Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

rizzee wrote: »
    Stupid question really - I have had prize bonds bought for me as a child but I don't physically know where the receipts/bonds are. All would have been bought in the same address (Current) . Is there a way to find out how many bonds I have in my name?

Just contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Gumbi wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have to check the receipt I have. I was waiting for some kind of confirmation by letter so that I can go ahead and start buying more online as soon as it's possible.
    I've bought prize bonds in the Post Office and via direct debit but to buy online I had to ring with my account number and wait a further week to be added to "that system" because they are all separate I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 newtonjo

rizzee wrote: »
    Stupid question really - I have had prize bonds bought for me as a child but I don't physically know where the receipts/bonds are. All would have been bought in the same address (Current) . Is there a way to find out how many bonds I have in my name?

Just contact them.
    You will probably have to supply proof of your identify,     we had to and it was a bit of a faff.  but we were also selling them so the situation might be different,     it involved lots of  questions and postal submission of info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I can click Statement Request Form here http://www.statesavings.ie/Pages/StateSavingsCustomerService-PrizeBonds.aspx

and go along that surely? At least you got sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I've bought prize bonds in the Post Office and via direct debit but to buy online I had to ring with my account number and wait a further week to be added to "that system" because they are all separate I was told.

Well that's a pain. Thanks anyways

• Advertisement

€50 - i can't rise to giving a smiley face ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 27th April 2018: €0
    Last win 29th September 2017: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2500
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

3 x e50 for me this week! Can't believe it!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Another €50 for me today, seems like we have a few winners this week, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well done to the winners - it’s about time. Nothing for us again this week. Last win was start of Feb.

• Advertisement

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Well done to the winners - it’s about time. Nothing for us again this week. Last win was start of Feb.

Hope your luck changes next week Cork Lass!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Patsy_Bond

Nowt again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

An article on the RTE website today

What are prize bonds and should I be buying them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0426/957383-what-are-prize-bonds-and-should-i-be-buying-them/

robwen wrote: »
    An article on the RTE website today

What are prize bonds and should I be buying them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0426/957383-what-are-prize-bonds-and-should-i-be-buying-them/
    Summary:
    If you manage to win at least one of the minimum value prizes a year, you'll likely be doing no worse than the interest rate on a savings account, and if you manage a bigger or multiple wins the return will be significantly higher.

The risk is minimal - you can't lose any money and all money invested in prize bonds is guaranteed by the State, with the maximum any one person can hold in bonds set at €250,000.

You'd just be forgoing the guaranteed c. 0.5% interest on deposits, but for most of us that's not a whole lot anyway.

I wonder if articles like these are trying to get a slice of the RaboBank pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you win and your bonds are registered (I’m being optimistic here) doyou get an email

• Registered Users Posts: 12 newtonjo

No,   you get a letter advising you have won with the bond detail and the amount,    then about a week later you get the bonds    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

No wins in over 6 months now, might need to consider alternatives.  Chances of winning are diluted continuously but I dont think amount of prizes has increased.

No wins in over 6 months now, might need to consider alternatives. Chances of winning are diluted continuously but I dont think amount of prizes has increased.

on that point I wonder why they don't increase the number of prizes? They must have so much more revenue than ever before, yet the amount or the value of the prizes haven't increased :confused::confused:

what happens all the money State Savings have? What do they do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Dáil bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

It is considered to be part of the National Debt of the Country

Had already decided I'd withdraw more next week. No winner so am going to double the withdrawal - it's a farce at this stage.:(:(:(:(

Winnings on 4th May 2018: €0
    Last win 29th September 2017: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2500
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €0

No Joy.
    Weeks since last win: 01

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Hi - new poster but I've been following this thread over the last year. I bought prize bonds last year due to low bank interest rates, flexibility to withdraw and security of prize bonds. Initially worked well (€50 prizes every few weeks) but it has dried up since the prize fund changed last year. Summary below:

Last win on 10th November 2017: €50
    Weeks since last win: 25
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    2017 (Jul-Dec): €50 x 5 = €250
    2018 (Jan-date): €0 x 0 = €0

it's ridiculous at this stage:mad:mad::mad:

PB2018 wrote: »
    Hi - new poster but I've been following this thread over the last year. I bought prize bonds last year due to low bank interest rates, flexibility to withdraw and security of prize bonds. Initially worked well (€50 prizes every few weeks) but it has dried up since the prize fund changed last year. Summary below:

Oh dear - that's really depressing. If you have €134K in Prize Bonds and cant win I'm not optimistic about the €25K I just put in this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Oh dear - that's really depressing. If you have €134K in Prize Bonds and cant win I'm not optimistic about the €25K I just put in this week!

Indeed! Although others seem to have better luck so hopefully it's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

it's ridiculous at this stage:mad:mad::mad:
    Soul destroying, nothing today, the longest period without a win, last win 22nd September 2017 €50euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PB2018 wrote: »

You identified the nub of the issue right there, low interest rates. The only way you can guarantee regular prizes is to put a lot more money into bonds. And I mean a lot more.

Look at the SL series in Kildare, or the ZN series in Laois in any recent draw. Those people win multiple prizes every week, but they have vastly more bonds than any of us.

Your 5 prizes over 10 months should have been 8 with average luck.

Advertisement