Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

No online results yet for today - it's now 2pm and I am hoping I won the million (as i hope every 2nd month!)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Came on here as the prize bond site also doesn't mention them taking a week off, wonder why they didn't release the results, Friday wasn't a public holiday and if they took it as such, they don't mention rescheduling the draw for another day.

I would imagine the draw was held (surely that is mandatory) but that the I.T. dept were still on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

There seems to have been a draw made today. No luck for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭oaklands

From the Prize bonds regulations....
    Draws for the award of prizes.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]8. [/FONT][/FONT]A draw shall be held each week in the presence of a representative of NTMA at such premises and conducted by such officers of the Operator as may be designated by the Operator with the approval of NTMA.
    So it appears from the PB website that the draw was made today Dec 30th, which means that no draw took place last week. On the face of it, this would appear to be a breech of the regulations by the NTMA.

The regulations don't seem to allow for 2 draws to happen in one week, which could also mean that today's draw could be invalid?

....same old....!...Sounds like another email to the PB company & NTMA is warranted for clarification.

An unofficial 'manual' collation of the PB regulations are available in this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Winnings from today's draw: €50....finally! First win in months.

Total winnings in 2013 on €22.5k: €200

Nice to win something in the last draw of the year but a very poor year overall. Way down on our winnings of €675 in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Winnings from 30/12/13 draw €0
    Last win 08/11/13 €150 (3x50)
    Total wins 2013 €1050
    Total wins 2012 €375

So for 2013 I won €1050 which is a 2.1% net return on my PBs, which I think is quite good compared to what was on offer from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from 30/12/13 draw - Nil
    Last win 1 x €50 on 13/12/13
    Total winnings for 2013 - €1,200

Happy New Year and Good Luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Winnings from 30/12/13 draw - Nil
    Last win 1 x €50 on 13/12/13
    Total winnings for 2013 - €1,200

Happy New Year and Good Luck to all!

Those are great winnings - how much do you have invested?

Oh a FOOL....€60K...but returns everywhere were so poor I thought to try the "Luck" option! Poor return really I suppose, but could have been worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Oh a FOOL....€60K...but returns everywhere were so poor I thought to try the "Luck" option! Poor return really I suppose, but could have been worse.

Well hindsight is great, but had you invested in any of the leading dozen ISEQ stocks, you would have earned at least € 30k - € 50k and probably much more.

Mind you there's nothing wrong in making a mistake so long as we learn from it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Sonnenblumen
    Are you saying had we invested in any of the leading dozen ISEQ stocks on the 1st Jan 2013 we would be at least 30k to 50k better off.
    Give us an example of how you came by this statement.
    And just for sake of hindsight and all that, why don't you invest 50 or 60k in one of the top dozen today and we will see how you do this time next year :)

Well hindsight is great, but had you invested in any of the leading dozen ISEQ stocks, you would have earned at least € 30k - € 50k and probably much more.

Mind you there's nothing wrong in making a mistake so long as we learn from it! ;)

I'm nervous of Stocks (and what can happen) but thanks for the comments...worth considering as time goes on. :confused:

Best wishes to the Sunflowers and Good Luck for 2014!

I'm nervous of Stocks (and what can happen) but thanks for the comments...worth considering as time goes on. :confused:

Best wishes to the Sunflowers and Good Luck for 2014!

Stockmarket(s) can be a bloodbath at times but with prudent risk spreading and taking a long view, it usually offers good returns. We've all been burnt along the way, but hopefully we're making more to cover any setbacks. There are no guarantees, but there are some which will be damned close and give you certainty and some gains.

Each time a big bubble bursts, everything is impacted, but 5 years on, many are back /ahead of the 2008 peak levels! But DYOR for 2014 and make it a good one! ;)

Sonnenblumen
    Are you saying had we invested in any of the leading dozen ISEQ stocks on the 1st Jan 2013 we would be at least 30k to 50k better off.
    Give us an example of how you came by this statement.
    And just for sake of hindsight and all that, why don't you invest 50 or 60k in one of the top dozen today and we will see how you do this time next year :)

Easy to work out, as the OP had € 60k, bigger returns for higher capital. Quite easy all you have to do is look at the 12 month charts for the ISEQ from any of the leading stockbrokers! But here are some current price examples (12 months earlier):

Aryzta 57 (39)
    Bank of Ireland 26 (12)
    Glanbia 11.5 (8.0)
    ICG 26.7 (19.7)
    Kerry 50.5 (40)
    Kingspan 13 (8.5)
    Smurfit 17.84 (9.3)

and several others including some which moved from ISEQ to LSE.

