Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Kuva wrote: »
    I have 4.:P
    Probably not much point in checking every week then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Okon wrote: »
    Probably not much point in checking every week then! :D

I've as much chance of winning as you...(dont believe a word of it) imagine my surprised face when I open the Letter someday and it says a million. Ooooh.

Or does some man in black with shades come knocking with a briefcase, I open the door, he clicks open the case locks and spins it around on outstretched arms for me to have a look, I open really slowly incase it's full of spiders but it turns out it's crispy 50s!!!

Jaysus ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've as much chance of winning as you...(dont believe a word of it) imagine my surprised face when I open the Letter someday and it says a million. Ooooh.

Or does some man in black with shades come knocking with a briefcase, I open the door, he clicks open the case locks and spins it around on outstretched arms for me to have a look, I open really slowly incase it's full of spiders but it turns out it's crispy 50s!!!

Jaysus ha!

Not sure if you can fit Twenty Thousand crispy 50s into a briefcase?

my3cents wrote: »
    Not sure if you can fit Twenty Thousand crispy 50s into a briefcase?

I see it in the movies all the time... space to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I see it in the movies all the time... space to spare.

Google found me this http://geekbeat.tv/how-much-money-will-fit-in-a-briefcase/ and afaik crispy 50s are larger than the 100 dollar bills mentioned in that article.

/sorry going off topic folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

two weeks in a row would be too surprising :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

No Joy.
    Weeks since last win: 2

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Winnings on 28th September 2018: €0
    Last win: 17th August 2018: €50
    Weeks since last win: 6
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 8 wins in 65 weeks (12%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-date): 3 x €50 = €150

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Once again the wonderful new website has managed to congratulate me on a new win since the last time I logged in at the top of the page while commiserating with me on there not being any wins in the time period specified at the bottom of the same page... :rolleyes:

Do they expect you to delete all cookies and clear your browser cache before you log in or something?

tut, some people never happy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

😢

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How easy is it to deposit and withdraw funds in this?

I have a fair pile of money in my current accoint doing nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

Pussyhands wrote: »

1 month but it's a pointless endeavor - believe me - the returns are terrible now (although I beat the banks last year - not hard) unless you need zero risk for an undefined amount of time e.g. house purchase - stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

PB2018 wrote: »
    Winnings on 21st September 2018: €0
    Weeks since last win: 5
    Win ratio: 8 wins in 64 weeks (13%)

Why quote % in that fashion - s/b about .25%

Maybe because it's far more interesting to see the actual amount invested, the actual return v. a previous similar time scale, because other people (like me) like to see the nitty-gritty of returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It'll be sitting in PBs doing equally nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Taylor365 wrote: »
    It'll be sitting in PBs doing equally nothing :D

... but... in with a chance of winning something. (Even one €50 'prize' would be more than any interest a current a/c would give you.)

Plus, there's the fun aspect of hoping to get that envelope through the door on Tuesday morning with a cheque... I've only ever had one, but it was damn exciting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭John arse

Just don't expect to win anything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,022 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    1 month but it's a pointless endeavor - believe me - the returns are terrible now (although I beat the banks last year - not hard) unless you need zero risk for an undefined amount of time e.g. house purchase - stay away

That's too vague. Last year the nominal interest rate on Prize Bonds changed on 01 August. If you post what equivalent interest rate you got in prizes, it will be possible to make a comparison to other products.

Even twice in three weeks would be good news. :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭John arse

Nothing now since Feb on 130k+(the Money is going on a new house build shortly),so if you're on here looking for advice just don't expect to win a whole lot.i used to get something every few weeks before the rate changed but now it's just getting ridiculous!!!

No Joy.
    Weeks since last win: 3

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Ha
    John arse wrote: »
    Nothing now since Feb on 130k+(the Money is going on a new house build shortly),so if you're on here looking for advice just don't expect to win a whole lot.i used to get something every few weeks before the rate changed but now it's just  getting ridiculous!!!
    I had a hot-streak from Mar-Oct 2017 where I won 4 times but haven't won anything since. So that's a year without winning something. 

I think with the amount of people investing in bonds and the prizes going down I think in the last year your chances of winning have been reduced to 50% or more compared to 2017.  They should really increase the prizes for the amount of people that's in it.

Thinking of taking out my lump-sum and adding savings built up the last year or two to it and getting a bigger block of bonds (as others on this forum suggested before that this gives you a better chance of winning potentially) but if you haven't got something in 7-8 months on 130K then I dunno what chance I would have on a quarter of that. 

The alternative is a year in a term lump sum savings account but would only get 150 euro on that (at best) on present interest rates which is 3 wins in bonds so that isnt a very appealing alternative although its better then nothing which is what the bonds have given me this last year. 

Will leave my current lump sum in bonds for another 4-5 months and decide what to do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

John arse wrote: »
    Nothing now since Feb on 130k+(the Money is going on a new house build shortly),so if you're on here looking for advice just don't expect to win a whole lot.i used to get something every few weeks before the rate changed but now it's just getting ridiculous!!!
    Ah cmon now John!

It's a great resting place for the cash, don't want it working too hard now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us this week

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing again.����

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    Why quote % in that fashion - s/b about .25%

As it's a weekly update, I calculate based on "strike rate", just to show the chances of winning; to get the equivalent interest rate, I'd need to factor in compound interest, DIRT etc.

Winnings on 5th October 2018: €0
    Weeks since last win: 7
    Win ratio: 8 wins in 66 weeks (12%)

Stupid question incoming.......

......Could the prize bond rates be changed in the budget today?

• Advertisement

I am hoping the same:):):)

Advertisement