invested' in in the early 60' that have never paid out.

Bitcoin would be a far better investment, should the Chinese exchanges unfreeze in a few weeks with no seizures by the government.

What she needs to do is complain to the Prize Bonds Company. They will then give her a prize next week. That is according to a recent poster here, who says it worked for many others.

And win €50 the following week in this random draw just for enquiring like so many others in the thread.

Please let me know if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What she needs to do is complain to the Prize Bonds Company. They will then give her a prize next week. That is according to a recent poster here, who says it worked for many others.

I'll organise a seance.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

What an idiot prize bonds are a random draw. There is no favouritism or corruption with this draw. Every single prize bond gets added into the draw. The person that complained and won the following week that was by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

honey12345 wrote: »
    What an idiot prize bonds are a random draw. There is no favouritism or corruption with this draw. Every single prize bond gets added into the draw. The person that complained and won the following week that was by chance.
    Prove it.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

honey12345 wrote: »

Agreed. I remember the ads on TV from when I was a kid. They go in to big washing machines and a nurse pulls out the winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

There is probably corruption and favouritism if money is involved,I'm sure that the way things always were and will always be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Another €50 for me today (as I got €50 last week also). That is €100 since 1st January on c70K.
    For the whole of 2016 it was €750 winnings on that amount.

It is definitely fixed to give Dublin a lot of winners. They seem to get about 2,800 prizes every week, and the rest of the country only gets around 4,000. That is very unfair in a so called random draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

As I've said before, it's not difficult to have a system that is provably fair to a reasonable degree, it's unacceptable in 2017 to have it any other way.

Advertisement