This is a public forum and we're here to exchange opinions, discuss etc. Details of my investments are like everyone else's a private matter.

Take it or leave it pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

oaklands wrote: »
    From the Prize bonds regulations....So it appears from the PB website that the draw was made today Dec 30th, which means that no draw took place last week. On the face of it, this would appear to be a breech of the regulations by the NTMA.

The regulations don't seem to allow for 2 draws to happen in one week, which could also mean that today's draw could be invalid?

....same old....!...Sounds like another email to the PB company & NTMA is warranted for clarification.

An unofficial 'manual' collation of the PB regulations are available in this post

So they breeched there terms what can be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 conorfonz

Hey,
    I was looking about buying prize bonds (for the first time) and was looking to do it on-line from the website. However, I get a message 'To proceed You MUST Enter a Valid Customer Account Number'. How do I get around this? Or where can I get a Valid Customer Account Number?

You can no longer buy prize bonds online if you are not a current holder of prizebonds i.e. you must already hold a prizebond on which you would find your Valid Customer Account No.

Hootanany wrote: »
    So they breeched there terms what can be done about it?

Well if you didn't win the $1M last Monday or the $20k tomorrow there could be a case that one or other draws could be contested as being invalid. It appears that they may have deprived everyone of winning the $1M last week!

Also, if it isn't a valid draw - tax could be due on all the winnings this week.

However, this is all very unlikely to happen....but if you won the $1M, cash the cheque ASAP :).

My real motivation & view is that the reason the country is in a mess, with so many people hurting, is because certain people in positions similar to the NTMA didn't adhere to basic rules and regulations, which is what they are (well) paid to do. So it is important to point out to the people running these organisations on our behalf when they 'may' have breached the regulations. If they did cock up, it might motivate them to improve controls in more important areas! If not they might just dot a few more 'i's in future etc...

They also failed badly by not placing a simple notification on their website, that the draw would be moved from Fri to Mon. I seriously doubt they would fail in a similar manner on their internal payroll.

I will post an update when I get a reply from them...

You can no longer buy prize bonds online if you are not a current holder of prizebonds i.e. you must already hold a prizebond on which you would find your Valid Customer Account No.

If you know someone (family or friend) with an acc no, they could buy it for you as a gift using the online facility !

Actually, you may be able to do it using any acc no and your own debit card, using the gift facility.(probably not an intended use). The acc no is on all PBs issued in recent years.

I think the max limit is 1.5k due to debit card limits 'per day' :D

• Advertisement

They also failed badly by not placing a simple notification on their website, that the draw would be moved from Fri to Mon.

Basic common sense and common courtesy!

Tuisceanoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

If you know someone (family or friend) with an acc no, they could buy it for you as a gift using the online facility !

Actually, you may be able to do it using any acc no and your own debit card, using the gift facility.(probably not an intended use). The acc no is on all PBs issued in recent years.

I think the max limit is 1.5k due to debit card limits 'per day' :D

I bought a lot more than that using my Debit Card a couple of months ago, I've heard of the 1.5k limit before but it doesn't seem to apply if the funds to cover it are resting in the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

nicelives wrote: »
    I bought a lot more than that using my Debit Card a couple of months ago, I've heard of the 1.5k limit before but it doesn't seem to apply if the funds to cover it are resting in the account.

It applied to me through AIB, I had to buy €1,500 per day until I had all I wanted. I don't get the point of that ridiculous limit at all, I asked them what if I wanted to buy a new car or house with my debit card and all they could say is you don't, apparently there is no way to get the limit removed either.

Winnings from 3/1/14 ... 1 x €50
    Last win 13/12/13 ... 1 x €50
    Total winning for 2013 ... €1,200

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

No winners today. that is all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Thud

Didn't see it posted in this thread so in case you missed it:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chances-of-winning-cash-on-prize-bonds-slashed-as-rate-cut-29860577.html

might be time to get out of prize bonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Just bought €1000 worth.

€0 won so far !

Cheque for 50 euro arived today!

Total winnings since 30/09/2012 : 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draws: €0
    Last win 22nd November 2013: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win 22nd November 2013: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1400

Advertisement