Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Nothing for me this week but my new 40k batch arrived bringing my holding to a total 100k, see how this goes with interest rates on the floor and recently informed from December 2020 my instant access account will no longer be paying interest so a move to prize bonds might be worth a gamble and the funds instantly accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ohlalala

A close relative won 1000 Euros a month ago ...
    Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I still can’t log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nor can I

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Website down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

I haven’t been able to login either so I used the search function for today’s winners and do believe that I had a €50 winner. I had cashed in all the small bits,so easy to check the bigger batches.
    Hope I’m right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ohlalala

Nor can I

System error
    Prize Bond Tracker Login is Temporarily Unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Login working now for me. €50 today exactly 1,000 numbers away from another one this year.

Up to date as of Friday 16 October 2020

16 Oct 2020
    Prize Bond Number Value of Prize
    MC928809 €50

09 Apr 2020
    MC927809 €50

184 £5 winners today 3.27%. BO540143 from Australia won. In the Unclaimed BO540138 and BO540150 both have €75. Could be the same owner.

Still unavailable on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Nothing for me this week but my new 40k batch arrived bringing my holding to a total 100k, see how this goes with interest rates on the floor and recently informed from December 2020 my instant access account will no longer be paying interest so a move to prize bonds might be worth a gamble and the funds instantly accessible.

A 100k in Prize Bonds??

sasta le wrote: »
    A 100k in Prize Bonds??
    Equals 16,000 prize bonds, there are others in this prize bond thread that have a lot more, one poster has€134k, another poster has 20,000 prize bonds which equals €125k, I love that Friday feeling in these very bleak times, good for the soul.:D

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Equals 16,000 prize bonds, there are others in this prize bond thread that have a lot more, one poster has€134k, another poster has 20,000 prize bonds which equals €125k, I love that Friday feeling in these very bleak times, good for the soul.:D

Jayus crazy
    Must be nice to be able to just have that much money just sitting there

Still can't log in but nothing extra in my account:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭John arse

A 100k in Prize Bonds??
    yeah ,you obviously haven't read many posts on here

Jayus crazy
    Must be nice to be able to just have that much money just sitting there

Don't worry about the Prize Bond people. The money is just resting in Prize Bonds waiting for a sage to come along to advise how to make a fortune.

Last year they bought €540 million in new bonds, but also cashed in €300 million existing bonds. That is more active than the approach of depositors who leave vast sums sitting in bank accounts for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pbtracker

Nothing again this week...thought I was on to something good in Aug when I bought a big batch and won twice in one month! Nothing since.

Winnings on 16th October 2020: €0
    Last win : €50 Aug 28th
    Investment :
    Up to Aug 2020 : €12K
    Aug 2020 : €72K
    Sept 2020 : €77K
    Total winnings to date: €150

It would take me 20 years to save 100k and that's no other expenses coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It would take me 20 years to save 100k and that's no other expenses coming up

Have you started ? If not a prize bond monthly direct debit for €400 will get you to €96,000 by 2040 and a few prizes along the way will help make up the difference. Thats how a lot of us got started. It's a great way to save, your capital is guaranteed and you can access your money in full or in part at any time. Good luck with it if you decide to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hi guys, I'm loving this thread! Everyone seems so nice and friendly. I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought my first batch of prize bonds! I'm going to take the above poster's advice and buy €400 worth of bonds every month. Wish me luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

With the State able to borrow at negative/near 0% interest rates, does anyone think the rate will be reviewed downwards again soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Website trolling me all weekend. Finally get access to check my numbers and nothing again this week. :)

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    With the State able to borrow at negative/near 0% interest rates, does anyone think the rate will be reviewed downwards again soon?

I thought it would go down before now. But I have revised my opinion for the future. They have stemmed the massive inflow from the high rollers with the 250K cap. And the PB overall fund is very small compared to the amounts in the NTMA savings products.

Premium Bonds are reducing theirs from 1.4 to 1%, but the NS&I savings products will be nearly zero. I think both schemes would get more bad publicity than would be warranted if they went as low as other products. Money Box on Radio 4 today had a discussion about zero or possible negative rates in the banks soon in the UK.

https://nsandi-corporate.com/news-research/news/nsi-reduce-interest-rates-24-november-2020#:~:text=Premium%20Bonds%20(effective%20from%20December,from%201.40%25%20to%201.00%25.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Have you started ? If not a prize bond monthly direct debit for €400 will get you to €96,000 by 2040 and a few prizes along the way will help make up the difference. Thats how a lot of us got started. It's a great way to save, your capital is guaranteed and you can access your money in full or in part at any time. Good luck with it if you decide to try it.

I wouldn't have the luxury of 400 euro a month spare

Wasn’t it confirmed here a year or so ago that it’s 500K for a joint account?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

\Winnings on 17th October 2020: €0
    Last win 25th September 2020: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3050
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300
    2020: €50 x 3 €150

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm loving this thread! Everyone seems so nice and friendly. I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought my first batch of prize bonds! I'm going to take the above poster's advice and buy €400 worth of bonds every month. Wish me luck ;)
    Good luck, I purchased my first Prize Bond in Sandyford Post Office Co Dublin in February 1985, the post office was in a small roadside cottage that's now long gone, I still have the Prize Bond from the AF series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭John arse

if the rate goes any lower any sort of a win will be a rare bird indeed.

I was thinking about this during the week given the latest round of deposit rate drops by the high street banks and especially with the October bank holiday coming up (state savings interest rate changes in the past have usually been announced over long weekends). And given that the state can access cheap/free money from other sources there is no reason for it to pay above the odds for state savings products. The rates are now out of line with the market and should be adjusted downwards. However in the past the pressure for rate reductions usually came from the banks who were concerned that the state was hovering up deposits and leaving them short. Based on their behavior at present it looks like the last thing the banks want is an inflow of funds and so there is unlikely to be any pressure from that quarter. I’m not sure what other factors influence the decision. Dxhound2005‘s point that they simply may not bother is also valid. On balance I would say a reduction is a strong possibility.

In any event trying to second guess a rate change is pointless where prize bonds are concerned as rates aren’t locked in and any rate change immediately impacts both existing holders and new purchases equally. Its a much more important consideration in the case of the fixed interest products as the rates are locked in for existing holdings and I am considering purchasing some of these before the bank holiday.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have the luxury of 400 euro a month spare

Well get started with whatever you can afford and increase the amount whenever the opportunity arises (pay increases, job changes, loans paid back) and you will be surprised how it grows and how good it feels after a year or two as your balance increases. Savings is a habit that anybody can acquire. The only trick is to get started now.

Advertisement